Metroplex
Sponsored by

Property tax protest question.

1,915 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Raptor
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this year our property taxes went up the maximum amount again. This is the first year I've protested the amount and I have a question for those who have protested before or who are in the know.

I filed through Dallas county's online protest system and got a reduction of $21k . $419 down to $398. I asked for $365. I still have the option to decline that offer and go to the hearing and ask for more. My question is should I decline or just accept the offer? Is a $21k a good reduction? Should I expect more? Thanks!
The Collective
AG
Unless you have compelling evidence otherwise, I would take it as a win and move on with life.
Yesterday
AG
I don't but I didn't know if it was a pushover process where I show up and they drop it another $20k. I'm ignorant so that's why I'm asking.
Post removed:
by user
Yesterday
AG
Sounds like I should accept and be happy for it. Thanks guys.
L8HIT
AG
I believe if you fight it and lose then you will not get the original reduction.
AW 1880
AG
What evidence did you use to justify your online protest? I ask because I haven't been very successful with online protests in the past.
Yesterday
AG
Took pictures of all the bad stuff and said I would have to do extensive updates and maintenance to sell the house for what they appraised it for.
ac04
i would only continue to fight if you can find comps that suggest they're way off. if current offer seems reasonable based on comps, i'd take the deal and move on.
culdeus
AG
I just use a service to do it. Well worth the money if they get something, and if they don't...who cares.
Phat32
AG
Did you just submit crappy photos and/or comps? Trying it this year via the web form.
shimmeringshark
AG
A word to the wise. Protest every year. And never online. Prep a file and give it to your wife.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
This is my experience in Colin County.

I went on line and wrote down the assessments on other homes in my area.

Ran it off and put it in a folder.

I then went to the Assessor Collector's office in McKinney. I was very polite and smiled a lot. I placed the large folder on the ladies desk and pulled out four assessments that were higher and one that was lower.

She went to her computer and within 5 minutes she offered a 20 percent drop if I signed a paper that said that I would not protest to the board that year (I think it was 2014).

I signed it, and we parted friends.

I was very polite and so was she. She saw that I was prepared and I was amazed how fast it went.

These poor government workers are overworked and a lot a people are very nasty to them.

I then signed up with a company that protest for me every year. It cost me nothing.

DannyDuberstein
AG
The Collective
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

My issue is that I can't find any data to support a protest. I'm in NW Plano and every house around us is selling immediately with bidding wars. And my tax appraisal, while rising quickly and steadily, is not exploding as quickly as the actual market seems to be.

I'm with you. The problem isn't so much the valuation - it's the taxing authorities who refuse to lower their rates.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Question on Homestead Exemption:

We bought our house in March of 2016 and are applying for HS Exemption for the 2017 Tax Year. I understand that with a HS, the most they can raise the appraisal is 10%. Does that count from 2017 to 2018 or from 2016 to 2017?
The Collective
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

We bought our house in March of 2016 and are applying for HS Exemption for the 2017 Tax Year. I understand that with a HS, the most they can raise the appraisal is 10%. Does that count from 2017 to 2018 or from 2016 to 2017?

2017 to 2018, so it will not apply to the appraisal that you just received.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
CJS4715 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

2017 to 2018, so it will not apply to the appraisal that you just received.
Crap
The Collective
AG
The purpose is that after a home is sold, the county is allowed to update the appraisal value and tax accordingly. That sets the base line, and then you as the homeowner get to file a homestead to at least control the % of increase. from that point. If the appraisal is way above your purchase price, it might be worth arguing, even though it was 9 months before year end.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
CJS4715 said:

The purpose is that after a home is sold, the county is allowed to update the appraisal value and tax accordingly. That sets the base line, and then you as the homeowner get to file a homestead to at least control the % of increase. from that point. If the appraisal is way above your purchase price, it might be worth arguing, even though it was 9 months before year end.
It's about 15% higher than what we paid. I'll go ahead and try to protetst.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Ive got a similar question...

We bought our house for $320,000 last year around this time and the appraisal came back at the same number. Assessed value was around $282k, appraised was $309k. Fast forward to now and our assessed value went up to $326k(14%), appraisal matches assessed, as we apparently aren't eligible for the 10% HS cap the first year.

Our neighbor has essentially the same floor plan in similar condition and they are sitting at $305k assessed value... so I protested and asked for $300k using a few other less comparable comps plus our neighbor. There really aren't any others I can use. They countered at $320k which is what we paid for the house last year. This still seems high to me out of principle given the neighbors value.

If I reject this... can I counter or will they typically go straight for a hearing? I feel like I have little bargaining power since it appraised at what they offered. Would you take this?
Raptor
AG
Bought house in 2011 for $173k. Appraised at 183k.

Fast forward to now. Appraised value is 243k!

No way we could sell our house for that much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.