Metroplex
Sponsored by

I'm disappointed in Dallas

6,340 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FincAg
Rice and Fries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not one single pizzeria in Dallas proper sells pizza rolls or will make pizza rolls. Sals offered to experiment but they were too busy to start.

I just find that hard to believe.

A pizza roll is a simple concept. Literally take excess pizza dough, roll it out, put some cheese and pepperoni in it and boom. You have a delicious pizza like breadstick (AKA Pizza roll )
Spaceship
AG
Sounds like you stumbled on a great opportunity for an artisanal/organic (overpriced) pizza roll shop.
permabull
AG
lawless89
Yeah there used to be three or four Double Daves up here. I went to the one in Arlington probably a year ago or so and they've all closed shop since. What gives??
Rice and Fries
lawless89 said:

Yeah there used to be three or four Double Daves up here. I went to the one in Arlington probably a year ago or so and they've all closed shop since. What gives??

Someone really must have pissed off Jerry or the Pizza gods. Or both.
Carlo4
AG
Back in 2005 there were 20 DDs in DFW.
gig em 02
Why didn't you just buy a pizza and roll it up yourself?
Rice and Fries
gig em 02 said:

Why didn't you just buy a pizza and roll it up yourself?

I attempted to. And it's not the same.
Trajan88
AG
Not in Dallas though ... rolls @ Ferrari's in Plano. Awesome.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/yNoiQLuabPv2npnQRWw9uA?select=yk8Lfvm0n2qQ7Cwuxp5cAQ&utm_source=ishare&utm_content=photo&utm_campaign=psb_sq
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Not that it helps, but there's a Double Dave's in Denton. When i saw it, had to turn around and grab some pizza rolls. Very disappointing.
752bro4
AG
lawless89 said:

Weird that a pizza restaurant that wasn't very good shut down in a town full of great pizza options.
double aught
AG
This thread had so many potential topics based on the subject line.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Stone Deck in Deep Ellum have what they call pinwheels. While not true DD style pizza rolls they are like sliced pieces of pizza roll
SbisaVictim95
AG
752bro4 said:

lawless89 said:

Weird that a pizza restaurant that wasn't very good shut down in a town full of great pizza options.
I think people not familiar with them see that they have a buffet and immediately associate it with CiCi's and then refuse to pay the difference.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Doesn't Old Chicago have some kind of pepperoni roll?

never had it but I've seen them on the menu I believe.
FincAg
AG
They are more like soft pizza dough, garlic butter, and pepperoni rolled like a cinnamon roll. Pretty weak.
knoxtom
Not available here is Colorado so we make them ourselves.

Some tips...

Safeway/Tom Thumb sells premade pizza dough.
Use provalone, not mozzarella. Mozzarella melts too much, has too much grease, and burns.
Butter the dough lightly once you have rolled them up

The kids absolutely love these things so we make them every few weeks.
Gigem_94
AG
Ya there used to be double daves but they would never last long in one spot. I guess corporate would take the franchise fee and then do little to support them. Never saw any ads or marketing. Rather sad.
Rice and Fries
I bought dough from Pie Tap yesterday and tried to make some with Provalone and Pepperoni, but the dough was too sticky and just made life ten times worse. Even with flour, it didn't help any. Stuck to the roller, the cutting board, the cookie sheet.
drewser95
AG
Someone posted this sometime back (former DD employee). Still haven't tried it yet though:

Quote:

i used to work at a DD back in school. I had a hankering for rolls last weekend and the one by me closed long ago.

I went to a local pizza joint and asked for large dough ball, which they sold me for 3 bucks. Came home rolled it out. Put half slice of provolone cheese and 6 pepperonis on the outside of the rolled out dough in 8 equal spaces. use a pizza cutter to cut out the 8 sections. Smash the middle so the dough sticks to the counter. Take the fat end of one of your sections where the cheese and pepperoni is then roll like a croissant pulling back slightly each time so its not too fat. Let them rest for 5-10 mins, then squeeze the air out of each one. Preheat oven to 400-450. Put some foil on a backing sheet with some nonstick, then put the rolls in the oven for about 10 mins. They should be brown on the top. Get some ranch and enjoy. You never have a need for DD again.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Brooklyn's has pizza rolls, although they are just dough and pepperoni, not cheese. Not bad though when dipping them in marinara or ranch. Very poor man's version, but I take what I can get.
ghollow
AG
Big Joe's Pizza and Pasta has them. There are several of them in the mid-town area
Chughes88
AG
Used to work at Hungry Howies in CS. We made our own peperroni rolls and coated them in the crust seasoning. Miss those things every damn day.
permabull
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

they've all closed shop since. What gives??

Pizza rolls have been about the only thing edible at DDs for a while.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pizza industry is a low margin, bich of an industry to make money in. As far as regular pizza is concerned, DD is pricey without a commensurate bump in quality. And given it is such a small chain, I'd imagine it also doesn't benefit from much purchasing leverage to keep costs down .
Old School Brother
txaggiefarmer05 said:

Not that it helps, but there's a Double Dave's in Denton. When i saw it, had to turn around and grab some pizza rolls. Very disappointing.
If you're talking about the one that was on Teasley, it's not there anymore. It's now some other pizza place.
Zjones920
Old School Brother said:

txaggiefarmer05 said:

If you're talking about the one that was on Teasley, it's not there anymore. It's now some other pizza place.
There is one on 380 east of Carroll a couple of blocks
AG
Buffalo exchange on greenville. Go to the used shoe section. Dip them in ranch (Kraft or Sams choice) and enjoy that same great taste that puts a smile on your face

They may even make you an offer on those rose colored glasses while you're in there
FincAg
AG
Easy there Roberto

dave94
AG
Zjones920 said:

Old School Brother said:

txaggiefarmer05 said:

There is one on 380 east of Carroll a couple of blocks

Yeah, where 380 is actually University Drive. Full buffet, not bad.
Old School Brother
good to know, thanks
nai06
AG
752bro4 said:

lawless89 said:

DFW doesnt have great pizza options. There are a few good shops but most pizza around here sucks.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
I've struggled with this as well. Pie tap pizza dough was my idea snowman
Rice and Fries
El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

I've struggled with this as well. Pie tap pizza dough was my idea snowman
You're a dirty liar.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.