Metroplex
Sponsored by

Looking for Housing advice in Duncanville/Lancaster area

1,812 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Athendor
Athendor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi my fiance (Class of 15) and myself (Class of 16) will be moving to the above mentioned area of Dallas soon. We are looking for advice because she is a Houston native and I am from Georgia (the state) so we have no idea what we are moving into. We need somewhere pretty cheap as our budgets are not overflowing and we have two German Shepherds so animal advice is a plus as well. She is working at UNT-D as an advisor and I will be in Duncanville high school as a College Access advisor.

Any advice at all is welcome we are really looking forward to the move in mid-late August!
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
FC12
Good luck. Wrong side of Dallas though in my opinion. I hope you visited the area(s) before signing on the dotted line.
BBcoach00
AG
I wouldn't want to stay in Duncanville/Lancaster area. You might want to try Arlington around the Highlands mall area or Midlothian, if you are looking for something a little quieter.
_lefraud_
AG
There's still some decent areas in Duncanville and even Desoto but depending on your budget, might be out of range. Look at Cedar Hill, Midlothian, Waxahachie.

My inlaws live near the Costco, and while it's not where I would raise a family, I've never once felt unsafe there.
Athendor
AG
With 1 car and looking to rent (probably only here for 1-2 years) cant live too far away
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward."

Goldie Wilson
My advice: don't live in Duncanville.

Source: I was raised in Duncanville.
OregonAggie
AG
Midlothian is nice and not far away. There's also some decent areas in Grand Prairie near the lake.

No way in hell would I live in Duncanville, Desoto, or Lancaster. I'm from Duncanville like Dan 07 and we obviously feel the same way about that town. Used to be nice but it's going downhill quick...
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Go to a Concealed Handgun Class and keep a low profile.

If your fiance will be at UT-D, suggest Richardson, North Dallas or North Garland.

Area around J J Pierce HS would be good.

aezmvp
pepe the dog said:

Go to a Concealed Handgun Class and keep a low profile.

If your fiance will be at UT-D, suggest Richardson, North Dallas or North Garland.

Area around J J Pierce HS would be good.

Think it was UNT Dallas which has at least one campus downtown maybe another?
Hachieaggie10
AG
Come on everyone. I just sold my house in Desoto. It's nothing like anyone is making out. Yes I was the only white guy on the street but I knew all of my neighbors and had 0 issues. I now live at mountain creek and I-20 which is a Dallas address but blocks from being either Grand Prairie or Duncanville. I am happier in this area but thats mostly due to proximity to the lake and size of my lot. Went from a 0 lot line to a 1/4 acre. I would say this is a good area and most of the houses have larger lots. 20 minutes to downtown Dallas, 30 minutes to my parents in Waxahachie, 20 minutes to Arlington Highlands. I'd be happy to help anyway I could. Don't let these people scare you!
Goldie Wilson
Slight difference between a 1/4 acre house and a budget-friendly apartment
theGoodAg94
AG
Dan 07 said:

My advice: don't live in Duncanville.

Source: I was raised in Duncanville.
Second. Graduated Duncanville in '13 and parents still live there...I don't look forward to going home other than visiting them.
Hachieaggie10
AG
Except many homes in my neighborhood are rentals that rent at an affordable price. That's the intent with mine is converting to a rental in the next year. Just slowly doing some reno projects around the house first.
Athendor
AG
Hachieaggie10 said:

Except many homes in my neighborhood are rentals that rent at an affordable price. That's the intent with mine is converting to a rental in the next year. Just slowly doing some reno projects around the house first.
What neighborhood?

DannyDuberstein
AG
Try Cedar Hill or Midlothian.
aggielostinETX
AG
Waxahachie
Midlothian
Red Oak

Neither "D" town.
Hachieaggie10
AG
zip code is 75249. supply right now is a bit low which is one of the reasons I bought it. Heres a 3-2 thats renting at 1650. 1800 square feet and its a subdivision over from mine.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7501-Ashcrest-Ln_Dallas_TX_75249_M86677-40566#photo11

Before buying the house in Desoto I lived in a neighborhood just north of the one im in now and the one that I just mentioned. I'm not a realtor and I dont own the house I just pasted. I really don't think its anywhere near what the others make it out to be. Is it college station? No. But that doesn't mean its Chicago.
wbt5845
AG
Deats said:

Waxahachie
Midlothian
Red Oak

Neither "D" town.
Good advice here. If you need to live on that side of town, that's the way to go.
drewser95
AG
Quote:

Think it was UNT Dallas which has at least one campus downtown maybe another?
There is another just inside the northeastern quadrant of I-20 & I-35E (on Camp Wisdom), which would make OP's location desires make more sense.

OP, I don't really deal much with rentals in that area, but could get you set up on an email alert when anything meeting your criteria comes up.

dburroughs@dallascitycenter.com

Operating on a bit of a delay while in Omaha through Wednesday, but should be able to check email/text/VM at least once an hour. Happy to help however I can.
Athendor
AG
I really appreciate all the help. We are in such a hard place financially right now and the advice will hopefully put us into a spot to be secure soon.

redass1876
AG
Are you looking at buying or renting or an apartment?

I live in Cedar Hill and like it. I would avoid desoto or duncanville or even Grand Prairie really

Cedar Hill, Ovilla, Glen Heights, Red Oak, Midlothian or Venus would be my suggestions depending on the size of town you like

Cedar hill is the biggest city of those and closest to dallas but still cheap
Athendor
AG
Rent most likely depending on her feelings on her job we may not stay in the area longer than a year or two.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.