Metroplex
Sponsored by

Rangers got owned today

2,355 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 752bro4
runontexas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cashner had a good thing going and protected the plate. Banny left him in 1 inning too long.

Can't wait to hear your boy Shan Shariff tomorrow....
Gil Renard
AG
Bannister doesn't get near the heat he deserves
752bro4
AG
Gil Renard said:

Tough to argue with back-to-back AL West Titles.
Gil Renard
AG
752bro4 said:

Gil Renard said:

Tough to argue with back-to-back AL West Titles.

Doesn't change the fact that it is okay to criticize the guy
DeBoss
AG
Love Banny but they need to just blow this team up and start over. Too many bad contracts for average players. I'm not sure there is 1 player on this team that should be untouchable at the moment.

Go the Cubs route, trade everything over 2 years, draft well, and restart with amazing players that you can hang on to for a long time.
TresPuertas
AG
Yup.

Start with trading Darvish, and do it now. I've lived with s***ty Rangers teams all of my life, I will put up with it for a few more years if we could follow the Cubs/Astros model of success.
mhayden
Texas only has 1 bad contract and that player is one of the few actually producing decently this year (Choo).

Properly run franchises don't need to "blow it up". How anyone could want to follow the Astros "model of success" is baffling to me. 6 years of being mediocre, a 3 year stretch of being one of the worst teams in modern baseball history and thus far it's netted them a 2nd place and 3rd place division finish. Yeah, no thanks.

Texas is positioned well for the future. Almost all their big contracts come off the books after this season or next, with a handful of young position players locked up and a lot of money to spend on pitching (which is basically the Cubs model -- their World Series rotation wasn't homegrown).

There's a reason Texas waited out Napoli to a 1-year deal and serious extension talks with Lucroy never occurred -- they knew this was a transition year.

Losing 100 games a year to get top draft picks (who are still lottery tickets) shouldn't be appealing to non-small-market teams.
powerbelly
AG
I would have zero problem trading away a few of the aging players for prospects, but blowing it up completely is a bad idea IMO.
mhayden
Definitely on the block:

Darvish - trade
Choo - trade if you can get someone to pickup half his contract
Cashner - wouldn't return much
Griffin - wouldn't return much

Guys that you'd like to trade but really can't until they establish some value:

Gomez (off the books after this year)
Napoli (off the books after this year)
Lucroy (off the books after this year)

Hamels isn't going anywhere IMO. If he's truly hurt then no one is going to take him. If he's not hurt then he's the guy that anchors your rotation the next 2 years.
LSB_2002
AG
Gomez had the worst at-bat of the year last night to end the game! But hey.............keep kissing that bat!!!
DeBoss
AG
My problem is that I just don't see any real building blocks. Gallo is still a big if, roogie is the worst defensive 2nd baseman in baseball, maz almost needs to go down to the minors now.

Then what pitcher is worth keeping? I just don't know who this franchise has as a cornerstone going forward.
mhayden
Don't let 1 month sway you that much.

Joey Gallo is 23 and has a 740 OPS in 200+ ABs.
Roughned Odor turned 23 a few months ago and has a 750 OPS in 1500+ ABs.
Nomar Mazara just turned 22 years old and has a 735 OPS in 600+ ABs.

Not many teams in baseball have 3 guys that young who have produced at the big league level already.

As for starting pitching -- yup, it's going to be light after Darvish walks... Which is what Texas will use the $40million or so they have coming off the books to go out and get.
runontexas
AG
Will the tide change when Beltran comes back?

I'm thinking they put Gallo at first and bench Napoli.
Joseydog
AG
tmaggies
AG
How about them Astros!!!
redass1876
AG
runontexas said:

Will the tide change when Beltran comes back?

I'm thinking they put Gallo at first and bench Napoli.
Beltre? And i agree with your suggestion. Let Napoli DH occasionally and give Gallo rest at 1B

If they try to put him in LF again, I will start calling for Banister's head
752bro4
AG
10-5 since OP, 8 in a row, a game above .500, 1 GB of the wildcard.
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

10-5 since OP, 8 in a row, a game above .500, 1 GB of the wildcard.

11-5, 9 in a row, 2 games above .500, .5GB pending future games tonight
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.