Metroplex
Sponsored by

Need Advice for Bad Apartment Conditions

1,290 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by drewser95
castrop08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need legal advice for a friend on breaking a lease.

She's currently living in an apartment complex in Euless. In a year, she has had to change her apartment unit due to rats and other pests that took the complex over two weeks to send in pest control.(found 5 holes in the unit). In her new apartment unit, her ceiling has leaked twice, a clogged pipe caused her kitchen to overflow with water and flooded her apartment. Her back gate has also been completely disconnected from her fence for over 24 hours more than once. Do any of these warrant being able to break her lease without any penalties? Or do you have an recommendations on how she could do it with the least fees.

TIA!
khaos288
AG
breaking a lease is always tough, but she can definitely require that every little thing be fixed. Then, after about 20 pesterings, she can ask for a mutual release and both parties walk.
TresPuertas
AG
What is the price point on her unit?
aggielostinETX
AG
Document Document Document

Then take it to JP court eventually.

Good luck.
castrop08
AG
TresPuertas said:

What is the price point on her unit?
She pays $1,000 a month
dcAg
Read her lease.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
as long as the landlord is fixing these issue she will have a hard time getting out of it.
Ags06Win
AG
Document every problem... continue to call landlord.

As stated above, if they are fixing within "reasonable amount of time"... breaking the lease will not be a good idea.

If they are not fixing, ask for mutual split. If not, be prepared to go to court.

Judgements in Texas basically mean nothing though most of the time... they cannot collect on much!
Bocephus
AG
There is a Texas Renters Association or something of the like that should be able to advise her of her rights. I broke a lease once where I was attempting to move into an apartment on a Saturday and the AC was not working in August. The maintenance would not answer nor return my phone calls. I got an apartment in a different complex. When management called me on Monday, I pointed out to them that per the lease they are required to provide me with "liveable" apartment and an apartment that was over 90 degrees for 3 days was not that. Did not have a single problem after that.
TXAGFAN
AG
Make sure she is following the required protocol for notifying of issues. If lease says in writing, make sure it is and not just phone calls or some other nonsense.
drewser95
AG
Good resource:
Landlords and Tenants Guide - Texas A&M University
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.