Metroplex
Sponsored by

18 wheelers and slow drivers in 114 express lanes

2,147 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Pilot
TexasAggie008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why?
752bro4
AG
Because people are typically dumb, inconsiderate, not paying attention, and have no awareness as to what they are doing. Sadly, this is not just related to 114 drivers. My commute every single day up and down 75 involves at least a few idiots cruising at 55 or 60 in the left lane.

I wish DPS/DPD would begin ticketing this behavior and making a big movement for awareness that driving in the left lane while not passing means you're an ashsole.
culdeus
AG
Someone is going to ferris bueller on the 635 upslope near the galleria someday. I see people doing 110 down there all the time.
Pro Ag
AG
My biggest frustration with the 114 express lanes. At least the 183 and 635 have multiple lanes so you can pass folks like that.
TexasAggie008
AG
Well , flat out banning 18 wheelers from using them would be a step ... and utility vehicles etc. ridiculous they didn't think of that
AG
culdeus said:

Someone is going to ferris bueller on the 635 upslope near the galleria someday. I see people doing 110 down there all the time.

Erik Williams?
helgs
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

Well , flat out banning 18 wheelers from using them would be a step ... and utility vehicles etc. ridiculous they didn't think of that
I know, right? Why would they want to include those vehicles, and charge them extra per axle and make more money? Those companies hate money, right?
helgs
AG
I hate the fact that there are only on-ramps to the express lanes every 5-10 miles or so. You have to basically predict the traffic because the on-ramp (in Las Colinas going west-bound towards DFW airport) is in an area that always flows well, and the traffic (if any) is miles ahead. But if you don't get on it, then you're stuck in traffic and would greatly be a paying customer.

Nothing more that I hate in driving is when you get on an Express lane and the regular lanes are flowing just fine (and in some cases, like OP, going faster than you because you're stuck behind an idiot).
TexasAggie008
AG
helgs said:

TexasAggie008 said:

I know, right? Why would they want to include those vehicles, and charge them extra per axle and make more money? Those companies hate money, right?
Estimate the $/year they expect from 18 wheelers as it is now, then ban them and make the cost for other vehicles whatever it takes to even it out....If 18 wheelers gum up a brand new one way, non passable express lane, many people will just say screw it and not use it....The fact that anyone thinks its totally fine for a lumbering 18 wheeler to chug along at 60MPH in these things is surprising.
realestateguru
AG
Yep that would be me but I try to keep it just below 100.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well pull to the right lane because you are slowing the rest of us down.
Gil Renard
AG
Gordo off the remainder of the year after today

Kimme kimme just kimmme
AggieLumberjack
AG
Texpress does not mean text express. Every time I exit the express lanes and pass the slow ass that was holding up the line, they are on their damn phone.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
helgs said:

I hate the fact that there are only on-ramps to the express lanes every 5-10 miles or so. You have to basically predict the traffic because the on-ramp (in Las Colinas going west-bound towards DFW airport) is in an area that always flows well, and the traffic (if any) is miles ahead. But if you don't get on it, then you're stuck in traffic and would greatly be a paying customer.

Nothing more that I hate in driving is when you get on an Express lane and the regular lanes are flowing just fine (and in some cases, like OP, going faster than you because you're stuck behind an idiot).

Well thats kinda why the function well - fewer onramps means everyone can't just jump on from anywhere otherwise they would just be another highway with exits/entrances at every crossroad.

But I do have 2 pieces of advice for determining whether you need to get on them:

1. assuming those (at 114) operate the same as LBJ Express lanes - the dollar amount to use them fluctuates with the traffic flow and usage. So typically when you see the posted amount before the entrances the higher the amount the more you probably need to get on. The rate goes higher when traffic is bad up ahead. If the rate is low it is probably clear up ahead.

but primarily I do this ....

2. I always look at active/live traffic maps on Google (there are others though) before I go if I am heading through one of the Express lane areas. You can almost always see if the traffic is bad (yellow/red on google) along that stretch and if it is - you need to use the Express lanes. On rare occasions it is a bit delayed and it might be cleared or clearing already (or starting to get bad) but 95% o the time if it is green (clear) when I look at it, then it is fine when I pass through (10-15 mins later) and if it is red then it is congested when I pass thru.

culdeus
AG
What level of verification do they have that if you somehow figure out how to register an HOV trip on the express, that you actually do the HOV?

Another really odd express thing is the TI BlVD exit. There is nowhere for cars to go as they exit onto TIBlvd and you can see 30 to 50 cars stacked up there in rush hour. No idea why they didn't pipe that ramp to the lighted intersection on the south side of 635.
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

Because people are typically dumb, inconsiderate, not paying attention, and have no awareness as to what they are doing. Sadly, this is not just related to 114 drivers. My commute every single day up and down 75 involves at least a few idiots cruising at 55 or 60 in the left lane.

I wish DPS/DPD would begin ticketing this behavior and making a big movement for awareness that driving in the left lane while not passing means you're an ashsole.
The greatest thing happened this morning.

Driving North on 75 around 635, in the far left lane. I can see ahead that there is a white van humming along at a solid 50-55, keeping us all in the 45-50ish range. There's a huge (yuge) gap between the van and the next car (1,000' maybe?). As we continue North, a few cars are able to move to the right, and pass, move back over to the left, but there are probably 10-12 cars in front of me before the van.

Finally around Arapaho, I see an opening, go for it, hit about 80 passing in the 2nd lane, move over to the left lane while the cargo van keeps on keeping on, oblivious to what's happening. In my right side mirror, I see the red and blues flashing from RPD and think they've got me for speeding. I slow down and start moving over and the RPD guy gets right behind me, then changes lanes to get right behind the van, and pulls them over.

I carry on my happy way and start seeing the van switching lanes to the right.

I can only hope this was for left lane slow driving.
The Pilot
AG
We need more tickets for left lane drivers. My fiance is guilty of this at times, I'm trying to change this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.