Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas County Car Insurance Rate Increase

5,065 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by culdeus
JoeyB11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody else been informed that their car insurance rates are being increased in Dallas?
I've had State Farm since I was 16 (now 28) and it may be time to look around.
Who do yall use for car insurance, are they reasonable? I love State Farm, but I don't want to pay $200/month for car insurance when I only have 1 car.
The Pilot
AG
Gieco

500ish/6 months for 2 cars and one with full coverage.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Mine is $240/mo. I use SafeCo through my broker. I'm a 29 year old female with one accident in my life and 1 ticket from Jan 2010. Kind of upset with my insurance provider who had linked my ex husbands driving record to mine the last few years. He had several tickets and an accident.

I think it's time to check out USAA again.
powerbelly
AG
1. Get an agent to shop around for you

2. Rates are going up throughout Texas. I have heard various reasons for this, but it is not just one carrier.
aggielostinETX
AG
you are getting screwed if what you posted is true
bac
AG
Don't stick with any insurance company for long. Gotta switch around for a better deal, even if it's a PITA.

That being said, I've been with Farmer's for 4 years and over the past year, my rates have gone up 40%. Agent says, "we are all paying the price for hail claims."
JBLHAG03
AG
I use site sponsor Liere (broker), and my rate went up 16% from when I bought a new car in June and renewed in Sept. Was pretty irritated but they said rates went up across the board, and I was still with cheapest carrier when they ran my quote.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Deats said:

you are getting screwed if what you posted is true

I think so too. I've had this conversation for the third year now with my broker about my ex's record being attached to mine. I call to shop rates, they come back so high, I ask why, they tell me about accidents and tickets, and I keep saying those are his. They look it up, confirm, say they'll fix it, and it happens again.

Beyond tired of it.
NTXAggie14
AG
I have USAA - pay $130 a month for an car and SUV with full coverage for myself and wife. We are both 25 and have luckily not had any wrecks or speeding tickets.
YouBet
AG
Ours went up as well. About $400 per year increase.
hijakeroo123
AG
At my recent renewal, my auto with State Farm went up by approximately $80. Auto rates are going up across the board due to increased accident rates (largely caused by distracted driving) along with higher repair costs (due to more specialized vehicle components, particularly safety components). Personally, I'm okay with a relatively minimal increase compared to what others are reporting.
RolloInsurance_Diego
Personal and commercial car insurance is seeing rate increases across the board due to a lot of different factors. It helps to be an independent agent in the DFW area who can shop a lot of companies to see who is offering the best coverage for the best price for you. If you would like any information please give me a call at 972 875-8780 or feel free to email me at Diego.Garcia@rolloinsurance.com and we can see if we can help you out.

Diego Garcia Class of '02
Rollo Insurance
JoeyB11
AG
Princess, I'd reach out to Diego at Rollo insurance and see what he can do for you.
I just got off the phone with him
The Collective
AG
I blame hail. Apparently the risk of a hail storm happening in DFW isn't figured into the premiums, because premiums go up every year due to hail.
TSUAggie
Mine actually went down for the first time since in 10 years.
PrincessButtercup
AG
JoeyB11 said:

Princess, I'd reach out to Diego at Rollo insurance and see what he can do for you.
I just got off the phone with him

I'll do that, thanks.
culdeus
AG
Why can auto upcharge for hail claims but home can't? Or is it that people that have hail claims don't get their rates directly raised, but instead this gets passed on to everyone else?
hijakeroo123
AG
culdeus said:

Why can auto upcharge for hail claims but home can't? Or is it that people that have hail claims don't get their rates directly raised, but instead this gets passed on to everyone else?
This is exactly it; hail damage losses across DFW have increased exponentially in recent years so the insurers must factor in a higher risk of loss throughout the region, even if you have personally have not been affected.
DadAG10
CJS4715 said:

I blame hail. Apparently the risk of a hail storm happening in DFW isn't figured into the premiums, because premiums go up every year due to hail.
More cars, more expensive vehicles, increased costs of repairs, more houses, more severe hail, greater chance that property is damaged than 20 years ago when fewer lived in Frisco, Wylie, Murphy, Rockwall, etc...
RolloInsurance_Diego
There are a lot of factors that everyone is mentioning that does go in to it and that's why we like to review with customers to see if we need to shop around on their behalf with several companies. If I can help anyone review what they have and discuss options feel free to email me at Diego.Garcia@rolloinsurance.com or call our office at 972-875-8780.
The Pilot
AG
Mine hasn't gone up in 5 years.
94DallasAG
AG
USAA (thanks for your service Dad)

