Metroplex
Sponsored by

Anyone live in Light Farms neighborhood in Prosper?

14,954 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
Micah97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are thinking about buying a house out there. If you live in the neighborhood, curious if you have any issues with the train? Also I heard that there is a mouse problem in the neighborhoods due to the new construction. Any validity?

Thank you in advance.
OldArmy07
AG
Sister & Brother In-law live in the neighborhood. They like it and haven't mentioned the train. Maybe they live far enough away that they can't hear it.

Didn't mention mice either, but I don't know that mice would keep me from buying a house. It's likely only temporary until they build out that area in 3-5 years.

Also, pay attention to MUD taxes. They did mention that they weren't aware of the lack of end date on the MUD rates so it's like having 2 property tax bills out there every year.
Micah97
AG
Thank you so much for the quick reply.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Not 100% sure but I believe Prosper has an ordinance where the horn isn't blown in city limits, which I believe parts of LFs are in.
Baba Ganoush
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

Not 100% sure but I believe Prosper has an ordinance where the horn isn't blown in city limits, which I believe parts of LFs are in.

There is an ordinance or rule or some such but the guys running the trains ignore it. They always blast the horn going through town. That being said, unless you live really close to the tracks you don't really notice it.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Good to know. My parents live about 10 miles north of LF and about 100 yds from the train tracks and you can hear the train loud and clear. After 14 years though, they've gotten used to it.
BigNastyNate
AG
And Light Farms is in Celina... Prosper ISD though.
cadetjay02
AG
Besides the taxes, know that you'll have to drop $8k on a pimp my ride golf cart to fit in. Also know that Frontier Parkway is going to be a nightmare once they start working on it. Tollway and 380 is a pain to say the least.

I'm near Prosper Trail and Preston do I don't have to deal with that area too much. Have you looked at Mustang Lakes?
turfaggie24
AG
Looking to move in the area you mentioned. Train tracks are about 100 yards away as well. North or south side of Gunter?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
tur***gie24 said:

Looking to move in the area you mentioned. Train tracks are about 100 yards away as well. North or south side of Gunter?
Try in Gunter.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
If I'm not mistaken, the other side of the railroad tracks is non-city limits so they're just in Gunter proper.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Not to hijack the thread... Do you have a realtor out here? Wife and I are looking to buy out here within the next year and are looking for recommendations. My folks have been in the same house for a while like I mentioned and they're old realtor retired and moved out of state.
turfaggie24
AG
I recommend Cody Robinson. He's an Aggie and frequents the real estate board.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Thanks, Turf!

I'd love to help anyone looking in the area. I own a brokerage up here and have lived in Prosper since 2010 (and Frisco for 14 years before that).

You will hear the train from time to time. They are not supposed to blow the horn, but sometimes they do. My clients that live there say they get used to it and it is not a bother long term.

I know the builders out there very well, and I'd bet you money I can get you the best deal....lots of long term relationships and my wife (and co owner of brokerage) was in that industry for a long time. I'd strongly suggest you use a good agent if you are buying new construction....one that knows the new home side of the business.

I'm always available to help a fellow Ag. There's also a rebate I offer for TexAgs users, but I promise you that's just a nice thing on top of the service I will give you.

Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

or

Cell 972-365-0432

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
wbt5845
AG
Serious question - where do you work? I don't understand how people can live so far away if they work in Dallas or Fort Worth.
OlRock
AG
We are probably one of the houses furthest away from the train, so I haven't had any issues. The train isn't supposed to blow the horn at the crossing near the school, but sometimes it happens. You can hear the horn when it's blown at Frontier as well. Also, sometimes the train parks on the tracks at the crossing near the school. I still can't imagine living as close to the tracks as some do, but I guess you'd get used to it. I believe they are currently designing the new Frontier which will negate the at grade crossing, eventually making it a no horn crossing as well.

The mice are annoying, but it's not a problem for us. We haven't had any in the house that we know of in over 2 years. They are most prevalent right now when they are seeking warmth. We keep glue traps in the garage and will catch them regularly this time of year. We back to a greenbelt so we get them on our back porch and they can leave a mess. When I start seeing their droppings I'll keep traps out there as well. We had mice when we lived in Frisco early on and they subsided over time. You just have to stay vigilant. At least they aren't the giant rats we've seen at friend's in dallas. We have friends that don't back up to greenbelts and they haven't had any issues they know of.

