Metroplex
Sponsored by

State vetoes 635 eastern expansion

7,117 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bco2003
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2017/12/14/state-scraps-plans-partially-toll-635-east-leaving-expansion-limbo

The issue? Managed toll roads...just like those from 75 to 35. Such BS.
double aught
AG
What's BS? The halting of expansion? Or that part of it would be tolled?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Halting the expansion. It's ready. Funds appropriated. Plans done.

This is the way tollroads should be done too. ~80% of the road is "free" with some managed toll if you so choose.
aggielostinETX
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Halting the expansion. It's ready. Funds appropriated. Plans done.

This is the way tollroads should be done too. ~80% of the road is "free" with some managed toll if you so choose.

This was a bull**** power play. Pisses me off to no end.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

The busy freeway currently has four main lanes and one express lane in each direction. Some areas don't have frontage roads. The RTC-approved plan calls for five free lanes, two tolled managed lanes and continuous frontage roads in each direction.
Project would result in more free lanes than they have right now. This is nonsense. To the point above, if we're going to get anything done, this managed toll lane model is the way to do it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Agreed - 635 between 75 and I-35E was a huge success it has made it drivable again.

This is just petty politics.

I use the 635 part a lot and the option of the express lanes when i am in a hurry is great. I don't always take it, I check traffic before I leave and depending on that status and my need I use it or don't. Works great.

And the other ones in the area have been really good too - 114 up by Grapevine, 183, I-35 going up through Lewisville, etc. I-30 is debatable because it is still one of those alternating one way or the other setups.

I prefer those models with the options rather than the outright toll road like Bush.

Ag CPA
AG
It's even worse down in Austin with 35 getting shelved, they are F'd.
YouBet
AG
As someone who travels on that part of 635 that sucks. Upgrades are sorely needed.

I'm more surprised by Austin voting down their 35 expansion. That is crazy.
AgLaw
AG
This is what happens when you let Empower Texans determine your elections.
p-wonk01
AG
YouBet said:

As someone who travels on that part of 635 that sucks. Upgrades are sorely needed.

I'm more surprised by Austin voting down their 35 expansion. That is crazy.
This. Constant wrecks and bad design make the daily commute hell in this stretch.
double aught
AG
Ever travelled eastbound on LBJ early in the morning? The way the light reflects off the pavement is impressive. Lane lines become invisible. Visibility is reduced. It's quite the adventure!
YouBet
AG
double aught said:

Ever travelled eastbound on LBJ early in the morning? The way the light reflects off the pavement is impressive. Lane lines become invisible. Visibility is reduced. It's quite the adventure!

I usually take the Express Lane on this stretch which is also quite the adventure since the freaking concrete border walls jut out into the lane with every toll reader. If you aren't paying attention you could easily clip the wall as you travel under the toll.

And then I also love the big diesels that opt to use the Express Lane here especially the ones hauling huge equipment. I actually got caught behind one hauling tractors in the freaking express lane. Is that even legal?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Looks like grassroots are starting to get organized to push back.

https://lbjnow.com/

https://www.facebook.com/lbjnow/
walton91
Quote:

But Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick told commissioners last month that toll roads were no longer an option.
Has anyone read the suggestions of Abbott and Patrick since toll roads/managed lanes were no longer an option? Or does this really mean "toll roads are not an option during the Gov's re-election campain. Call back in 2019"?
YouBet
AG
walton91 said:

Quote:

But Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick told commissioners last month that toll roads were no longer an option.
Has anyone read the suggestions of Abbott and Patrick since toll roads/managed lanes were no longer an option? Or does this really mean "toll roads are not an option during the Gov's re-election campain. Call back in 2019"?

Interesting because I just read an article discussing Trump's infrastructure plan/philosophy is to start taking the federal government out of the equation for many of these infrastructure issues. That then leaves toll roads as an obvious means to fund these projects at the state level.
Ag CPA
AG
I know it's sacrilegious to say this but I wish they would just raise the state gas tax, it's one of the lowest in the nation and hasn't been touched since 1991.
Dallasag02
AG
Ag CPA said:

I know it's sacrilegious to say this but I wish they would just raise the state gas tax, it's one of the lowest in the nation and hasn't been touched since 1991.

This. Its one or the other. They've already started to try to rob the Prop 1 and Prop 7 funds that voters approved overwhelmingly to fund new roads in the last few years to make up shortfalls in the rainy day fund this past session. Just raise the gas tax or leave managed lanes alone. Without one or the other we fall behind.
YouBet
AG
I would have no problem with an increase to the gas tax but it also doesn't impact me as much as others. I only drive 8k miles per year because we made a choice to live urban, near work.

