Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best commute to uptown

3,486 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hatchback
Gigemaggies123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

Got a job in uptown and relocating to the Dallas area. Married with a kid and two dogs so renting a nice condo in uptown is not an option. We are buying our house

Which of these options would you recommend:

Living east in garland, rowlett, or rockwall and taking 30
Living north in plano, allen, or richardson and taking 75
Living north in frisco, addison and taking the dallas toll
Living super north like mckinney and driving/taking dart
or Living west in carrollton, lewisville, flower mound or grapevine and taking 35

thanks
permabull
AG
Gigemaggies123
20 minutes!!?? that would be fantastic, all of these other options ive been told are around an hour.

Whats the cost of a monthly pass?
ItsA&InotA&M
The train doesn't go to Uptown. Close but still involves a hike to get to Uptown. If you are renting, get something in Addison close to the Dallas Toll road, it would be less than a 30 minute ride. Frisco would be an hour.
Gigemaggies123
ItsA&InotA&M said:

The train doesn't go to Uptown. Close but still involves a hike to get to Uptown. If you are renting, get something in Addison close to the Dallas Toll road, it would be less than a 30 minute ride. Frisco would be an hour.
We are buying, I've updated the OP.

Thanks
The Pilot
AG
No matter how you slice it, it's going to a rough commute. I'd probably go with the tollway or 75 commutes just to live up north and then try and offset my working hours so I'm not driving during normal rush hour times.
Street_Cred_Norm
DISD sucks so you don't want to live there. I would look in Lake Highlands. Good neighborhoods , ok school district and multiple ways to get to uptown .
AG
Seeing the daily 5PM horde of people not moving on northbound 160, dnt, or 75 makes me cringe. Addison would at least be close enough to take back roads the entire way, but I was unaware there were actual houses with backyards for sale there.

Older areas of Garland wouldn't be too bad of a commute either and would allow back roads as an alternative to 30. I don't know about the crime though. It looks a little rough over there.
akaggie05
AG
Look into far north Dallas (city of Dallas but Richardson schools). Easy access to both 75 and the tollway but not so far north if you're commuting to uptown. You can also avoid all of that and take Hillcrest or Preston. Also easy access to 635 and GB for east/west trips.
plarmigan
AG
akaggie05 said:

Look into far north Dallas (city of Dallas but Richardson schools). Easy access to both 75 and the tollway but not so far north if you're commuting to uptown. You can also avoid all of that and take Hillcrest or Preston. Also easy access to 635 and GB for east/west trips.
This. We live Hillcrest/Campbell with great RISD schools(Brentfield Elem, Parkhill Jr High, Pearce HS) and my wife commutes downtown 30-45 min most days (Hillcrest to 635 to Tollway).
Gigemaggies123
thanks for the suggestions aka and plarmigan,

I looked in that area and doesnt look like theres anything in my price range. However, to the east near buckingham there looks like quite a few. Is it the same or much poorer quality
Jimmy McNulty
AG
plarmigan said:

akaggie05 said:

This. We live Hillcrest/Campbell with great RISD schools(Brentfield Elem, Parkhill Jr High, Pearce HS) and my wife commutes downtown 30-45 min most days (Hillcrest to 635 to Tollway).

But does she still ***** about it? Mine does and I'm just off Renner.
plarmigan
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

plarmigan said:

akaggie05 said:

But does she still ***** about it? Mine does and I'm just off Renner.
Ha, no not usually unless there's a wreck. Tollway seems to be much better than 75 according to her, especially when you get to avoid that whole section between 635 & PGBT. Just moving a few miles north would probably change things considerably.
plarmigan
AG
Gigemaggies123 said:

thanks for the suggestions aka and plarmigan,

I looked in that area and doesnt look like theres anything in my price range. However, to the east near buckingham there looks like quite a few. Is it the same or much poorer quality
Sorry man, I'm not real familiar with that area or what schools they feed into. There are a few realtors on this board (East Dallas Ag actually found us our house) that could help you out. Good luck!

dmweaver-realtor
AG
Have you considered Lakewood? Lake Highlands? I've got so many clients (young families) looking in both neighborhoods. Great schools, terrific commute, and access to White Rock Lake. If you want to give me a call I'd be happy to give you the scoop on those neighborhoods/schools. If you need a realtor, I'd be happy to help.

Dawn Weaver '91
Dave Perry Miller Real Estate
214-775-0611
Inspector Javert
Gonna have to agree that lake highlands is a better option than most of those if you're working in downtown. The schools are better or comparable to all of those you mentioned and depending on where you live you could probably just take skillman or Greenville down if traffic is bad on 75
riverrataggie
AG
Whatever you do just be careful on how others will perceive you living both in and outside the loop.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Gigemaggies123 said:

Howdy Ags,

Got a job in uptown and relocating to the Dallas area. Married with a kid and two dogs so renting a nice condo in uptown is not an option. We are buying our house

Which of these options would you recommend:

Living east in garland, rowlett, or rockwall and taking 30
Living north in plano, allen, or richardson and taking 75
Living north in frisco, addison and taking the dallas toll
Living super north like mckinney and driving/taking dart
or Living west in carrollton, lewisville, flower mound or grapevine and taking 35

thanks

ummmm.none of the above.

what's wrong with dallas? plenty of good places in east dallas - lakewood, lake highlands, casa linda, forest hills, etc.

or north dallas proper - preston, marsh, midway inside the loop.

