Metroplex
Sponsored by

Byron Nelson

4,397 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Goody
wontastic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a contact or have 2 extra tickets? Hoping to get my Dad to come up from Houston so we can go.
The Pilot
AG
Saw this on fb:

Let's celebrate our 35 years in Visit Irving, Texas! We are offering a two-ticket package for $35!

Use promo code VISITIRVING http://bit.ly/23Bx810

Offer expires 5/7.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Pilot said:

Saw this on fb:

Let's celebrate our 35 years in Visit Irving, Texas! We are offering a two-ticket package for $35!

Use promo code VISITIRVING http://bit.ly/23Bx810

Offer expires 5/7.

Yep I tried it.

Click through using the option "AT&T Byron Nelson Any Day Ticket" and click on See tickets
then on the next page there is some packages on the right with codes to unlock. the Thank You Irving package for $17.50/ticket in pairs uses that code to unlock it.

$41.50 with fees and using mobile ticket.

good for entry any day.
Yesterday
AG
If you're a veteran you can get in free and get extra tickets FYI.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
03ki11erAG said:

what if I identify as a veteran?

just curious...i also feel like a senior citizen.
Yesterday
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

03ki11erAG said:

what if I identify as a veteran?

just curious...i also feel like a senior citizen.

Unlike the far left, I believe you do need proof.
chick79
AG
Is this the last year at Las Colinas? Looking forward to the move to Trinity Forest!
Yesterday
AG
It is. Not looking forward to the move.
vikitor14
I'm still not certain if I'll be able to go. I have two tickets plus a few concession coupons. I'll keep you updated.
Ag CPA
AG
03ki11erAG said:

I got to go to Trinity Forest three months ago and predict that the Nelson will not last five years there; people underestimate how bad that location is. Besides the fact that it is in arguably the worst part of Dallas, the lack of parking, amenities, and the longer drive for most of the people that actually go to the tournament will keep people at home. Add to that it's a links course (it's built on an old landfill, not out of the actual forest), Nelson's loss will be Colonial's gain.

If Dallas was that desperate to bring the Nelson back to the city they should have gone back to Preston Trails or some other nice CC north of 30.
wbt5845
AG
Trinity Forest reminds me of that Chambers Bay where they had the US Open a couple of years ago - without Puget Sound, of course. Kinda funky and tricked up.

It will be a unique stop, for sure. I think it'll be fun. It's the new wave of golf courses - more natural to where the course is vs. the manicured country club look.
powerbelly
AG
Ag CPA said:

03ki11erAG said:

I got to go to Trinity Forest three months ago and predict that the Nelson will not last five years there; people underestimate how bad that location is. Besides the fact that it is in arguably the worst part of Dallas, the lack of parking, amenities, and the longer drive for most of the people that actually go to the tournament will keep people at home. Add to that it's a links course (it's built on an old landfill, not out of the actual forest), Nelson's loss will be Colonial's gain.

If Dallas was that desperate to bring the Nelson back to the city they should have gone back to Preston Trails or some other nice CC north of 30.
None of the country clubs north of 30 wanted the Nelson. Assuming they get a good off site parking set up I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a hit.

They also are talking about doing the pavillion night events at an offsite location.
powerbelly
AG
wbt5845 said:

Trinity Forest reminds me of that Chambers Bay where they had the US Open a couple of years ago - without Puget Sound, of course. Kinda funky and tricked up.

It will be a unique stop, for sure. I think it'll be fun. It's the new wave of golf courses - more natural to where the course is vs. the manicured country club look.
I think the pros will like the change of venue. I have heard the pros that have played Trinity Forest like the course more than the TPC las colinas.
wbt5845
AG
powerbelly51 said:

wbt5845 said:

I think the pros will like the change of venue. I have heard the pros that have played Trinity Forest like the course more than the TPC las colinas.
Well, I like Mansfield National better than Las Colinas TPC.

Frankly, I think it'll be a lot of fun - Trinity Forest is actually an easier drive for me so I'm looking forward to it.
powerbelly
AG
wbt5845 said:

powerbelly51 said:

wbt5845 said:

Well, I like Mansfield National better than Las Colinas TPC.

Frankly, I think it'll be a lot of fun - Trinity Forest is actually an easier drive for me so I'm looking forward to it.
I am not entirely sure where the best place to watch out there will be, but it will be fairly spectator friendly I think.

