Metroplex
Sponsored by

Thoughts on The Bomb Factory

3,217 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fav13andac1)c
ceatm07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In town for business and was looking for something to do tonight. I heard an ad for The Bomb Factory on The Ticket.

Is this just a hipster hangout in Deep Ellum that one should steer clear of?
Scriffer
AG
It's a concert venue. Bon Iver is playing there tonight, so if you want to be colossally bored and can find tickets, go for it.

There are other good places to hang out down there though. A couple breweries and such.
walton91
As said, the Bomb Factory is a concert venue, and not a hangout. That neighborhood, Deep Ellum is pretty great though. Lots of great bars, restaurants, live music scattered around, Dallas Comedy House (free admission on Tuesdays), two breweries. You can always find lots to do
Old School Brother
Scriffer said:

It's a concert venue. Bon Iver is playing there tonight, so if you want to be colossally bored and can find tickets, go for it.

There are other good places to hang out down there though. A couple breweries and such.
LOL. I'm taking my wife to this concert tonight, trying to figure out how I'm going to sleep standing up.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Old School Brother said:

Scriffer said:

LOL. I'm taking my wife to this concert tonight, trying to figure out how I'm going to sleep standing up.
We went to Bon Iver in Austin on Saturday and had a blast.
PrincessButtercup
AG
The Bon Iver show is going to be amazing.
Scriffer
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Old School Brother said:

Scriffer said:

Who doesn't love a good nap?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Scriffer said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Old School Brother said:

Scriffer said:

Who doesn't love a good nap?
Shut up, Scriff.
Lt. Joe Bookman
YouBet
AG
I had my one and only mosh pit experience at The Bomb Factory back in the early '90s at a Hank Rollins concert.

It was nuts. Literally had my shirt torn from my body and didn't even know it until I got out of the chaos.
AW 1880
AG
Mosh pits in the 90s.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Old School Brother
What was your one song that was missing?
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Old School Brother
Nah, I knew a few songs. It's more my wife's thing, but I like his earlier stuff quite a bit. His latest stuff is a bit chant-y for me, but it was a good live show. His band is amazing, I couldn't stop watching the frizzy-haired drummer.
When he sat down at the keyboard at the very end, I was really hoping he would sing "I can't make you love me"...that was the missing song for me (and, yes, i know that's not his song).
jagged
AG
Bon Iver was awesome. Several other good shows coming up. Bomb factory is a very solid venue.
TresPuertas
AG
If you are looking to hang out down that direction there are plenty of great places. Anvil and Twilite are always fun for some more laid back drinks. Adair's is awesome as well

Uptown is just across the highway so you can do that too.

Have fun
Know Your Enemy
AG
Venue sucks
FTAco07
AG
Venue is awful unless you have balcony tickets. They cram way too many people in that place for big shows, and the sound sucks anywhere near the back or under an overhang.
mhayden
Like front row balcony for Jack White?
Know Your Enemy
AG
They oversell the venue. No doubt in my mind. Must be the same people that used to own Deep Ellum Live (which they just reopened recently as Canton Hall). They were notorious for taking cash at the ticket window for sold out shows.
Enviroag02
AG
Heard the Jack White show is forcing everyone to lock their cell phones in an inaccessible pouch for the entirety of the show.
TresPuertas
AG
Good
Pro Ag
AG
Bummed to hear about it potentially being oversold since I could only get GA tickets. However, it may be my only chance to see Jack White put on a show so I'll go anyway.
walton91
I don't understand this point of being "over sold". The lower level is all standing room, and there are limited seats in the balcony. Shouldn't you expect the most popular shows to be packed?
Know Your Enemy
AG
walton91 said:

I don't understand this point of being "over sold". The lower level is all standing room, and there are limited seats in the balcony. Shouldn't you expect the most popular shows to be packed?

I mean the fire Marshall would not be happy with how many people they have in their venue.
FTAco07
AG
It's shoulder to shoulder throughout the entire lower level. Good luck getting back to your standing spot if you have to go to the bathroom or the bar. Not to mention they make 4,500 people enter through one door with a line that stretches multiple city blocks.
500,000ags
AG
Bon Iver was great. When Creeks started you could have heard a pen drop. It was my second concert at BF. The acoustics are better than I thought they'd be honestly, it looks like a pure box from the outside. I always try to stand in between the stage and the engineers. The acoustics are going to suck the farther you get from them at any venue.
walton91
Junkhead said:

walton91 said:

I mean the fire Marshall would not be happy with how many people they have in their venue.
I get it. It was packed, but its also not 1983 in Deep Ellum anymore. The group that owns the BF, also owns Trees, and now Canton Hall. The managment would have to be insanely incompetent to risk the Fire Marshall shutting down their largest, highest profile, highest grossing venue which brings in the most popular artists to Deep Ellum
Know Your Enemy
AG
walton91 said:

Junkhead said:

walton91 said:

I get it. It was packed, but its also not 1983 in Deep Ellum anymore. The group that owns the BF, also owns Trees, and now Canton Hall. The managment would have to be insanely incompetent to risk the Fire Marshall shutting down their largest, highest profile, highest grossing venue which brings in the most popular artists to Deep Ellum
There's no way you can convince me that Sturgill Simpson was not oversold. We were packed in like sardines all the way at the back of the floor and the concourse are by the bar was loaded with people too. It was ridiculous. And I've talked to people who were at Bon Iver (I ended up selling my ticket because of the venue) who said it was the same way for that show.
Know Your Enemy
AG
And for the record, I paid cash at the ticket window of Deep Ellum Live for a sold out Chris Cornell show on the Euphoria Morning tour in March 2000. Let's not pretend like it wasn't common past the early 80's.
Old School Brother
I was at both sturgill and bon iver.

for sturgill, we walked up 30 min before doors opened and the line was maybe 30 deep. we ended up one person away from the stage right in front of sturgill's mic. but we knew that there was no way we could move to go to the bathroom or get a drink. we just stood there for 4 hours. that was as packed as i've ever seen that place. we had friends that "watched" the show from the very back by the stairs down to the merch area.

for bon iver, we got there about 45 min before doors opened and the line was several blocks down the street. but after that initial rush of people in the doors, it wasn't near as packed as sturgill. there was room to walk around on the edges of the place by the bars, etc.

so, if both of those shows were "sold out", i can definitely believe that they let extra people in for sturgill.
Comeby!
AG
I hear it's a high school kid's hangout.
Ol Jock 99
AG
free_mhayden said:

I hate you. Had presale, went in immediately, balcony sold out. Have GA.
mhayden
Ol Jock 99 said:

free_mhayden said:

I hate you. Had presale, went in immediately, balcony sold out. Have GA.

I deserved this one. These are the last tickets I purchased at Bomb Factory:

CANCELLED: SOUNDGARDEN
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Fri May 26, 2017
8:00 PM (Doors: 7:00 PM)

Artist Presale-Balcony Rail

SEC: Balc - House Left ROW: HL SEAT: 20
SEC: Balc - House Left ROW: HL SEAT: 21
SEC: Balc - House Left ROW: HL SEAT: 22
SEC: Balc - House Left ROW: HL SEAT: 23

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.