<$100/month full coverage with high limits.
FTAco07
AG
I don't remember what I paid last year, but I just got a renewal from my current carrier (Travelers) for $2,782 for next year. One phone call to Liere and my new carrier is at $1,916. I don't think I have had the same carrier two years in a row since I've lived in Dallas.
Bottlerocket
AG
I hate hate hate insurance companies. The rate creep is insane. We have no auto claims, no tickets, no accidents, one roof claim from a legitimate hail storm and the rate creep continues. They are a necessary evil
RolloInsurance_Diego said:

There are a lot of factors that everyone is mentioning that does go in to it and that's why we like to review with customers to see if we need to shop around on their behalf with several companies. If I can help anyone review what they have and discuss options feel free to email me at Diego.Garcia@rolloinsurance.com or call our office at 972-875-8780.
I just sent you an email.
waitwhat?
It's all the crappy drivers moving here from other states and the general population increase causing such congestion/potential for accidents.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
TriAg2010
AG
waitwhat? said:

It's all the crappy drivers moving here from other states and the general population increase causing such congestion/potential for accidents.

It also doesn't help that the part of your car most likely to get crunched now has more sensors than a 1980s-era cruise missile.
BrianDemarais
AG
Insurance Broker here....Rates are increasing for a number of reasons, but it really boils down to one thing. Insurance carriers have not been profitable. This is due to all the hail leading to comprehensive claims and because essentially every actuary has been wrong in predicting driving behavior. Because of all the assisted driving technology (backup cameras, rear view cameras, safer vehicles, etc.) actuaries were predicting driving accidents to go down. That ended up not being the case at all. They are financial institutions that want to make money. They weren't, in fact they were bleeding hard. The result is increased rates. The average home claim in Texas last year was $11,000 and the average auto claim was $4,000. Anyways, just trying to help make sense of why everyone's rates are going up. If anyone would like a review of their home and/or auto insurance, I'd love a chance to help out.

Brian Demarais
214-691-7655
Brian@smithallen.com
www.smithallen.com
helgs
AG
BrianDemarais said:

Insurance Broker here....Rates are increasing for a number of reasons, but it really boils down to one thing. Insurance carriers have not been profitable. This is due to all the hail leading to comprehensive claims and because essentially every actuary has been wrong in predicting driving behavior. Because of all the assisted driving technology (backup cameras, rear view cameras, safer vehicles, etc.) actuaries were predicting driving accidents to go down. That ended up not being the case at all. They are financial institutions that want to make money. They weren't, in fact they were bleeding hard. The result is increased rates. The average home claim in Texas last year was $11,000 and the average auto claim was $4,000. Anyways, just trying to help make sense of why everyone's rates are going up. If anyone would like a review of their home and/or auto insurance, I'd love a chance to help out.

Brian Demarais
214-691-7655
Brian@smithallen.com
www.smithallen.com
Yeah, only GEICO and Progressive seem to know how to make money. Everyone else is losing MILLIONS or more. State Farm lost $7 billion last year in auto underwriting.

Is it a coincidence that those are the two companies that advertise the most?

hatchback
AG
BrianDemarais said:

... and because essentially every actuary has been wrong in predicting driving behavior. Because of all the assisted driving technology (backup cameras, rear view cameras, safer vehicles, etc.) actuaries were predicting driving accidents to go down. That ended up not being the case at all.

But it was good enough information for congress to mandate back up cameras for every new vehicle. Thus increasing standard technology and increasing repair costs for the consumer.

Are cameras convenient? Yes. Are they a necessity? No.
500,000ags
AG
I just signed up with Progressive last month from State Farm. I paid $660 for six months which includes signing up for the snapshot that tracks my driving for three months. State Farm was charging over $140 per month with no accidents and three tickets over the last 12 years of driving.
culdeus
AG
How the hell did State Farm lose that much money? They are insane expensive compared to every other option.
culdeus
AG
Explain to me the below from their statement. Is the 7B buried in the 35.8? What losses would they have if not underwriting?

Auto The State Farm auto insurance business represented 63 percent of the P-C companies' combined net written premium. Earned premium was $38.8 billion, an increase of 6.9 percent from 2015. Incurred claims and loss adjustment expenses were $35.8 billion. The underwriting loss was $7.0 billion.

Read more at https://newsroom.statefarm.com/state-farm-2016-financial-results/#QBzHbWxpGhypsp84.99

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.