Metroplex
Sponsored by

Custom Suit and Shirts

12,304 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MW03
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a custom suit and shirt maker in Dallas. I've used Culwell and Sons several years ago but not sure if they have modernized. I've also reached out to J Hilburn but responsiveness is lacking.

Anyone else out there?
752bro4
AG
I've done both of thos and Lombardo. Happiest with Lombardo thus far. Though I am going to try Harry's, and see what his custom stuff is like next time.
'03ag
Just don't loan Lombardo 50 bucks.
EOE
D. Jones was started by an Aggie and I've heard god things. I've used Tom James for some shirts and blazers and have been happy.
bthotugigem05
AG
For a little less money I fly over to Hong Kong for a weekend and get mine from Sam's out there
East Dallas Ag
AG
You literally just missed the TexAgs Varsity tailor Bobby Garia, he was here through yesterday. He comes over from Bangkok takes your measurements and you pick out the fabrics and he goes back home has it made and mails it to you. He makes his rounds through Texas and other US cities 2-3 times per year so he should be back in the fall. I've bought 2 suits, 3 jackets, 3 slacks and at least a dozen shirts from him and been happy with everything, especially for the price. I can get you in touch with him, or you can find him under that name on Facebook - he communicates through FB messenger.
Duncan Idaho
bthotugigem05 said:

For a little less money I fly over to Hong Kong for a weekend and get mine from Sam's out there

If you are buying more than one suit, this is really the correct answer
HouseDivided06
AG
D Jones is now Harper and Jones. Drew is a great guy and they do good work. J Hillburn all depends on your contact there. My sister in law is a rep and has done well with them. I don't wear suits really but I have some shirts from them that I love. Feel free to PM me or email me at username at gmail and I'll put you in contact with her.
investorAg83
AG
Ive used yoursuitguy.com. Really good quality and value. In process of using Kens Mans Shop at Preston and Royal right now.

J Hillburn was nothing but problems. Service was good but we shouldn't have to fix everything multiple times.
YouBet
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. I may check out Ken's since it's right by my house but will also check out others.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
investorAg83 said:

Ive used yoursuitguy.com. Really good quality and value. In process of using Kens Mans Shop at Preston and Royal right now.

J Hillburn was nothing but problems. Service was good but we shouldn't have to fix everything multiple times.

I've known the guy who started yoursuitguy.com and have been friends with him since 1st grade. I have 8 suits from him in various branded fabrics and price ranges. I've been very pleased with the product and these type of purchases hold up very well compared to the off the rack items at MW and JAB that are crap tailored to fit. If you want his direct contact let me know and I'll get it to you. He's local up there as well.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

these type of purchases hold up very well compared to the off the rack items at MW and JAB
That is a very low bar to hurdle.
investorAg83
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

these type of purchases hold up very well compared to the off the rack items at MW and JAB
That is a very low bar to hurdle.
Ha! True. But I will vouch that YourSuitGuy puts out some quality pieces comparable to the custom clothiers.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I just meant that as an example. You can get into the custom suit game for what I view as a small but very worthwhile premium. I have to wear a suit everyday as well so it's definitely worth it to me.
Jill
AG
I have a contact at J Hillburn I can get you in touch with a.s.a.p.
YouBet
AG
Has anyone ever used Alton Lane?
wbt5845
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

I've known the guy who started yoursuitguy.com and have been friends with him since 1st grade. I have 8 suits from him in various branded fabrics and price ranges.
You either really like wearing suits or have a job where you must wear a suit. I am neither.

I own one suit (from Haggar Outlet store for about $100) because it's needed for weddings and funerals. I broke down and bought a sports jacket this year (my wife insisted) but haven't worn it yet.

IB4 LOLpoor - I earn a nice 6 figure income and live in a really nice DFW enclave - I just can't stand spending much on clothes, especially suits which I'd never wear.
752bro4
AG
wbt5845 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

I've known the guy who started yoursuitguy.com and have been friends with him since 1st grade. I have 8 suits from him in various branded fabrics and price ranges.
You either really like wearing suits or have a job where you must wear a suit. I am neither.

I own one suit (from Haggar Outlet store for about $100) because it's needed for weddings and funerals. I broke down and bought a sports jacket this year (my wife insisted) but haven't worn it yet.

IB4 LOLpoor - I earn a nice 6 figure income and live in a really nice DFW enclave - I just can't stand spending much on clothes, especially suits which I'd never wear.

What an odd post. Nobody asked if you wear suits, how much you make, or where you live. A thread (pun intended) about custom suits, and you own 1 $100 suit and never wear it? Maybe I next time just keep moving.
wbt5845
AG
I'm simply pointing out how most people, even highly compensated ones, are amazed when they see someone mention having lots of custom suits. I can't imagine anyone but a trial lawyer needing to spend many thousands of dollars on such apparel.

Hell, I work for a Fortune 500 company and I doubt our CEO spends that much on suits.
powerbelly
AG
wbt5845 said:

I'm simply pointing out how most people, even highly compensated ones, are amazed when they see someone mention having lots of custom suits. I can't imagine anyone but a trial lawyer needing to spend many thousands of dollars on such apparel.

Hell, I work for a Fortune 500 company and I doubt our CEO spends that much on suits.
You would most likely be incorrect.
Comeby!
AG
Why would you use anyone other than Bobby Garia? Excellent work and phenomenal value.
Fort Worth Realtor
AG
Has anyone tried the Ric Flair Collection from Mr. Custom Made?
TitanAGGIE09
AG
wbt5845 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

Umm.... weird reply, but yes I do wear a suit everyday and would prefer it to not look like my dads pass down who outweighs me by 50lbs or something.
BoDog
AG
Very weird reply, indeed!
Duncan Idaho
BoDog said:

Very weird reply, indeed!

Not really all that weird of a reply for that particular user.
HBCanine08
AG
East Dallas Ag said:

You literally just missed the TexAgs Varsity tailor Bobby Garia, he was here through yesterday. He comes over from Bangkok takes your measurements and you pick out the fabrics and he goes back home has it made and mails it to you. He makes his rounds through Texas and other US cities 2-3 times per year so he should be back in the fall. I've bought 2 suits, 3 jackets, 3 slacks and at least a dozen shirts from him and been happy with everything, especially for the price. I can get you in touch with him, or you can find him under that name on Facebook - he communicates through FB messenger.

What price range are we talking about for a suit or shirt from Bobby?
MW03
AG
Quote:

Suits from $499
Slacks and Chinos from $149
Jackets from $299
Shirts from $59
Jeans from $125
East Dallas Ag
AG
I bought 2 suits earlier this year, with shipping was $980 and he threw in a tie that is really nice. The quality of the suits for that price is insane.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Until you have had a custom suit it's hard to describe. If you are at all in shape, the difference is outstanding, and then you start to notice everyone else's cheap fabric and ill fits. I was a OTS Brooks Brothers and mall store guy until I got mine.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
East Dallas Ag I'd love to know when he comes back
FincAg
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

East Dallas Ag I'd love to know when he comes back

Ditto
Comeby!
AG
He has my sizes so I just ordered a new batch via Facebook.
Stive
AG
He'll be back in September most likely. He typically comes twice per year (March and then fall sometime) and usually hits Dallas, Austin, and Houston in Texas along with multiple other east and west coast cities. Most of the time he is in each city 2-3 days.
HBCanine08
AG
MW03 said:

Quote:

Suits from $499
Slacks and Chinos from $149
Jackets from $299
Shirts from $59
Jeans from $125

YouBet
AG
I tried Alton Lane. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.