Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best Mexican food in Ft. Worth

7,571 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JR Ewingford
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be in Ft. Worth for one night. Looking for good Tex-mex or Fajitas, but not a dive. We are staying at the Stockyards but don't mind a short Uber. TIA
aggie_wes
AG
Joe T's is not the best, but you asked for tex-mex and "not a dive" so it's probably your answer.
aglaohfour
AG
Americado is pretty great. We also tried Meso Maya for the first time recently and we were impressed. Benito's is sort of "divey" I guess, but the food is great. Or Paco's on Magnolia. Or Esperanza's. And Mi Cocina, despite being a chain, is always reliably good.

There. I listed 6 places off the top of my head that are infinitely better than Joe T's. You're welcome.
wbt5845
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Will be in Ft. Worth for one night. Looking for good Tex-mex or Fajitas, but not a dive. TIA
Most of the best places (i.e., place I go) ARE dives, though.

NO to Joe T's.

Mariposa's is probably the kind of place you're looking for. It's off Camp Bowie just south of I-30. Japaenos cheese tamales are awesome.

La Playa Maya is more traditional TexMex a little further west on Camp Bowie. Their brisket flautas are insane.
Tailgate88
AG
Esperanza's is close and my bartender just recommended it as well. Thanks Ags! TexAgs never disappoints.
Corps_Ag12
AG
There's a la playa Maya in the stockyards
Nagler
AG
El Paseo.
PatAg
AG
Enchiladas Ole
Tailgate88
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

There's a la playa Maya in the stockyards

Esperanza was closed so we ended up at La Playa Maya. Everything was great, very happy. Ubering to Sundance Square for gelato now. Thanks all!
Corps_Ag12
AG
Glad to hear it
'03ag
PatAg said:

Enchiladas Ole
This place is so good if you're looking for enchiladas, obviously. Great text mex enchiladas, plus some more distinct offerings. Curry chicken enchiladas with mole sauce are ragonk.
chick79
AG
Revolver Tacos
OldArmyAggie94
AG
I like Joe T Garcia's..give it a try
t - cam
AG
OldArmyAggie94 said:

Buford Tannen
AG
Here to post my customary testimonial for the Original on camp Bowie. Maybe I'm just nostalgic but the Roosevelt plate side of rice and beans might very well be your new favorite.
ww
AG
OldArmyAggie94 said:

I like it as well, don't love it, but like it. Cool atmosphere, good drinks, chips & salsa suffice, enchilada meal is good, as are the beef fajitas. The only things I don't like are the chicken fajitas, it's a little pricey for what you get, and they don't take credit card.
culdeus
AG
albatross said:

Here to post my customary testimonial for the Original on camp Bowie. Maybe I'm just nostalgic but the Roosevelt plate side of rice and beans might very well be your new favorite.

So greasy.
Buford Tannen
AG
So then you know how good it is...while you're eating it. Three hours later you are reaping what you have sewn.
'03ag
williamwolf114 said:

OldArmyAggie94 said:

I like it as well, don't love it, but like it. Cool atmosphere, good drinks, chips & salsa suffice, enchilada meal is good, as are the beef fajitas. The only things I don't like are the chicken fajitas, it's a little pricey for what you get, and they don't take credit card.
No love for the tacos that come with the enchilada dinner? Those things are like crack. Sometimes I'll just order like 6 of those and eat off my wife's fajita plate.

I also don't think it's all that pricey for what you get, especially the mexican dinner. It's what, $13? Two enchiladas, two tacos, two "nachos" and crapload of rice and beans. That's not far off what any other place would charge for that much food.

Easily $12 across the street at Los Vaqueros. Which is also good btw.
boogieman
AG
Chicken Fajitas over Beef at Joe Ts.
ww
AG
'03ag said:

williamwolf114 said:

OldArmyAggie94 said:

No love for the tacos that come with the enchilada dinner? Those things are like crack. Sometimes I'll just order like 6 of those and eat off my wife's fajita plate.

I also don't think it's all that pricey for what you get, especially the mexican dinner. It's what, $13? Two enchiladas, two tacos, two "nachos" and crapload of rice and beans. That's not far off what any other place would charge for that much food.

Easily $12 across the street at Los Vaqueros. Which is also good btw.
Agreed, those tacos are good (bundled in the "enchilada meal" which I like), as are the "nachos" strangely enough.

I think the drink prices are what get me, not that they are THAT pricey, but we usually get a lot, so the total sneaks up on you.
ww
AG
boogieman said:

Chicken Fajitas over Beef at Joe Ts.
I might have to try them again. When I had them, the chicken was all breast meat, as opposed to thighs, so it was dry to me (pretty normal with breast).
Corps_Ag12
AG
That's why I just buy them by the pitcher
ToddyHill
AG
I just don't understand all the hate for Joe T's.

I've never had a bad experience there...and it's definitely a Ft. Worth icon.
t - cam
AG
ToddyHill said:

I just don't understand all the hate for Joe T's.

I've never had a bad experience there...and it's definitely a Ft. Worth icon.

It's a fun experience but I think the food falls short of average. I still like going though i just can't see how it would rank on someone's best Mexican food list.
Chughes88
AG
The Original over off of Camp Bowie is pretty solid.
thisguy05
AG
And their brisket nachos are the heat
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Uncle Julio's over off Camp Bowie and I-30.

Nicer atmosphere than most - definitely not a dive.

ftworthag02
AG
Born & raised Fort Worth. Our favorites in no particular order:

- uncle julios, chain, quality Tex mex, never had a bad meal there, excellent service, excellent fajitas & margaritas, Sometimes wait can reach 45mins- 1hr but they do call ahead seating.
- Benito's- more traditional Mexican, one of the magnolia originals, 2 mins from where I grew up, love the chicken mole & suiza enchiladas. Very nice owner!
- Esperanza's- (main st or park place) same family as joe t's, can get the joe t's Enchilada dinner & fajitas and margaritas, I like the Monterey enchiladas which aren't on the menu, I also like the carnitas or barbacoa plate. FYI the main st location closes at 7pm
- el rancho grande- on main st north side, I like the beef enchiladas, carne guisada, and chicken & guac chalupas, my parents first date place in '67 (the old small, building next door), the owners are sisters and amazing people
- Juanitos taqueria- Hemphill- traditional taqueria, lengua, chicaron, carnitas, tripa
- pacos- magnolia- formerly paco & johns, not traditional Mexican.
- mi cocina- chain restaurant but has great brisket tacos and one word "mambo taxi" margarita!!!
PorkEatingCrusader

Yes, Rancho Grande (mentioned above} and The Original are the best IMO
gomerschlep
AG
Joe T's is where you take out of towers.

Uncle Julios for unadventurous eaters and yuppies.

The Original is strong, to quite strong.

Esperanzas will serve you full bar at 0700, even on Sundays (illegal I think)

If you're staying in the stockyards and want legit Tex-Mex, head north on Main to some of of the little shops around NE 28th St.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Los Vaqueros is great. Stockyards location.
rgarza35
AG
Mexican Inn, no frills, great food.
aggie_wes
AG
Sorry, Mexican inn is not good.
Buford Tannen
AG
Agree. Mexican Inn is nothing special.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.