Where this will get sticky is the electronic car angle. I believe California is looking at applying a road use surcharge to account for both gas and non-gas vehicles, but their mix of those cars is probably way different than ours too.
walton91
Oregon experimented with a "pay per mile" driving fee. People paid a set tax per mile driven, measured by a device put on their car. I like an idea like this because it might break the idea that a lot of people seem to have in their head that driving should be "free" despite the enourmous costs associated with highway construction and maintenance. Drive more, pay more.

Quote:

car owners who volunteer for the program are charged 1.5 cents per mile, measured by a device added to their car. Participants are refunded for state gas taxes they pay at the pump, and out-of-state travel doesn't count toward the total.

Drivers with efficient cars would pay more than they do with a gas tax, while gas-guzzlers would pay less...Over time, as cars become more efficient, a mileage-based program would make up for gas tax shortages...because the [road usage charge] model is not susceptible to increased vehicle fuel efficiency.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/06/26/oregons-pay-per-mile-driving-fees-ready-for-prime-time-but-waiting-for-approval/
YouBet
AG
In that model, why would I ever buy an EV? The ROI is already questionable and now I would pay more than a gas car for use of roads, to boot.

Regardless, it sounds like it's not happening anyway, but they are going to go after those free-loading bike riders who don't pay their fair share!
walton91
Its not perfect, for sure. On some level, I'd like to read about TXDOT looking into, or experimenting, with different alternatives like this. Maybe they are looking into some innovative stuff, and I just never see it. Just feels like we are stuck in a bad dream of aging infrastructure. Lege won't raise gas tax, or completely fund TXDOT for construction and maintenance of these projects, while Guv and Lt Guv rule out managed toll lanes.
YouBet
AG
Agreed.
walton91
Update in the Morning News. Headline pretty much sums it up. TXDOT redesigned the financing to get some of this done with available funds, but there is still a large funding gap

With LBJ East ready for a green flag, state transportation officials throw up stop sign

Quote:

We know it's important. We know it's important to move on it," TTC chairman J. Bruce Bugg said during Thursday's meeting. "But $1 billion is the gap. It's not dotting I's and crossing T's."
Ol Jock 99
AG
The gap is because our esteemed "leaders" demanded that they drop the totally optional toll express lanes. Because....reasons.
Dallasag02
AG
I think this may all just be a stall tactic to get the republican leadership past the March primaries where they're being challenged by neanderthals who think optional toll lanes are evil. Hoping against hope that we see the tolls back on the table by April.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Dallasag02 said:

I think this may all just be a stall tactic to get the republican leadership past the March primaries where they're being challenged by neanderthals who think optional toll lanes are evil. Hoping against hope that we see the tolls back on the table by April.
The problem with that is that it is the neanderthals doing the stalling. Oh, hi Senator Huffines.
Dallasag02
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Dallasag02 said:

The problem with that is that it is the neanderthals doing the stalling. Oh, hi Senator Huffines.

I know, wishful thinking on my part.
DannyDuberstein
AG
To quote Dennis Miller "Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here...", but so many people want something for nothing these days. Half of the country pays no income tax, yet they bleed us dry in a million other ways. It's a shame to see something important like this - something that really is one of the fundamental activities that the govt should be doing vs. the million it does but shouldn't, get caught up in the bull*****
Ol Jock 99
AG
The fact that Huffines didn't even get a primary challenger speaks to the level of political engagement by the masses.
AgLaw
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The gap is because our esteemed "leaders" demanded that they drop the totally optional toll express lanes. Because....reasons.
Because that's what they've been told by the West Texas billionairs who fund them.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I guess tollroads are a problem in Rising Star these days?
AgLaw
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The fact that Huffines didn't even get a primary challenger speaks to the level of political engagement by the masses.
Don't forget his twin brother who is pitted in Collin County against Ken Paxton's wife for Van Taylor's open Senate seat. it's a race to see who can be more conservative.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Musers on Campaign Ads

Sadly not far off. "Victor Rodriguez Gonzales a Republican? I don't think so."
AgLaw
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Musers on Campaign Ads

Sadly not far off. "Victor Rodriguez Gonzales a Republican? I don't think so."
"She loves police and kids and promises we're all going to heaven."
Dallasag02
AG
"Margaret Ricardo is just Wendy Davis in a Sombrero."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.