AgLaw
AG
What's your house budget?
Shooter McGavin
AG
If you have kids, your primary question should be about schools, then your commute.
Gigemaggies123
I have a son and he's almost 14 months right now. So we're not sure if we'll move before he attends elementary.

Our current house was build in 2002 and is around 2200 sqft and we really didn't want a house that was built in the 60s and smaller, although we're starting to reconsider our position.

Our budget is 350k at the most but like to be around 320-330

thanks
riverrataggie
AG
An option is townhouse in university park. Haven't seen that proposed. Especially if you don't know where you will be in 5-6 years.

Granted it might be 2 bed at 1500. But for sure get value out of it and may make a nice rental one day.
murphyag
AG
I would avoid the Frisco or Mckinney idea. Too far/too much traffic. Maybe try looking at 75082 zip code and neighborhoods that feed into Miller Elementary, Murphy Middle, McMillen High.

Also, 75094- town of Murphy. Plano ISD or Wylie ISD schools
75048- town of Sachse- be sure to look for neighborhoods zoned to Wylie ISD versus Garland ISD for schools and resale value in the future.
75002- Allen- East of 75. Some nice neighborhoods in your price range.
75023- central area of Plano. West Plano (75093 and 75024) will be too $$$
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

All of these inside the loop are in your price range and make your drive very manageable.

The Marsh and Lake Highlands areas have the most in that range.

YouBet
AG
Gigemaggies123 said:

I have a son and he's almost 14 months right now. So we're not sure if we'll move before he attends elementary.

Our current house was build in 2002 and is around 2200 sqft and we really didn't want a house that was built in the 60s and smaller, although we're starting to reconsider our position.

Our budget is 350k at the most but like to be around 320-330

thanks
gigem,
Do you see the red dot that covers the "Y" in the Hollywood Heights neighborhood in the lower middle of the picture that Zombie posted? That is a fantastic neighborhood that is highly social and involved. My wife and I lived in that neighborhood until a couple of years ago. Everyone knows one another and they do several big neighborhood wide parties every year. It's very unique in that regard and it's a blast to live down there. You have the Santa Fe trail and a huge park (Lindsley) in your neighborhood that feeds directly in White Rock and Deep Ellum. You can walk to everything at Abrams and Gaston which is the heart of Lakewood dining and shopping.

Your commute to Uptown from there will be about 15-20 minutes and you are about 10-15 from downtown. I think I lost sight of the fact that you were commuting to Uptown or I would have mentioned this already. The only reason we moved out is because our commute to/from there to work became increasingly long over the years with all of the people moving to East Dallas. We work further out than Uptown. And we wanted a pool.

Highly recommend looking at it. Not sure how you feel about house types but the vast majority of the homes were built from 1927-1935 or so and are Tudors. Most of them have been redone and are pretty immaculate but depending on what's on the market you tend to find some that need a lot of work.

Schools: it feeds into Lakewood elementary and middle schools which are the best schools in Dallas outside of HP and private schools. Woodrow Wilson High School is DISD but is largely considered the best public HS in DISD because of the heavy involvement by East Dallas parents. If my kids had to go to a public HS in DISD this is where I would want them to go.

Note: personal pet peeve...the neighborhood is actually called Hollywood Santa Monica which is never reflected anywhere publicly for some reason.
Pepper Brooks
AG
We bought our house(2,300 sqft, 4/2, built in 2004) in north Carrollton last year for around $320k. My wife works downtown and it takes her about 30-40 minutes at around 8-9a and 5:30-6:30p.

We have a dedicated elementary school for our neighborhood and pretty much every amenity we need within a 5 mile radius. It's a great option if you want to get out of the corridor (section of the city between 75/tollway) and is very family friendly. We feed into Hebron High school.

That said, be ready to be called a lolpoor from the Plano and Southlake folks.
Shaggie 05
AG
I live in Richardson, 75 and Beltline, and my commute to Uptown in the morning (7:45) is typically 20-25 minutes. Going home can vary a little more, but usually 25-30 minutes.
Demasiado
AG
Live in north oak cliff and go north 10 minutes. Elementary is rosemont. You'll love it, downtown and bishop arts 5 minutes away
hatchback
AG
Demasiado said:

Live in north oak cliff and go north 10 minutes. Elementary is rosemont. You'll love it, downtown and bishop arts 5 minutes away

Rosemont is an incredible school and community in Dallas. I second this idea.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.