Metroplex
Sponsored by

DFW is the Best City in Texas

2,675 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by John Francis Donaghy
Strategy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've lived in Austin, Laredo, Houston, and Dallas. Been to San Antonio on numerous occasions and the western part of the hill country is special.

Austin is wildly over populated and filled with hipsters and lib Yankees. Any special place or restaurant is packed with non Texans.

Laredo is the arm pit of the state.

I'm in Houston now for the holidays and man what a ****hole. It's like the international terminal of a 2nd world country. Damn I'm proud of the Astros but this city is filled with miscreants, humid as balls and ghetto trashy. Weird seeing a strip club and a landscaping store side by side..whIle passing a building that has been burned down for months.

Zoning is everything really appreciate that about North Texas. Don't care to argue food and sports teams but the non zoning makes parts of Houston look like Mexico. Totally destroys any since of community and ruins and history.

I remember when Houston had Nasa, the Astrodome, and Astroworld. City has no history anymore.
AG
wbt5845
AG
Technically, DFW is not a city.

But I get your point.
Chewy
AG
The funniest part about Texas city smack is nobody ever comments about how amazing the major cities in Texas are and different. You can choose your city that best suits you while still living in the greatest state in the world. It's different strokes for different folks and it's amazing.

San Antone - lots of history maintained with a strong Mexican culture influence with a solid job market.

Austin - west coast/hippie/liberal/techie vibe with crappy traffic but the best scenic views.

Fort Worth - a Western culture with a unique blend of mainting the city's history while creating modern development. Make no mistake Fort Worth is not Dallas.

Dallas - a city that has the higher end things like certain parts of New York, Chicago, L.A. Money and status is a major driver. Lots of financial, corporate, and consulting jobs. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing but it's by far the most segregated major city in Texas. North and South are starkly different. That's not a knock but a reality some people enjoy which is fine. Everybody gets along expect for City Council fighting over money. The fact that everybody gets along just fine is Dwayne Carroway and The Musers.

Houston - a city that makes no sense to anyone except for the 2.3 million that live in the city proper. There's 4 more million in the burbs that are proud Houstonians and associate themselves with Houston. Those folks are over the fact there's no zoning and actually enjoy the fact there's high end restaurants and shopping in non descript shopping centers. It's the most diverse city in the state with a huge international influence. It's also got more money than most people realize because it's not flaunted. People just go on about their business not being worried Houston will never win any beauty contests and people that have never lived there don't understand. They have too much going on in the city to worry about what anyone else thinks. I've always felt Houston and A&M are very similar.

Bash other Texas cities all you want but I wish more Texans would recognize the uniqueness of each city and how they offer different things to different people. It's an amazing state with amazing cities. Beats the **** out of being in Ohio and having to choose between Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati.
george07
AG
Good post chewy. I'm from Houston and have lived in fort worth for 7 years. So many haters on both sides. I love my hometown.... people who aren't from there don't get it and that's fine. Kind of like outsiders don't get a&m. Personally I loved the restaurants, culture and amenities in Houston. Humidity is something you acclimate to just like anything else. We should all appreciate the cities our state has to offer.
Gil Renard
AG
Lived in SA, Alpine, San Marcos, college station, houston, dallas and now Allen. I have loved every stop good post chewy n reb
AgLaw
AG
You night even add Collin County as its own region, separate from Dallas. Fiercely suburban, with a rapidly growing corporate community and work/play/live culture. Texas' version of the OC.
Canyon99
I moved south of Dallas a couple of years ago and work in Dallas and have to say the city does not feel like Texas to me. Too many damn transplants from out of state.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Never understood posts like the OP has made.

Texas is a diverse State. If you don't like somewhere, don't go there.

I have lived all over Texas (presently DFW) and love every part of it.

Why do people make posts like this?
YouBet
AG
We live in Dallas proper and enjoy it. We are about 10-15 minutes from everything. Love San Antonio and actually headed there for a stay between Christmas and NYE just to get out of town.

Born in Houston and always liked the haphazard, chaotic nature of it. Food is excellent because of the international diversity.

Not a huge fan of Austin anymore. Liked it when I was younger, but its in this weird phase somewhere between it's funky roots and trying to be a big city but without any of the big city amenities.
Ag CPA
AG
pepe the dog said:

Never understood posts like the OP has made.

Texas is a diverse State. If you don't like somewhere, don't go there.

I have lived all over Texas (presently DFW) and love every part of it.

Why do people make posts like this?
Maybe so we can discuss something on this board besides the best hambuger, Dallas versus the burbs and whether or not the Snake is a ****** (he is).
AG
walton91
AgLaw said:

You night even add Collin County as its own region, separate from Dallas. Fiercely suburban, with a rapidly growing corporate community and work/play/live culture. Texas' version of the OC.

What is "fiercely suburban"?
AgLaw
AG
Folks fighting urbanization.
sherminator
If you are from Canyon, Texas. You might as well be from out of state.
752bro4
AG
walton91 said:

AgLaw said:

white flight
AgLaw
AG
Actually, that's incorrect. Collin County is one of the more diverse counties in Texas. While the African-American population aligns with the state figures, Colin County has large Hispanic and Asian populations.
gig em 02
752bro4 said:

walton91 said:

AgLaw said:

white flight

You know how I know you have never been out in Collin County?
Post removed:
by user
752bro4
AG
gig em 02 said:

752bro4 said:

walton91 said:

AgLaw said:

white flight

You know how I know you have never been out in Collin County?
Let me re-phrase that - getting away from "urban" flight
AgLaw
AG
In my mind, Indian is included in the larger "Asian" category, but to your point, even the Asian community is diverse. Lots of Far East Asians and lots of southern Asians.
AgLaw
AG
To clarify, when I said fighting urbanization, I meant fighting density. There is a very loud contingent up here arguing against apartments, townhomes, condos, etc. They want any development to be single family residential.
double aught
AG
Next question: What is a work/play/live culture?
powerbelly
AG
double aught said:

Next question: What is a work/play/live culture?
You can live, work, and recreate in the same city/location.
Duncan Idaho
AgLaw said:

In my mind, Indian is included in the larger "Asian" category, but to your point, even the Asian community is diverse. Lots of Far East Asians and lots of southern Asians.

It is almost like India is a part of asia.
John Francis Donaghy
Good post overall. But I would take issue the comparison to Ohio's cities. Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus are actually all very different from one another as well.

Columbus is an overgrown college town and rapidly growing tech hub, not terribly unlike Austin, but with less Californians.

Cleveland is an old sprawling heavy industrial center that has more in common with Buffalo and Pittsburgh than Columbus or Cincinnati. It's coming back slowly, but is about 10 years behind Pittsburgh.

The southernmost third of the Cincinnati metro is in Kentucky and as a result has a decidedly southern flair, and southern accents are very common. The city itself is much more similar to Louisville than it is to Cleveland or Columbus. Closer too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.