Metroplex
Sponsored by

Why do people hate southlake?

24,388 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MGS
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've lived in DFW my entire life ( grapevine and now Keller) and it seems like whenever southlake is mentioned or brought up, people make a face like they just smelled a fart. Is it just the people who live in southlake or the "keeping up with the Jones" atmosphere in the city?
aezmvp
grapespda2525 said:

I've lived in DFW my entire life ( grapevine and now Keller) and it seems like whenever southlake is mentioned or brought up, people make a face like they just smelled a fart. Is it just the people who live in southlake or the "keeping up with the Jones" atmosphere in the city?
The over the top atmosphere has a lot to do with it. I kind of like the town, but the people are harder to stomach than Highland Park to a large degree. Yes it's a stereotype but I've spent significant time in both spots and I find it to be the case. Love the town square however.
752bro4
AG
The Pilot
AG
I live in Dallas proper and don't care for any suburb, they all suck.
Ag CPA
AG
realestateguru
AG
Its great to have opinions
AG
walton91
Quote:

I live in Dallas proper and don't care for any suburb, they all suck.
plarmigan
AG
They hate us cause they ain't us...

-Carroll HS class of '99 here
J.P. 03
AG
Buford Tannen
AG
Same principle why people hate the Yankees, the Cowboys, etc.
aggielostinETX
AG
grapespda2525 said:

Ask anyone living in Southlake where they grew up. Come back and report the results.
Grapesoda2525
What do you mean?

Are you saying it's a town primarily of rich transplants?
aggielostinETX
AG
Transplants.

Didn't say anything about rich.
AG
Deats said:

Didn't say anything about rich.

It's home of the turquoise encrusted jorts
Objective Aggie
AG
Lived in and around Dallas for some time. I've never hated Southlake. Their town square is nice. Heck, just Lolo's alone makes it a good town.

I know a lot of people from there. For awhile, it started to have that pretentious arrogant feel. But that is kind of rare now. While the high school has success, it feels like it has slipped some.

There are richer areas for sure (Westlake nearby for instance) and other more successful HS programs.

All in all, it's a nice suburb by suburban standards. Not a ton of character outside of shopping and restaurants.
SnowboardAg
AG
I hate their red light cameras.
Hincemm
AG
plarmigan said:

does the name lacroix ring a bell? these are my in laws and a few of them graduated around that year.

Quote:

I hate their red light cameras.
lived here two years now and never got one...nrh has the worst imo.

when it comes to culture, i think it sure has a heck of a lot compared to other suburbs. and i think people extolling the culture of dallas is pretty funny
aggielostinETX
AG
Daughter starts with an L? Lives overseas now?

ETA: actually looks like she lives in SC now
Post removed:
by user
plarmigan
AG
Hincemm said:

plarmigan said:

does the name lacroix ring a bell? these are my in laws and a few of them graduated around that year.

Yes, I graduated with Lauren & my little sister graduated with Jacque. My family has known the Lacroix family for as long as I can remember.
Hincemm
AG
deats, plarmigan,

yes to both...my brother is married to jacque...the lacroix's convinced us to move to southlake....
chick79
AG
I've never been to Southlake but my guess is it's a lot like West Plano. Nothing but Highland Park wannabes.
aggielostinETX
AG
Knew Lauren at TAMU.

Lost contact since.
I Rule
AG
chick79 said:

I've never been to Southlake but my guess is it's a lot like West Plano. Nothing but Highland Park wannabes.
Paging Aglaw
AG
80sGeorge
AG
Just moved last fall after 20+ years in Dallas and so far so good. Not rich. HP wannabe? Damn straight- would love to have those schools for the kids and be able to afford a house there and be close to friends and things familiar. We felt like it was the best move for the kids and our pocketbook though. I hate the drive but I'm the only one subjected to the madness so that's fine. Looked at Lovejoy but felt it's even further. Really preferred the smaller feel vs Plano and Frisco. Looking fwd to my first dragon game. Wish there were fewer chain restaurants and more local type stuff but we are finding those things and still commuting to Dallas and FW when needed. It's a great spot. Highly recommend. I like to make fun of the fountains, seriously what's up with the fountains? Also the traffic circle art. But hey, art..amiright?
Inspector Javert
People already hated highland park so it makes sense to go ahead and hate the people trying to be hp

also frisco consider yourself warned
catfan
robertf03 said:

chick79 said:

I've never been to West Plano but my guess is it's a lot like Highland Park. Nothing but Straight Lane wannabes.

Strait Lane but not that it matters. :-)
aggielostinETX
AG
catfan said:

robertf03 said:

chick79 said:

I've never been to West Plano but my guess is it's a lot like Highland Park. Nothing but Straight Lane wannabes.

Strait Lane but not that it matters. :-)
And houses in HP challenge those prices....
AG
AggieFrog
AG
Not a bad town. Lived in Keller for 10 years and enjoyed the town square every now and again. McMansion kind of town and a bit pretentious. Growing up in Irving, I recall it being a big white flight town - lots of folks left in the early 90s for Southlake.

I don't get over there much anymore and personally much prefer being just west of Fort Worth and away from the traffic of Southlake and the mid cities. It's nice being able to get downtown in 20 minutes just about any time of day and being close to work at Lockheed. We could afford a Southlake house for less than we pay in private school tuition alone, but were never big on trying to keep up with the Jones on that side of town.
Gil Renard
AG
Damn there's a lot of Dallas Chris Chris up in here
Phat32
AG
Same reasons people hate HP.

IF $town WITH $money > $average THEN insert $hate
Gil Renard
AG
Monthly Classic Dewsh Dallas Proper vs Suburb Metroplex Cookie Cutter TexAgs pissing match

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.