Metroplex
Sponsored by

Interviewing for a job near 35W and 170, Advice about the area

1,866 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Old School Brother
buckyisking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teenage kids to tag along for the move. Wife and I intend to do some looking around, but where? Academics, basketball, and baseball are the priorities for the kids. In that order.
powerbelly
AG
I know there is a Cabelas there. I wont be any help otherwise.
AgBQ-00
AG
Keller and Argyle are probably the best school districts close to there. Northwest ISD is pretty good from what I hear. Of course Southlake and Grapevine are not far from there either. Don't think you can go wrong
buckyisking
AG
Keller ISD has 6 high schools? Wow. I have always been a small town guy. This will be a big adjustment. Are all the high schools relatively equal?
ww
AG
buckyisking said:

Teenage kids to tag along for the move. Wife and I intend to do some looking around, but where? Academics, basketball, and baseball are the priorities for the kids. In that order.
We moved to the area about a year and a half ago, we decided to live in Roanoke. If your job is around 170/35W, then you have some pretty good options close by:

-Southlake (Best school system and desirable city, but higher home prices and a little further away)
-Grapevine (Also a great school system, mostly older homes and a little further away)
-Roanoke (Northwest ISD may have the slight edge over Keller, and multiple options for subdivisions or in town)
-Trophy Club (Part of NWISD, higher priced homes)
-Argyle (A little further drive and more open space / smaller town...for now)
-Keller (ISD is great, but I feel the town has grown too quickly for it's infrastructure, but options galore for everything)
-Fort Worth (really depends on what you want, getting further north FW may not be the best)
-Justin (similar to Argyle, smaller)
-Haslet (probably would stay away, but would be super close and I don't know too much about it)

Probably going to depend on your price point and how far you want to drive, but you will have a ton of good options, nonetheless.
buckyisking
AG
I am liking the looks of Argyle.
Maverick06
AG
I'm in Justin. We like the schools so far but our kids are in elementary so no idea for older kids. We looked at Argyle but were priced out for what we wanted (>1 acre). Can't go wrong with any of the places listed. Just depends on what you're looking for. We wanted space in a small town. Justin was it (for now).
ntxaggie
I live in Argyle. Happy to answer any questions.

My kids don't go to Argyle schools anymore, but I can probably still provide good answers about the district. Coincidentally, our route to school each day is 35W to 170 or 377 to 170, and while the commute time gets a couple of minutes longer each year, it is still very reasonable.
dcAg
Southlake FTW.
ww
AG
Forgot to mention "Westlake, The Town of" if money isn't an issue at all.
TowerAg90
AG
Roanoke....the "Unique Dining Capital of Texas" The Oak Street area in old Roanoke is a great strip of restaurants, bars and shops. And it's about to double in size. Can't go wrong in the Two Sixty Two
TowerAg90
AG
ww
AG
TowerAg90 said:

Roanoke....the "Unique Dining Capital of Texas" The Oak Street area in old Roanoke is a great strip of restaurants, bars and shops. And it's about to double in size. Can't go wrong in the Two Sixty Two
Correct. We live in a subdivision outside the city limits, but have frequented the downtown area. There are some pretty neat places that are going to open soon. We're like 5 miles from 170/35W.
Pro Ag
AG
If you might change jobs within the Metroplex it may make sense to look somewhere more central.

I get not wanting your neighbor and arms length away, you can find that in older neighborhoods in Grapevine, Flower Mound, Coppell, etc.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Currently looking for home in some of the same areas myself and just wanted to add that if you're looking at Argyle, you may could consider Flower Mound/Lantana as well. The recent widening of 1171 all the way out to 35W would make that a reasonable commute down to the 35W/170 area. Not sure where you're coming from but be warned, the housing market here is INSANE right now.
buckyisking
AG
Housing costs are definitely an adjustment. My current $230,000 house would be a smooth $400,000.
phoenix491
AG
I live in far north Keller, in the Roanoke zip code (Keller ISD, although every kid but ours on our block goes to Westlake Academy via the lottery system. Incredible school.) ... Hard to beat the schools and quality/pace of life here. One downside: home prices are skyrocketing. Also, as someone mentioned, if you ever change jobs, getting across town can be a stretch. (Although, I work in Irving, which is a straight shot down 114 and the commute isn't bad at all.)

Old School Brother
Another "town" in the area is Northlake, where my family just moved. It's between Argyle and Justin. There are a couple of neighborhoods with all 1 acre or greater lots, which is what we wanted. It's in Northwest ISD. The town is growing quickly because of a couple of higher density developments which are being built or are in the very near future. We love the area. Our kid is only 1, so don't know anything more about schools yet, but have heard good things about Northwest.
Old School Brother
Also, be aware when searching for houses in Argyle that there are some neighborhoods in Argyle that do not go to Argyle schools. There is even one neighborhood (Country Lakes) that part of the neighborhood goes to Argyle and the rest go to Denton ISD. You can usually tell the difference in prices, but just be aware of it if schools are a big deciding factor for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.