Metroplex
Sponsored by

Enchant in Arlington seems like a big scam

4 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FDXAg
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We used to go to the Christmas market they had at Globe Life Park and enjoyed it. However, now the market is part of Enchant, which costs $25.

For that $25, I think you get to look at lights and go through a maze. They have ice skating, but you have to pay extra. They have music I guess. And then you can go shopping at the market. There's a kid play area that I guess is a big selling point, but not for me.

Has anyone else gone to this? Did you feel like it was a rip off?
permabull
AG
PatAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

We used to go to the Christmas market they had at Globe Life Park and enjoyed it. However, now the market is part of Enchant, which costs $25.

For that $25, I think you get to look at lights and go through a maze. They have ice skating, but you have to pay extra. They have music I guess. And then you can go shopping at the market. There's a kid play area that I guess is a big selling point, but not for me.

Has anyone else gone to this? Did you feel like it was a rip off?
Everyone I've spoken to in the DFW is pretty disappointed with the choice this year. The Christkindl was fun to go to, check out the shops, maybe grab some German food. Now it's just a blatant money grab, really interested to see what the attendance will be .
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
We went to ICE at the Gaylord. I went about 8 years ago and had a good time. Now it is just packed and upsell central.

When I went long ago it was for a corporate thing so maybe some of our stuff was covered without me realizing it (was for my wife's company) but now it's very......monetized.
Stormchaser
AG
Grandkids liked it. It was ok. I would rather ride around and look at lights in neighborhoods that go all out.
Robert C. Christian
AG
I think this is the first year it is open, at least in this form. Interested to see how others thought of it.
lawless89
Went last night. Complete waste of money. You're much better off driving around neighborhoods to look at lights.
TresPuertas
AG
For those who have been:

Is the Christkindl market still there? I've always wanted to go out there and check it out, but it sounds like its been overtaken by this other attraction.

My kids are just now of the age that I think they'd enjoy such a thing, but I'm not sure I'm paying a $25 entry fee to go to a German Market.

What else does this Enchant entail? What does $25 get you?
PatAg
AG
TresPuertas said:

For those who have been:

Is the Christkindl market still there? I've always wanted to go out there and check it out, but it sounds like its been overtaken by this other attraction.

My kids are just now of the age that I think they'd enjoy such a thing, but I'm not sure I'm paying a $25 entry fee to go to a German Market.

What else does this Enchant entail? What does $25 get you?
a big light maze, outdoor ice rink, apparently some sort of kids playground

The market was neat, but not neat enough to pay $25 for, imo. I won't be going up there this year.
aglaohfour
AG
Everyone I know who has gone so far has said it was a huge waste. We'll be skipping it.
wbt5845
AG
They were really talking it up on Fox 4 this morning. The rep from Enchant said days close to Christmas were "almost sold out" so buy your tickets today!

The market was really cool in previous years. And we spent a lot of money there. But we're not going to pay $25 for the privilege of spending money there.
bco2003
AG
I'd be upset if I were a vendor at the market. I can't imagine that charging $70+ for a family would increase the foot traffic at my shop.

To echo the others, we've enjoyed the market previously, but won't be going this year.
lawless89
Oh and either ya'll are wrong or I got ripped off even more, but it was $40/person not $25. I went on Sunday night and paid at the gate. Freaking $80 to walk around for maybe 20 minutes.

And upon some research, it looks like I did get screwed. Apparently, it's cheaper to buy online and not the same day. I bought at the gate before we walked in. Could've saved $30. Oh well...don't waste your money here like I did.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would've turned around at $40.
aggielostinETX
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I would've turned around at $40.
She must have been hot.
Absolute
AG
Have been thinking about ICE. This discouraged me.

We took our daughter, my dad and his girlfriend on the horse carriage ride through Deerfield in Plano last year to see their lights and it was fun. Don't remember exact cost, but felt good about it.
aglaohfour
AG
I think ICE is worth the money at least once. It's a novelty, and our kids had such a good time last year. We won't be making it at annual thing, but I can see us going every 3 or 4 years until the youngest isn't into it anymore. We've made a little staycation out of the Gaylord a couple times in the summer (the water park is nice), and once for ICE, and we've not regretted it.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

I think ICE is worth the money at least once. It's a novelty, and our kids had such a good time last year. We won't be making it at annual thing, but I can see us going every 3 or 4 years until the youngest isn't into it anymore. We've made a little staycation out of the Gaylord a couple times in the summer (the water park is nice), and once for ICE, and we've not regretted it.

Yeah, if you stay there it is probably a better experience as you get to skip the line.

We also went over Thanksgiving week when it was half price - probably much less crowded at other times.
Absolute
AG
Good to know, thanks. Will keep it on the list.
bco2003
AG
Got some coverage in the DMN today:

Quote:

Arlington, home of the Texas Christkindl Market, is betting that visitors won't mind paying to get a little extra holiday spirit when they visit the formerly free market. So far, that gamble appears to be paying off as Enchant Christmas which bills itself as the world's largest Christmas light maze and market drew more than 12,000 visitors on each of its first three days.
More important, Christkindl wasn't sustainable in the long run if it operated under its previous conditions, Mullen said.

"There is a big group of people who have worked on this for years with all of their hearts," Mullen said. "We love this market just like our community does, but our job has always been to find ways to keep it going."
"We've been really pleased with the responses," said Kathy Beazley, spokeswoman for Vancouver-based Shine Lighting Group, which stages Enchant Christmas at its location next to Globe Life Park. "People are really amazed by the artistry of it."
Arlington was chosen to stage Enchant over several cities, including Houston, Atlanta and Tempe, Ariz., Beazley said.
The plan is to make Enchant a touring event that will visit several cities over the holidays beginning next year. It will also return to Arlington in 2018, Beazley said, "but it will have a totally new theme and a totally new look."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2017/11/29/far-visitors-mind-paying-visit-arlingtons-enchant-market
proc
AG
I am probably biased. But we went last night for my son's surprise engagement, and we all thought the place was beautiful. My 13 year old daughter also really enjoyed it. So for large groups, teen daughters, impress your date stuff I recommend.

The place was also practically empty, so no lines. Not sure I would go on a weekend.
FDXAg
AG
Went last night too and enjoyed it. No crowd, but that was probably because the Cowboys game was going on last night a block away.

The lights really are amazing. Disclaimer though: I didn't pay for my tickets for my family of 5. I liked it, but wouldn't have paid $125 for it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.