Metroplex
Sponsored by

Robert E Lee Park

6,212 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dave94
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It ought to feel a lot less racist around here soon. Just drove by the park (right next to my office) and they're putting concrete over "Robert E Lee" so that you can't see it any more. Glad we don't have other **** to worry about that's more important.
double aught
AG
The city constantly talks about how broke it is to anyone who will listen. But somehow they find money for things like this.
J.P. 03
AG
Wish they would have poured that concrete into some potholes instead.
ftworthag02
AG
The people that are *****ing about Robert e lee don't know anything about him
bcasey03
AG
Don't worry. There's a billion dollar bond package up to fill the coffers.
agcrock2005
AG
****ing hate politicians...all of them.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
So stupid... Got married there just over two years ago and its a gorgeous place. Too bad they had to take away the name.
The Collective
AG
bcasey03 said:

Don't worry. There's a billion dollar bond package up to fill the coffers.

Going to be one of the biggest slush funds and political favor funds in the history of the city. Hope residents show up to vote it down.
Bunbury
AG
@PrestigeWorldwideAg

How does the name of the park affect how gorgeous it is? Pretty sure everything else is the same.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Bunbury said:

@PrestigeWorldwideAg

How does the name of the park affect how gorgeous it is? Pretty sure everything else is the same.
Never said the removal of the name affected how gorgeous it is. Was just stating it is a shame that they had to take the name down. In other words, its a shame how PC everything has to be.
sherminator
Stop giving away participation trophies to losers.
aggielostinETX
AG
sherminator said:

Stop giving away participation trophies to losers.
https://www.nps.gov/vive/index.htm
Kellso
agcrock2005 said:

It ought to feel a lot less racist around here soon. Just drove by the park (right next to my office) and they're putting concrete over "Robert E Lee" so that you can't see it any more. Glad we don't have other **** to worry about that's more important.
Should not have lost the War.

You all are witnessing the fact that winners write the history books.

We should not be celebrating losers who fought for slavery in public places. Its way too politically correct. It lets the world know that its okay to lose and still be celebrated.
agcrock2005
AG
Hard at work erasing the racism.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
agcrock2005 said:

Hard at work erasing the racism.

They HAVE to spend the money to make everything PC.... but them roads though
tysker
AG
Kellso said:

agcrock2005 said:

Should not have lost the War.

You all are witnessing the fact that winners write the history books.

We should not be celebrating losers who fought for slavery in public places. Its way too politically correct. It lets the world know that its okay to lose and still be celebrated.
Which is exactly why its good to be a rich western white male, because we continue to win and, in turn, get to write everyone's elses history for them. By removing these statues we eliminate any visual memory of our past wrongdoings. So to that I say, "Thanks City Council for sanitizing Texas and US history and helping us white people feel better about ourselves and our mistakes atrocities accomplishments!"
The Collective
AG
Enjoy your infrastructure improvements, Dallas.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Why did we raise statues and name parks after slavery-loving traitor losers? Personally, I'm happy to see the park go back to the way it was before that foolishness.

You do no service to "remembering history" if the version you remember is not true. If you think Robert E Lee deserves recognition for his contributions to society, you fall squarely into that camp. The man swore an oath to the Constitution, then reneged on that oath to keep slavery as an institution. What an *******.
powerbelly
AG
Thomas Ford 91 said:

Why did we raise statues and name parks after slavery-loving traitor losers? Personally, I'm happy to see the park go back to the way it was before that foolishness.

You do no service to "remembering history" if the version you remember is not true. If you think Robert E Lee deserves recognition for his contributions to society, you fall squarely into that camp. The man swore an oath to the Constitution, then reneged on that oath to keep slavery as an institution. What an *******.
Glad to see you have recovered from Trump's victory.
sherminator
Deats said:

Thomas Ford 91 said:

Trumpflake trigger alert.
aggielostinETX
AG
sherminator said:

Deats said:

Thomas Ford 91 said:

Trumpflake trigger alert.

Didn't vote for trump
GMM
Should have just kept it as Lee Park and put this statue up

MGS
or a statue of this

walton91
Or a statue of this

Candiru
AG
Change the 'L' to a 'K', add an 'n' .. Robert E. Keen Park. Presto.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Candiru said:

somebody will get offended
walton91
Candiru said:

Where were you with that idea a couple weeks ago? You gotta get in front of the City Council when you have gold like that!
agcrock2005
AG
walton91 said:

Candiru said:

Where were you with that idea a couple weeks ago? You gotta get in front of the City Council when you have gold like that!
Wouldn't have worked. He's white too. Heard Washington DC is putting a statue up of their former crack-smoking, hooker-banging mayor. Makes sense...
hatchback
AG
What was so bad about the original name of "Oak Lawn Park" that we had to change it in the 1930s?
YouBet
AG
I don't really care since most of these name changes happened well after the civil war as a finger in the eye protest. However, it galls me that city council and Philip Kingston in particular spends so much energy on irrelevant crap like this that is a waste of money and, frankly, no one cares about it.

The vast majority of people in Dallas didn't even know that park was there until everyone got offended.
agcrock2005
AG
YouBet said:

I don't really care since most of these name changes happened well after the civil war as a finger in the eye protest. However, it galls me that city council and Philip Kingston in particular spends so much energy on irrelevant crap like this that is a waste of money and, frankly, no one cares about it.

The vast majority of people in Dallas didn't even know that park was there until everyone got offended.
I had helicopters outside my window and went down to find out WTF was happening and that's when i found out about the park. Drove by all the time and had no idea it was there.
BoomGoesThe
Kingston is an arrogant jack-ass. He touted his endorsements from environmental groups (like the Sierra Club) and then posts pictures of whatever borrowed classic 70's or 80's muscle car his campaign crew was rolling in that weekend. He wants everyone in Dallas to ride bikes to work like in Portland, but doesn't acknowledge that it's about 20 degrees hotter here, not to mention it's impossible to navigate around the huge potholes everywhere. Those are a couple of the superfluous reasons I can't stand the guy.
walton91
Supporting better bike infrastructure in a city with very very little is not the same as wanting "everyone to ride bikes to work like Portland".
YouBet
AG
He's an @sshole. Just got through reading a rant of his on FB about Woodrow Wilson desperately in need of parking and they are wanting to convert a tiny sliver of land into 22 spaces for teachers. Voted and approved on and then backoffice b.s. happens by him and now it's halted because he "drove by the school 3 times last week and parking is not an issue" so the school and parents are lying.

His own supporters are calling him out as misinformed, purveyor of fake news which I realized a while back. Sorry for the derail but I hate this guy. He's everything that is wrong with politics.
aggielostinETX
AG
Huge self important *******
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.