Metroplex
Sponsored by

Good bourbon...

3,015 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Robert C. Christian
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know where you can get some of the good bourbons that have traditionally been easy to find but are increasingly rare today?

Found a Blantons bottle couple weeks ago but had to ask because it wasn't on the shelf Would like to find some ETL, rock hill farms and another Blantons.
ftworthag02
AG
very difficult to find blantons, weller antique, weller 12, ETL, stagg, ECBP. Specs said they will get more wellers closer to Christmas. Just keep checking in w/ your local specs, total wine, kings(Fort Worth), goofy goody, etc.
BeardofZeus01
AG
You'll rarely see any of that on the shelf anymore at the big shops. Walk in, ask, get laughed at, rinse, repeat. You'll need to establish a relationship (ie. buy product consistently) with someone at a shop that will hold bottles back and give you a call when they come in. And if you don't want to play the game, find a couple of readily available offerings that you prefer. There's plenty of excellent options that don't require groveling at the bourbon teat to acquire. Third option is to try the secondary market and overpay a bit for what your trying to find.
agcrock2005
AG
It's a pain in the ass to like good bourbon! Thanks for the advice.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

find a couple of readily available offerings that you prefer. There's plenty of excellent options that don't require groveling at the bourbon teat to acquire.
Yep. I don't really care to play the game so I just select something good off the shelf.
TXAG9
AG
Crows on white settlement has 2 bottles of blantons left.
Whos Juan
AG
Total Wine in Dallas is usually pretty good about updating their Facebook page whenever a rare bourbon comes in. Now, you won't get a blast about Pappy, but they'll update it whenever they get Blanton's in or anything on that level. That's how I get ahold of it.
Goody
AG
Spec's usually has Noah's Mill and I think its about as good as anything out there. Priced about $45.

If you look at that bourbon tree graphic, its up there.

Rowan's Creek is from same family and about $12 less..really good.
thisguy05
AG
Bought a bottle of Blanton's at Liquor Depot in Balch Springs last night. They got 6 in yesterday morning.

Agree with above comment. Won't find em at name brand stores cause they hold em back for their "best customers" or offer to add you to "the list".
Signel
AG
The big box stores get all the allocations, but they tend to keep all semi-rare in the back now. Anything from any of the Buffalo Trace mashbills has become hard to find. You can get some of the overpriced craft stuff but I still like the $25 Eagle Rare or the like, and it pains me to pay more.

Specs, Goody Goody, Total Wine and even Fossil Creek will have at least one of the more rare bottles in back. I find that Pogo's in Dallas has a good bottle or two in the back, but the prices are going to be much higher usually.
Matsui
AG
How do you get them to sell you some of the stuff in the back?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Matsui said:

How do you get them to sell you some of the stuff in the back?
Really two ways. 1. Ask 2. Spend lots of cash at 1 store, and get in good with people working at the store.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.