Metroplex
Sponsored by

Tollway Construction Planning

2,388 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by starched_bingo
TexasAggie008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will it surpass the DFW to SA I-35 project as the most inept , poorly planned , behind schedule highway construction project in Texas' history ?

- 2+ years of painstaking renovations of a **seven!** mile stretch of highway beteeen bush and legacy with no end in sight ? Check

_ massive lane closures starting at 8pm each night between Bush and royal for god knows how long, that creates friday 5pm traffic from 8-11pm? Check

-lowering of speed limit to 55 due to inept , turtle pace construction progress south of 635? Even when actual construction crews aren't out? Check

-be this inept despite being a toll road that many of us pay a solid $1000 a year to drive on? Oh yeah

History is being made before our eyes
gig em 02
That 55 mph speed limit makes no sense, the entire toll road should be 80 to 85 with minimums enforced for the amount I pay per month
Ol Jock 99
AG
It took them 7 years to expand 35 through my old home town of Salado. It was a disaster. Something like 70% of the small businesses closed over that time frame. Damn near killed the town.

So no, while the tollway project is a royal mess, it hasn't matched 35 in my book.
TexasAggie008
AG
Even if tollway is only 80% as bad, it's a TOLLWAY thus our $ being there for the project should make it substantially faster and better
DannyDuberstein
AG
In general, tollway projects do seem to run much faster given the motivation to push as many cars (and therefore $$$) through that part of the road as soon as they can. This one is nasty, but the problem I see is that the tollway is quite elevated through that entire stretch. Not necessarily all bridge, but there is a least large earth buildup. So I can see why it's messier and taking some time.
Post removed:
by user
Ol Jock 99
AG
The fact that they built the Bush/DNT interchange the way they did should tell you all you need to know about the professionalism involved.

"We have tons of room and plenty of money, so let's have the traffic all merge into a single lane just for fun!"
TexasAggie008
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Just wait until they really start Bush to 635 stretch. That is a much worse area to expand given the road there.
What is the formal start and end date for that part? (so that I can add approx two years to it)
MattAg06
AG
Wife went into labor at 10:30 on Sunday night. It was really nice to jump on the tollway, head up to Presby Plano only to find two wrecks and work convoys closing down two lanes. As we finally made it past the convoys, all I saw was some dumbass road workers just standing there. Really glad my money is being wasted in spectacular fashion.

Baby arrived just fine, thank God.
bert harbinson
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The fact that they built the Bush/DNT interchange the way they did should tell you all you need to know about the professionalism involved.

"We have tons of room and plenty of money, so let's have the traffic all merge into a single lane just for fun!"

High five just as much a mess. Poor design seems to be the hallmark of these massive projects.
DallasAggie0
Ol Jock 99 said:

Are you talking about the southbound DNT route that merges a ton of onramp traffic right into a ton of offramp traffic?
Ol Jock 99
AG
The only merge that isn't awful (at least as of the last time I went on it) was north DNT to east Bush. East or west Bush to north DNT is awful, as is the south DNT to Bush you mentioned.

Basically, whole thing is a fail.
Stive
AG
Actually, if I remember correctly, the high five went fairly smooth. I believe at that time that was the busiest interchange in the metroplex and to complete a project of that size/scale in 5 years with that kind of traffic, and without cutting off Plano and Richardson from the rest of the known world, was pretty impressive. It was essentially finished on time as well.

webgem08
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

TexasAggie008 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Just wait until they really start Bush to 635 stretch. That is a much worse area to expand given the road there.
What is the formal start and end date for that part? (so that I can add approx two years to it)

Once they finish Legacy to bush. Completion early 2018.
Plus, I believe they aren't actually expanding the roadway surface south of Bush, only restriping and shrinking lane width to squeeze in an extra lane. It doesn't go to 635 either...stops in Addison.
drewser95
AG
Stive said:

Actually, if I remember correctly, the high five went fairly smooth. I believe at that time that was the busiest interchange in the metroplex and to complete a project of that size/scale in 5 years with that kind of traffic, and without cutting off Plano and Richardson from the rest of the known world, was pretty impressive. It was essentially finished on time as well.
The construction project went fairly smoothly. But I think he was referring to the design (only one lane from NB 75 to WB 635), which seems to consistently be backed up. In fact, Waze recommends I take Coit to 635 instead nearly every time, regardless of time of day.
Stive
AG
Ahh fair enough.
The Collective
AG
That is stressful. Congrats on the sex though.
duck79
AG
Anyone know why they didn't build an exit for 121 from the 35 express lanes?
MattAg06
AG
Thanks. Little dude showed up about an hour after we got there...all the visitors that have come in from out of town are like 'man that Tollway sucks!!'
Absolute
AG
It is totally fubar.

I also like how they merged the new extra pgbt left lane right beside the exit for the dnt. So people get backed up on both the left and right sides of the road, all looking to swerve to the
Middle to speed on.

Idiotic because the road is already wide enough for them to have moved it farther along.

All the while they still use the old manned tollbooth chargingbplan rather than using the existing technology to charge for the mileage you actually use.
JBLHAG03
AG
It all goes to the lowest bidder.
MGS
webgem08 said:

Plus, I believe they aren't actually expanding the roadway surface south of Bush, only restriping and shrinking lane width to squeeze in an extra lane. It doesn't go to 635 either...stops in Addison.

So they hired American Airlines to design the expansion?
starched_bingo
Dum dum pshhhh
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.