Metroplex
Sponsored by

Bob's Steak and Chop House

2,738 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieC07
oldvalleyrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They just put one of these restaurants in Edinburg here in the valley. We ate there last night and it was really nice. The waiter said that this was part of a chain from Dallas. Any observations from anyone that has eaten at the one in Dallas?
powerbelly
AG
The chains all are inferior to the original on Lemon in my experience. Although I haven't been back since Bob had to sell.
fourth deck
AG
Went once to the location on Lemon and it was fantastic. Would rate it better than Pappas Bros.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Bobs on Lemmon was the first high end meal I ever had as a young professional. It was so good and always an awesome experience. It's nice but stil old school and approachable enough to take your parents or non foodies.
JohnM88
I've been to most of the steak places in Dallas over the years and Bob's is still my favorite.
Duncan Idaho
It's all about the carrot
The Collective
AG
All that I know is that Bob is "dark on Sundays".
realestateguru
AG
I have been to Bob's over 100 times to several of them and will go back again. Maybe it is age but the noise level is always extreme. As far as which one is better? Depends on who is grilling that night!
Trident 88
AG
realestateguru said:

I have been to Bob's over 100 times to several of them and will go back again. Maybe it is age but the noise level is always extreme. As far as which one is better? Depends on who is grilling that night!

I went to the Bob's at The Shops at Legacy many years ago and haven't been back since due to the noise level. It was ridiculous.
Yesterday
AG
Went to the one on Grapevine and thought it was meh. Wasn't worth the price in my opinion. Guess I need to try the one on Lemon. Nick & Sam's, Del Frisco's and even a couple of lower end steak houses were better.
DallasAggie89
AG
Grapevine location has always been sub-standard.
agnatgas
AG
Had a bad experience there and will not go back.
realestateguru
AG
You never go back to a place once you had a bad experience?
Pepper Brooks
AG
The one at the Shops at Legacy location has always been "ok". Not bad, not the best I've ever had.

Nick & Sams and Del Friscos(Dallas) are about tied in my mind for best steak in Dallas.
double aught
AG
CJS4715 said:

All that I know is that Bob is "dark on Sundays".
That statement in the Ticket ad has always seemed odd and a bit pretentious to me. This isn't a broadway show. Get over yourself, Bob!
aggielostinETX
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

The one at the Shops at Legacy location has always been "ok". Not bad, not the best I've ever had.

Nick & Sams and Del Friscos(Dallas) are about tied in my mind for best steak in Dallas.
Haven't been to Del's since they moved but nothing has beaten Pappa's yet.
AggieC07
AG
I used to be a huge fan of Bob's (one off of Lemmon), went back recently and wasn't that good.

I'll chalk it up as an off night, this time...
powerbelly
AG
AggieC07 said:

I used to be a huge fan of Bob's (one off of Lemmon), went back recently and wasn't that good.

I'll chalk it up as an off night, this time...
Bob no longer runs the place. It isn't as good.
AggieC07
AG
Good to know, makes sense.

Sad day though....
DallasAggie0
He got caught scamming people out of their money so it's not that sad
Absolute
AG
Wife and I went once, honestly don't remember which one in Dallas area. We gave it a meh. Haven't been back and have alway chosen something else when stay in the fw omni. Not bad, but not the best around Dallas.
AggieC07
AG
Yikes, well good riddance.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He supposedly took a $300,000 investment from someone under the guise that it would be used to add a cigar lounge to the Lemmon location. But then it turned out he was just having money problems and had basically just swindled the guy. Never had any intent of expanding the location.

This was 7-8 years ago. He sold out and bailed about that time, along with pleading guilty to fraud.
AggieC07
AG
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I felt like I went there maybe 4-5 years ago and it was still pretty good. I guess maybe there is a lag in the quality (with turnover and such) and maybe now it's seeing the repercussions.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the non-Lemmon locations always had different owners, as he just franchised out the brand. Looking at an old article, he went bankrupt and got indicted for the $300,000 swindle in 2009, at which point he sold the Lemmon location to some long-time customer. He'd already sold half of the brand before that point (to Omni Hotels), and I'm guessing any interest he had left in the brand was sold somewhere in that bankruptcy timeframe, if it wasn't gone already. He had himself a gambling problem.

He still managed the Lemmon location until 2011 even though he didn't own it, which was around the time he plead guilty to the fraud charge. Then he left altogether about the time he plead guilty.
YouBet
AG
Ate at the Lemmon location on Tuesday night. The carrot is overrated so I don't get the love for that but steak was excellent.
ILikeTacos
AG
Bob's is a big pile of Meh IMO. I like consistency in my restaurants and no place is as consistent as Pappas.
AggieC07
AG
I agree with Papas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.