Metroplex
Sponsored by

Moving to Carrollton

1,377 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gig em 02
20ags08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought a house in Carrollton. We'll be moving in middle of September. Wanted to see if anyone had any advice on internet/cable, electricity, etc. This is our first home, and the process has been hell! Trying to stay on top of the little things so once everything is signed the transition is easy. Thanks for any help and advice.
Strategy
AG
If you are a cord cutter I'd go with Time Warner Cable.

Buy your own router.
LHIOB
AG
We had directv as UVerse wasnt available in our neighborhood. What part of Carrollton?
Pepper Brooks
AG
What part? Availability varies.

Stay away from Frontier. We have TWC for both cable and internet and it's the best bang for the buck(without cutting the cord) that we've found.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Use energyogre for utilities.
powerbelly
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Or just take 5 minutes at powertochose and save the money.
PrincessButtercup
AG
powerbelly51 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

Or just take 5 minutes at powertochose and save the money.
I've saved so much by using EnergyOgre. No need to be angsty. I used powertochoose, and maybe my math skills ain't all that great, but using EO to consistently monitor and update my plan to get me the best prices has resulted in huge savings over the last few years. It's entirely worth the $10.
The Pilot
AG
Everyone thinks they can do better than Energy orge until they give it a try.
GarlandAg2012
AG
My bill averages $40-50/month. Really think they can save an additional $10+ off that?
The Pilot
AG
Hard to say with certainty, especially if you are already that low. Along with the savings, I like not having to worry about switching providers every 3-4 months and locking into longer plans likely doesn't equate to savings.
powerbelly
AG
The Pilot said:

I have looked at their math and I wouldn't save enough to justify giving them $10 a month.

It isn't rocket science.
PrincessButtercup
AG
The Pilot said:

Hard to say with certainty, especially if you are already that low. Along with the savings, I like not having to worry about switching providers every 3-4 months and locking into longer plans likely doesn't equate to savings.

Yep. So worth it. Maybe some people have extra time to do the constant price comparison they do since they are always changing my plan around to get the best deal but for me it is not worth it. They are the best.
zidnaut
GarlandAg2012 said:

My bill averages $40-50/month. Really think they can save an additional $10+ off that?
Maybe not. But I'll note that it depends on the "average rate you paid" (in c/kWh), not your total bill. If you use 643 kWh/month at 7 c/kWh, then you shouldn't expect any more savings. But if you use 300 kWh/month at 15 c/kWh --- as many Texans sadly do --- then you can definitely chop your bill in half with _any_ decent shopping service (EO or otherwise).
zidnaut
Electricity shopping isn't rocket science, but it can be tedious and PowerToChoose is notoriously misleading to the uninitiated. See the guide and tool here for help: http://www.texaspowerguide.com/texas-electricity-shopping/

If you know your monthly usages from past bills, the rest is easy. But since the OP is just moving in and wouldn't yet have a monthly usage history, they might opt to start with a shorter 3- or 6-month plan until they get some baseline data.
Bird Poo
AG
The Pilot said:

This
20ags08
AG
Thanks for all of the replies. I apologize I haven't been back to check and respond. We started up football and two-a-days and it's been early mornings and late nights for a while.

We're off frankford, between old Denton and 35. The previous owner actually left us some previous energy bills so i can see their average kw usage. They had frontier and also left some bills. I was thinking about AT&T internet and giving direct tv now a try.

Thanks again for all the help! Much appreciated.
gig em 02
Check out youtubetv as well if it's available
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.