Edit. Wrong emoticon
chick79
AG
TPC Las Colinas is not even a Top 10 venue in the Metroplex. I'm looking forward to the change. There is talk of the US Open being at Trinity Forest in the future.
powerbelly
AG
chick79 said:

TPC Las Colinas is not even a Top 10 venue in the Metroplex. I'm looking forward to the change. There is talk of the US Open being at Trinity Forest in the future.
It would be hot as hell out there in June without any shade.

There is not a single tree on the course.
chick79
AG
Dallas hosted a PGA before in August. Besides, the US Open is supposed to be tough. Make the heat a part of it!
DannyDuberstein
AG
They've figured out the Nelson offsite parking logistics well, and I expect they'll do the same for Trinity Forest.

The real key will be how much the pros like, or dislike, the course. While TPC 4 Seasons is not popular at all, I've also heard love-it-or-hate-it anecdotes on Trinity Forest so far. Will be interesting to see the reaction of the full field next year.

I really don't see a US Open or PGA being played there, but if they could just swing a decent April or May date for the Nelson vs. the crap date it has had since the WGC got going and the Players got moved to May, I'd be happy with that.
Yesterday
AG
chick79 said:

What are the ten courses that are better? I can think of several but not ten.

The course has never been the issue with the Nelson. It's the date that is the issue and there's really no prestige around the event since Mr. Nelson passed.

I haven't played Trinity Forest so I can't comment on that course. I can say that it does not have a Four Seasons on site. It's not a mere five miles from DFW and if you want to grab a beer afterwards you'll have to drive out of the ghetto to grab one.

The draw for young people was the Pavilion, the party and the social scene. I doubt they'll be able to reproduce that at Trinity Forest. I could be wrong but if their plan is to have the Pavilion off site then what's the point of that?

All of that said, I am biased. I live just down the road from TPC Las Colinas.
FincAg
AG
Byron Nelson, the reason I am working from home this week. Our office is there at MacArthur and Walnut. The parking police will be out in full force.
AggieC07
AG
powerbelly51 said:

chick79 said:

It would be hot as hell out there in June without any shade.

There is not a single tree on the course.
Was just thinking that, it's going to be brutal in May/June with no shade anywhere.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, I think they really need to get a late April, early May date. Get back in front of the Players Championship vs. the week after it, and not follow the Masters too closely. Would help with weather and support. The Players moving to May really jacked up the May sweet spot that the Nelson had for so long.
DallasAggie89
AG
Only chance for a major in the metroplex is if they move the PGA Championship to May like they are talking about.
grego
AG
Quote:

What are the ten courses that are better?

Dallas National
Colonial
Preston Trail
Brook Hollow
Shady Oaks
Royal Oaks
Vaquero
Dallas Athletic Club (2 courses)
Northwood
Lakewood
Ridglea Family

Yesterday
AG
grego said:

Quote:

What are the ten courses that are better?

Dallas National
Colonial
Preston Trail
Brook Hollow
Shady Oaks
Royal Oaks
Vaquero
Dallas Athletic Club (2 courses)
Northwood
Lakewood
Ridglea Family

Haven't played all of them but if we're talking strictly the course then Lakewood, Northwood and either ridglea courses wouldn't make it. Just my opinion.

Either way none of those clubs want the tournament so it's a moot point.
Ag CPA
AG
Years ago, the course that was always thrown out as the next venue for the Nelson was TPC Craig Ranch. Nice course but it was probably too far from Dallas considering that is where the charity aspect is concentrated.
wbt5845
AG
Ag CPA said:

Years ago, the course that was always thrown out as the next venue for the Nelson was TPC Craig Ranch. Nice course but it was probably too far from Dallas considering that is where the charity aspect is concentrated.
I really like Craig Ranch, but I think it would have the same issue Four Seasons does - too easy for these guys.
wbt5845
AG
Good article in Golf Digest today about TFGC from a guy who caddies there.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/trinity-forest-golf-club-promises-to-be-the-pga-tours-most-unique-venue/amp
culdeus
AG
Good riddance, that golf course is beyond spare.

From all I've heard of the new place it will be an improvement, I can't really imagine many places that wouldn't be.

Goody
AG
there will be a pavillion at the new location. will be less spectators for sure, but they will have plenty of hospitality venues.

Parking will obviously will be park and ride from the cotton bowl or something.

very cool course...much better than the spread out TPC, where you could have a 30 minute walk to get to some of the holes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.