Metroplex
Sponsored by

DNA/Genetic Precusor Testing - Need a recommendation

654 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RiskManager93
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a recommendation for doctors office that will test for the pre-cursors for cancer, Alzheimer's, dementia, ALS, etc. Has anyone done this in DFW?

I've looked at mail in saliva testing services and am not sure that I trust the accuracy of those tests so I'm hoping to find a doc that can do it locally. We're looking for someone in Carrollton, Plano, or The Colony/Frisco.

I'm also interested to hear what the cost was...

TIA.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
pathAG04
AG
you should start by seeing a genetic counselor. they can help assess your risk based on family history, help you with realistic expectations of genetic testing, and tell you what is actually available and clinically validated. baylor scott and white has genetic counselors at many of their medical centers. most adult medical center genetic counselors focus on cancer.
RiskManager93
AG
My wife and I underwent pre-implantation genetic disorder (PGD) testing as part of our attempt to start a family through in vitro fertilization (IVF). She suffers from a condition known as Basal Cell Carcinoma Nevus Syndrome (BCCNS) and we stood a 1:2 chance of passing it on to our children.

We used Dr. Mark Hughes out of Detroit, MI who is generally regarded as the Jonas Salk of the industry. Long story short, something happened and one of our sons has the condition. After his diagnosis was confirmed, repeated attempts to contact his office and find out what went wrong went unanswered. His office hides behind the fact that what he is doing is considered "research" and not a commercial endeavor despite the fact he advertises having performed thousands upon thousands of these procedures.

We were also introduced to the fact that because of what are known as "wrongful life / wrongful birth" statutes in Michigan (among other states), we were effectively barred from pursuing a claim against him.

So not knowing more about what it is you are hoping to accomplish via testing, whether you are simply trying to determine if you are a carrier of some condition or are trying to use it in conjunction with IVF, my only advice to you is that you fully comprehend what you are getting into. We certainly didn't. I wouldn't trade my son for all the tea in China, but nothing would make me happier than to sit across the table from Dr. Hughes and listen to him being deposed as to how he screwed our case up so badly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.