Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best Route from DFW to College Station

13,192 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
jsdaltxag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the best route from Dallas to College Station.

45 - 21- 6??
theGoodAg94
AG
I make this trip pretty frequently- depends highly on where you're going in DFW. Primarily I use 35 -> 6, but I'm coming from South Dallas. If you're going anywhere north of Downtown, I'd recommend using 45 -> OSR ->21 ->6
The Pilot
AG
If you can't fly. Take 45 - 79 - 39 - 21
aggielostinETX
AG
WAZE
Objective Aggie
AG
from downtown 45-OSR-39-190 was my personal favorite while in school.

from many parts of DFW (say Southlake) going through Ft Worth and doing 35W to 6 is fastest. Plus this routing includes kolaches + Aggie Barn!

95% of the time I have done one of those two routes but have done every imaginable combination at some point.
starched_bingo
'Preciate all you guys staying off 14 and keeping my drive clear and easy
drewser95
AG
I started taking this route 3-4 years ago and could kick myself for not doing so sooner. It may not be the quickest, but slowing down in the handful of little towns breaks up the monotony compared to taking I-45 to Buffalo, Madisonville, OSR, etc.
starched_bingo
Exactly my thoughts
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I've driven them all over 35 years of going down from DFW.

By far now 45 to OSR to 39 to 21/190 to 6 is the quickest. And now that there is a decent gas station/convenience store/restaurant at that exit off I-45 it makes it doable with a quick pitstop if needed. There is no slowdown except the stop to turn left at 39 in Normangee but I've never had any wait there. Stop and go.
This way really does not go through any towns with a slowdown (North Zulch is barely a town and it's a yield).
PS - I've done this route in 2:40 with no stopping from 75/NW Hwy area.

45 to 79 (Buffalo) to 39 (Jewett) to 190 is not as fast because it goes through Buffalo/Jewett for 3-4 miles at a crawl.

Never go 45 to 21 (Madisonville) to 6 thats a traffic nightmare through Madisonville. Blech

45 to 14 to 6 is too much time on the smaller highways and slow through all the towns.

If you have to come from FW side then of course 35 to 6 is kind of the standard but.....if you are going to go that way take 35 to the 340 loop to 6 instead.

35 to 22/171 (Hillsboro) to 14 (Mexia) to 6 is better bypassing the heavy truck and construction typical through Waco but doesn't really save time - just frustration. But watch speed traps that way especially Calvert.

Duncan Idaho
Deats said:

WAZE

This is really the right answer
Rudyjax
AG
Honestly, it depends on where in DFW. If you're in FTW, 45 is not the best route.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Unthought Known said:

Honestly, it depends on where in DFW. If you're in FTW, 45 is not the best route.

You'd think that, but you'd be surprised. We live north of Keller on 114 about 5-10 miles from 35w. If we leave after 3 pm on a Friday, the best method by far is to take 114 to downtown Dallas, then the new HOV exit lane down 35E to Waco, then 6 the rest if the way. The 2nd best way is 45.

If your route involves being on 35W north of downtown FW, you need to find another route until the construction ends in a decade or so.
Objective Aggie
AG
Quote:

If your route involves being on 35W north of downtown FW, you need to find another route until the construction ends in a decade or so.

Just pour salt on that wound.
Rudyjax
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Quote:

Just pour salt on that wound.

121 to 35 ain't bad.
DannyDuberstein
AG
People like slowing down for little towns?
Ag CPA
AG
There is no way you are saving time driving over to downtown Dallas from Keller at any time of the week. Try going down Davis to Northeast Mall and then 121 to downtown FW versus fighting 35W.
LHIOB
AG
The Pilot said:

If you can't fly. Take 45 - 79 - 39 - 21

I usedto make the drive from DFW to CS a few times a week and this was the fastest way but about 5mins
mncag
45 to 7 to 39 to 21\190
jsdaltxag
I did 35 to 6 on Saturday. Enjoy the stops at Slovacek in West.
Shooter McGavin
AG
From Argyle, Keller, Southlake, Grapevine etc.

Go through DFW Airport - yes there are tolls, then take 183 east (My bad), to 161 to I-20 then 20 to 35E - this enables you to avoid going through either downtown Dallas or FW. It may be more miles, but there is much less traffic.

edited for dumbassery
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Shooter McGavin said:

Go through DFW Airport - yes there are tolls, then take 183W, to 161 to I-20 then 20 to 35E - this enables you to avoid going through either downtown Dallas or FW. It may be more miles, but there is much less traffic.
183 East....not west.

Shooter McGavin
AG
BernArnold said:

Shooter McGavin said:

Go through DFW Airport - yes there are tolls, then take 183W, to 161 to I-20 then 20 to 35E - this enables you to avoid going through either downtown Dallas or FW. It may be more miles, but there is much less traffic.
183 East....not west.

thanks, I had a brain fart
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Ag CPA said:

There is no way you are saving time driving over to downtown Dallas from Keller at any time of the week. Try going down Davis to Northeast Mall and then 121 to downtown FW versus fighting 35W.

