Metroplex
Sponsored by

Refinance car loan suggestions

1,283 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GMM
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GF is refinancing a very high % interest (close to 10%) with about $6000 left on her car loan. Credit score is at or near 700 from my understanding.

Looking for any recommendations in any banks/credit unions/individual to go meet.... currently with Citibank. Richardson/Plano/Allen/Frisco area preferred.

Also, is it not even worth it at this point?

Been looking to pay off debt and lower monthly payments to save more money. Already adjusted a few things like car insurance and cell phone plan, and this is another...

Thanks in advance!
The Pilot
AG
Maybe look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I used them when I purchased a car out of college, the rate was 1.4 I believe.
riverrataggie
AG
Just pay it off. If you can't. Take the savings you highlighted and put it directly into this or the highest interest you have.
The Collective
AG
$6k loan is pretty damn small... try credit union though.
drewser95
AG
The Pilot said:

Maybe look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I used them when I purchased a car out of college, the rate was 1.4 I believe.
Highly recommended -- financed 3 cars with them since 2005.

Assuming it's 2015 or older, rates are 2.49% for 36 mos. (max loan term for that small of an amount). Payments should be ~$175/mo at that rate -- may not seem to save that much per month, but it adds up over those 3 years. Not sure what credit score is needed for that rate.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/refinance

Just have to pay a one-time membership fee if she doesn't have a military connection.
Carlo4
AG
drewser95 said:

The Pilot said:

Highly recommended -- financed 3 cars with them since 2005.

Assuming it's 2015 or older, rates are 2.49% for 36 mos. (max loan term for that small of an amount). Payments should be ~$175/mo at that rate -- may not seem to save that much per month, but it adds up over those 3 years. Not sure what credit score is needed for that rate.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/refinance

Just have to pay a one-time membership fee if she doesn't have a military connection.
Thank you all...

Drewser95 is a wizard.

She literally lowered her payments to about $185/mo for 36 months using the Credit Union I use (CU of TX). Rate went from double digits to close to 3%. She's going to take the extra $200 a month and put it towards paying off remaining school debts.

Definitely going to look at Pentagon when I'm ready for the next vehicle as a comparison.
agcrock2005
AG
Edit: Sorry. Didn't see you had your solution already. I finance my vehicles through the manufacturer for the cash-back options then refi at credit union (last two have been EECU) after 3 months at much lower rate.
Carlo4
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Edit: Sorry. Didn't see you had your solution already. I finance my vehicles through the manufacturer for the cash-back options then refi at credit union (last two have been EECU) after 3 months at much lower rate.
Happened to be on the board today and saw the reply. Thanks for posting. When she's ready for a new car, I might bring that up as an idea too...
dcAg
I like it when a dilemma gets solved. Good work Ags!
GMM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.