Metroplex
Sponsored by

Plano Breakfast Tacos?

6,910 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PuryearAg98
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still have not been able to find a a good breakfast taco place in the Plano area. Granted, I grew up in a small town that had the best breakfast tacos so my bar was set high. If you say Rusty's/Fuzzy's/Torchy's you are totally in the wrong ball park.
Post removed:
by user
AG
There was some place near 14th and G or K that Plano folk beat it to. Can't remember the name, but they were slammed in the mornings. I thought the tortillas were too thick, other than that it's the same eggs and cheese that all breakfast tacos have

These days the ones in the bin by the cash register at Green Spot are good enough for me
aggolfer
AG
You are probably thinking of Aparicios/Plano Tortilla Factory.
PlanoAg98
AG
This is the Hippo Burrito that I grew up with. The best tortillas filled with egg, chrorizo, bacon, refied beans, potato, and cheese. Their hot sauce was pretty damn good as well.

The thing is there are two other spots in this town that serve equally as good breakfast burritos. A town of less than 30K and I can't find one in a town 10X as populated.
cadetjay02
AG
What's wrong with Rusty's? On a side note, have you been to Chito's on 75?
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

What's wrong with Rusty's? On a side note, have you been to Chito's on 75?

Rusty's breakfast tacos are decent. It's like saying "What's wrong with Rudy's BBQ?" to someone who grew up in Lockhart.
PlanoAg98
AG
Does Chito's serve breakfast tacos?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Where did you grow up? I also grew up in a town that has excellent breakfast tacos (Georgetown) and have struggled finding something decent in a town 5x it's size (McKinney).
double aught
AG
Tacos y Mas. Closest might be in Richardson.
AG
aggolfer said:

You are probably thinking of Aparicios/Plano Tortilla Factory.

That's it.

Diggs on Gaston is in the weekend breakfast taco rotation. Velvet taco was the best, but the quality seems to have gone down since expanding to Houston. I hope they don't go the route of torchys. Their stuff was a lot better before they expanded to a location every few miles.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Where did you grow up? I also grew up in a town that has excellent breakfast tacos (Georgetown) and have struggled finding something decent in a town 5x it's size (McKinney).

Lake Jackson (south of Houston)
drewser95
AG
robertf03 said:

Diggs on Gaston is in the weekend breakfast taco rotation. Velvet taco was the best, but the quality seems to have gone down since expanding to Houston. I hope they don't go the route of torchys. Their stuff was a lot better before they expanded to a location every few miles.
I tried the Gaston Digg's a couple of weekends ago for breakfast, and I guess I'm just not used to their style. Basically just an omelette placed on a tortilla and then everything is folded over. Also, do they not have any kind of salsa option?

Speaking of Velvet Taco, I did see where they are taking over the former Pollo Tropical (Beck's Prime before that) on Greenville, across from Ozona.
gig em 02
What's wrong with torchys breakfast tacos, they can make them to look like that picture?
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

What's wrong with torchys breakfast tacos, they can make them to look like that picture?
The taste, the tortilla
AG
drewser95 said:

Speaking of Velvet Taco, I did see where they are taking over the former Pollo Tropical (Beck's Prime before that) on Greenville, across from Ozona.

Interesting. Do you know if it'll be tacos or another ida Claire or whiskey whatever type place?
drewser95
AG
Sounds like it will just be an additional Velvet Taco:
Velvet Taco is opening another Dallas location! Here's the intel.

This is nowhere near Plano, but my favorite breakfast burrito in East Dallas has been this place for about 10 years. Their tortillas and homemade hot sauce are outstanding:
La Victoria (yelp page)
I get the egg, cheese, sausage and potato, but they also offer chorizo.
AG
Was going to consider it for the next bike ride, But it looks like the kellers of Mexican food

I hope vt doesn't mess it up. That seems too close to the other location anyway. At least I'll be able to walk from milos to something other than torchys
mavsfan4ever
AG
It's weird that the new velvet taco location didn't work for becks or pollo tropical. Seems like a great location but both of those closed pretty quickly. I'll definitely go to velvet taco if it opens there. Really close to me and won't have to deal with the parking and long lines of the other velvet taco
Location.
DallasAggie89
AG
It's eggs, bacon, tortilla, cheese, etc.

There's only so much you can do with it.
bcasey03
AG
Tried the michoacana on jupiter?
cplatt
In McKinney, You need to go to Cookies, right off lousiana and hwy 5 by the day labor spot, behind the old shell, building changes colors periodically but the food does not.
chick79
AG
The best I've ever had is in East Dallas at a place called Good 2 Go Tacos. It's on Peavy at Garland Road. Theyre open for breakfast and lunch. They've been featured on the Food Network and it's awesome !!
chick79
AG
Another good one just recently opened up at the Exxon station on Campbell Road at Jupiter. Kind of where Richardson, Garland and Plano all come together. It's called Taqueria Garcia's.
drewser95
AG
Good2Go closed in January. Still in mourning over the Swine Bleu (pulled pork with bleu cheese cole slaw)
Just Tired
not sure if they do breakfast but try Jamal's at Parker and Avenue K. it's a little different.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Plano Tortilla Factory. 18th St
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

I feel sorry for you. You've never had a good breakfast taco. There's chorizo, beans, potatoes, sausage, etc.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Plano Tortilla Factory. 18th St

Tried it and it's above the average taco here in Plano, but still not the best.
DannyDuberstein
AG
TresPuertas
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

As a life-long Dallas resident I would have typically agreed with you, but I've experienced the other side of this.

My uncle lives near Smithson Valley down between San Antonio and Bandera and he took me to a little trailer one morning where a woman serves breakfast tacos and the line for this place was around the corner and into the street. I found out that there was a reason for this....

These were so much more than just "eggs, bacon, tortilla, cheese, etc." Homemade tortillas, beans, salsas, etc. There is a huge difference between whats done up here and whats done down south. Kind of hard to explain I know, but trust me. We do a lot of things right up here, but they've got us beat on the tacos down there.

Plano, let me know if you find anything worth venturing to. I've tried all the local gringo places, many of the taquerias, and a lot of stuff off the beaten path, but still can't find anything that really comes close.
'03ag
The texmex scene in Dallas is horrid. Ft worth is marginally better.
jtraggie99
AG
It's not Plano, but my favorite on that side of town is Los Lupes in Addison. Granted, that location cut back their breakfast to only Thursday - Sunday, but I've been hard pressed to find anything I like better. Ojeda's is one of our favorites for TexMex (their Plano location is off Coit and Parker), and they serve breakfast, but I've yet to try their breakfast tacos.
wbt5845
AG
'03ag said:

The texmex scene in North Dallas is horrid. West Ft worth is marginally better.
FIFY.

If you know where to go in Oak Cliff, south Fort Worth and Arlington, there are some great Mexican places. The lily white areas of town have horrid Mexican food but the gringos in their SUVs are too scared to venture out to where the good food is.
'03ag
True, but that was kinda my point. There isn't the abundance you'll find further south.

As taco joints go, Jalapenos Taqueria in Keller is pretty decent. El Paisa has 3 stores in the HEB area and it's good. Best I've found in "lily white" SUV land. They exist but are pretty rare.

And maybe it's a regional thing, but even the places that make their own flour tortillas, just don't quite match what I've had in south texas. I prefer them thin and dense, not airy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.