There was another thread about light farms on here not too long ago BTW. I remember posting on it as well. We've really enjoyed living here. I work all over, my wife works in Prosper and we are enjoying the new retail popping up that keeps us from having to go into Frisco. The new construction along 380 will improve the traffic situations at Preston and at the Tollway. It seems like every household has kids, so that has been great for ours. Neighbors are very social and we have made great friends since we have been here. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
turfaggie24
AG
Far North Dallas off DNT
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Good to know. My wife and I have been looking at Light Farms for a future move...Once I can find employment up there.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I have helped several clients buy in Light Farms (and have another closing on new construction this week). Every one of them is happy overall. There are lots of activities organized by the HOA for both adults and kids. Schools are great, and it's a very social neighborhood. If you have kids, or plan to, it's a great option. Taxes are a bit higher than in some other areas, but my clients have felt that it's worth it.
planoaggie123
AG
Don't live there but know people that do and they like it. They don't mention the train tracks; however, I grew up less than 400 yards from a train track and honestly got so use to hearing trains go by and blow their horns that when we moved after 16 years, I missed it.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Micah97 said:

We are thinking about buying a house out there. If you live in the neighborhood, curious if you have any issues with the train? Also I heard that there is a mouse problem in the neighborhoods due to the new construction. Any validity?

Thank you in advance.

Did you end up buying in Light Farms? If so who was your house built if you don't mind me asking?
investorAg83
AG
Have some friends getting ready to sell in Light Farms...nice neighborhood.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
investorAg83 said:

We drove through yesterday. There were things that I definitely liked but also things I wasn't fond of.
CrawlingNo5
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

investorAg83 said:

We drove through yesterday. There were things that I definitely liked but also things I wasn't fond of.
What didn't you like? We looked at houses today as my son will be going to school there for ppcd.

I did get the vibe you need a golf cart to fit in
cadetjay02
AG
Things to not like about Light Farms-
Frontier Parkway
Train Tracks
Stupid Mud tax that is twice as much as the Prosper city tax rate
Having to drop several grand on dewshy golf cart to fit in
CrawlingNo5
AG
Love the train tracks. Reminds me of CS and the farm I grew up on

Frontier pkwy- I have just come to the conclusion traffic everywhere sucks in this area

MUD - this will be a huge concern

Golf cart- I'll invite you over jay and we can ride around the neighborhood. This is Thaxton btw
East Dallas Ag
AG
Bump for any new info, thoughts, feelings on Light Farms...?
jstrain05
AG
We moved into Lakes of Prosper in May. So far we are really enjoying the neighborhood. Even with the train the neighborhood is so much quieter than where we were living in Plano and you can still see the stars at night.

One negative is that it seems everyday the train does stop on the tracks blocking the train crossings at Frontier Parkway, Prosper Trail and First Street so you have to go down to 380 if you want to make it over to Preston. But they are supposed to be building a bridge over the tracks at the Frontier Parkway crossing by 2021. Also they have started building the southbound service road on the tollway from Prosper Trail to 380 so it should also help to alleviate some traffic.

One other thing is our water bill has been about 3 times higher than when we were in Plano and we are not in the MUD district so I can't imagine how much those water bills are.

It is a small town with some growing pains but we have enjoyed the four months we have been here and don't regret the move at all.
cadetjay02
AG
I've been in Prosper about 4 years and am usually pretty negative, but I am pretty impressed by all the talent at Kroger. Lots of nice scenery walking the aisles.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I've been in Prosper about 4 years and am usually pretty negative, but I am pretty impressed by all the talent at Kroger. Lots of nice scenery walking the aisles.
best post of the day....
OlRock
AG
A restaurant and bar have opened in Light Farms. Food and beverage were available at the pool beginning last summer.

Appears the land in between future toll road and neighborhood will be developed soon.

Traffic is getting worse. We still enjoy being out here.
East Dallas Ag
AG
We are in the market for Light Farms if anyone hears of anything coming on the market. Prob something in the 2800-3300 sf range will be in our target price point.

Will give you my 2021 Spec's bourbon allocation (was GTS last year), or a gift card to steakhouse/restaurant of your choice if you key me into a house we land!
Rice and Fries
East Dallas Ag said:

We are in the market for Light Farms if anyone hears of anything coming on the market. Prob something in the 2800-3300 sf range will be in our target price point.

Will give you my 2021 Spec's bourbon allocation (was GTS last year), or a gift card to steakhouse/restaurant of your choice if you key me into a house we land!

Are the ones listed to sell in the neighborhood already gone? I saw one yesterday that was only live for 12 hours when listed. My biggest complaint about the light farms listings of late - they are all on small almost 7K lot sizes. But I love the golf cart community and the local little central hang out spot. It's definitely a great neighborhood.
Peter Klaven
AG
As a LF resident, I would recommend joining as many neighborhood Facebook groups as you can. It seems like a lot of houses get sold/listed without ever seeing Zillow and the like. Or make sure you have a realtor who is very dialed in to the neighborhood. For instance, there is a house on Bridgewater Blvd that meets your space requirements and says coming soon that you may look in to.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Yes, most of the lots are small, but I've lived on a 1/3rd acre before and I am tired of doing yard work. I'll use all the common spaces that I'm paying for in the HOA. Houses are going fast with multiple offers, but it's not that we aren't getting a chance to look at them so much as either they are too small/big for our needs/price range, or they're just god-awful ugly. We really aren't trying to be picky given the market but it's tough not to be a little bit when you're paying what those houses are going for these days. We almost moved there in 2018, when you could have anything you wanted for $450k. Try not to think about that!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.