I'm very familiar with the Davis/121/downtown FW route. Definitely the way to go if leaving around noon on a Friday. But, it is a parking lot after 3:00 pm. Going to downtown Dallas easily shaves 30 minutes off the trip.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
This seemed like the right choice, but every time I've tried it there is a bottleneck on 161 before 20, and terrible traffic on 20. Takes at least 45 minutes longer than the Dallas method.

There is no traffic going into downtown Dallas on a Friday. It is a straight shot down 114. The HOV solves the problem with the traffic heading South.

Trust me. It is The Way after 3:00 pm on a Friday.
Rudyjax
AG
No traffic going into Dallas on a Friday??

Quite frankly? Friday afternoon there is no good route.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

There is no traffic going into downtown Dallas on a Friday.

Are you talking Dallas, Texas??

Stemmons is backed up; 30 is backed up; 75 is backed up; the tollway is backed up. 35 north south of downtown is backed up. Exactly what road is there where traffic into downtown doesn't exist on a Friday that isn't Christmas, New Years or the day after Thanksgiving?

Quote:

I've tried it there is a bottleneck on 161 before 20, and terrible traffic on 20.

I don't know of any bottleneck on 161, and I take this often. There IS traffic on 20, but going east, it dissipates somewhat in the Duncanville area, clogs back up around 35, then loosens up after that. This is the way I get to the east side of Dallas on any weekday afternoon.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Deats said:

WAZE

He is right you know.

WAZE suggested routing varies due to changes in traffic, wrecks, road conditions, etc

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
pepe the dog said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Deats said:

WAZE

He is right you know.

WAZE suggested routing varies due to changes in traffic, wrecks, road conditions, etc

It's easier than that - and I hate WAZE.

Simply pull up google maps (web or app) with traffic conditions shown and avoid the Red.....pretty easy to find my own route that way.

And yes, Dallas, on a Friday afternoon most of the traffic is away from downtown, not into. Always exceptions but thats what the live traffic map is for.

Personally I never leave for a game until Saturday - makes it really easy. I can go down and back same day of a game no problem. 11am sucks but we don't have many of those. Any afternoon or early evening time works great. Late games like 8pm suck though. I got home about 12:30 after the Bama game although I left with 4 minutes left.

aggielostinETX
AG
Why do you hate WAZE?

You realize WAZE is owned by Alplabet and just puts AI on top on google maps and crowdsourced info?

You don't like knowing where speed traps are?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Deats said:

Why do you hate WAZE?

You realize WAZE is owned by Alplabet and just puts AI on top on google maps and crowdsourced info?

You don't like knowing where speed traps are?

I've tried it a few times....I hate the interface. It's ugly, busy, cartoonish....I also hate voice navigation crap.

I haven't been stopped by cops in 10+ years....rarely speed traps on highways except certain cities I already know to watch out for.

More importantly I don't want or like any distractions in the car....I look before I head out and 95% of the time thats enough info to avoid bad stuff. If I get stuck I'll pop it open again and reroute on the fly but thats rare.

O'Doyle Rules
AG
www.googlemaps.com
ChoppinDs40
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

There is no traffic going into downtown Dallas on a Friday.

Are you talking Dallas, Texas??

Stemmons is backed up; 30 is backed up; 75 is backed up; the tollway is backed up. 35 north south of downtown is backed up. Exactly what road is there where traffic into downtown doesn't exist on a Friday that isn't Christmas, New Years or the day after Thanksgiving?

Quote:

I've tried it there is a bottleneck on 161 before 20, and terrible traffic on 20.

I don't know of any bottleneck on 161, and I take this often. There IS traffic on 20, but going east, it dissipates somewhat in the Duncanville area, clogs back up around 35, then loosens up after that. This is the way I get to the east side of Dallas on any weekday afternoon.
All roads through downtown are awful on Fridays. We leave from Plano and it takes a solid 1:15 to get through downtown towards the I20 exchange. Especially sucks now with the construction for the MLK flyover south of downtown.

When we're not picking someone up in uptown, we actually take Bush all the way out to 30, 30 to 635, then 635 to I20 and then I20 to 45.

More miles but way less traffic.

The real question is... who takes 14, 79, OSR to 6, OSR to 39/21, or 21 the whole way in?

Those in the midcities, 35 to 6 is obvious the only choice.
TexasAggie008
AG
Yep, done your option A for 7 years

By far the best
Gomer95
AG
If they could build a toll road parkway or something going diagonally straight from Fort Worth to College Station I guarantee it would make a 3 hour trip into a 2 hour or less trip. They could merge it into Highway 6 at CS for people to go to Houston. Sure it would cost millions of dollars to construct but at least I could make easy day trips for ball games LOL. Such a pipe dream but hey this is Texags where dreams are the name of the game.
ChoppinDs40
AG
bullet train to groesbeck and then buses onto the motherland
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.