Metroplex
Sponsored by

DCAD 2017

4,285 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggielostinETX
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

So is market value accounted for in structure value or just land? To me increases in structure value should be related to renovations/improvements to the house. It seems like value increases due to desirability of the neighborhood should be baked into the land value. Asking bc we have made zero improvements to our house yet the structure value on our appraisal went up ~$10k

The Plano housing market is hot due to the large companies moving into the area. My structure value increased only $3K ($282K --> $285K) while my land value went up $20K ($85K -->$105).

Therefore, I think it's safe to say your "desirability of the neighborhood should be baked into the land value" is correct. I've made no major home renovations/improvements to the house.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
gd28 said:

So is market value accounted for in structure value or just land? To me increases in structure value should be related to renovations/improvements to the house. It seems like value increases due to desirability of the neighborhood should be baked into the land value. Asking bc we have made zero improvements to our house yet the structure value on our appraisal went up ~$10k

Yeah, I'm in Rockwall and have the same issue.

We didn't touch our house (in fact, we're having a structural engineer come look at a retaining wall that needs repairs this week) and somehow they bumped my "structural" up $40K since last year. $0 on land value increases.

I'm planning to protest the hell out of this one.
aggielostinETX
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

gd28 said:

We didn't touch our house (in fact, we're having a structural engineer come look at a retaining wall that needs repairs this week) and somehow they bumped my "structural" up $40K since last year. $0 on land value increases.

Are they are doing here is separating improvement from lot value. You needing work done on the retaining wall won't really help that one way or the other.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Deats said:

JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

gd28 said:

Are they are doing here is separating improvement from lot value. You needing work done on the retaining wall won't really help that one way or the other.

Yeah, I didn't mean to indicate that it would help - just to point out that our overall structure did not improve. Still not sure I understand why they would designate that money as structural improvements and say $0 for lot value if their point is that the market went up. Seems that would be an improvement in the overall value of the lot.
aggielostinETX
AG
They do that b/c you cannot appeal lot value, only structure value. It shrinks the amount you can appeal.
powerbelly
AG
Deats said:

They do that b/c you cannot appeal lot value, only structure value. It shrinks the amount you can appeal.
Yep, I only get lot value increases.
PlanoAg98
AG
I know that the increases makes your tax increase, However, don't you want your home value to increase for when you come to sell?
aggielostinETX
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

I know that the increases makes your tax increase, However, don't you want your home value to increase for when you come to sell?
No one looks at CAD when selling a house.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

I'm guessing this is not the appraisal the mortgage company looks at when approving the buyer's loan? If not, what is that one?
drewser95
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

I'm guessing this is not the appraisal the mortgage company looks at when approving the buyer's loan? If not, what is that one?
By "CAD" he means the central appraisal district's assessed value of the property for tax purposes. Yes -- different from the appraisal the lender orders for a purchase/refi.
aggielostinETX
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

The one you pay your lender for during the loan process, That they outsource(per law) to be completed by some untrained unaccountable *******(*) for about $5-700, that takes about 2 hours to do and can wreck your entire loan. No, I am not bitter.

*not all appraisers are this but everyone I have met is
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

They have their own appraisal done since they're trying to make sure they can cover the loan with the collateral of the house.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Deats said:

I'm confused though - my structural went up $40K, my lot $0. Are they just being nice here and giving me an opportunity to appeal I otherwise wouldn't have?
Duncan Idaho
M-streetish area

Structure down 2%, land up 14%. Taxes raised the 10% Max.
The Collective
AG
Not DCAD but up 10% in Parker County.
MGS
PlanoAg98 said:

My land value went up $20K ($85K --> $105K) in north Plano. Thanks Toyota!
Have you told Collin CAD about your neighbor's mailbox?
MGS

Codeno
AG
I'm not quite sure what all my numbers mean but I know my estimated taxes are estimated to go up over $750. For reference I live in far north Dallas, right next to JJ Pearce.

Here are the raw numbers.

2016 market value: $315,900
2017 market value: 386,780

2016 appraised capped value: $290,059
2017 appraised capped value: $319,064

Quick math tells me my appraised capped value went up the 10% max.

Market value of land went up $25K from $70,000 to $95,000.

Market value of structure went up $46K from $245,900 to $291,780.

I know houses in my neighborhood are going for upper $300's and lower $400's but we haven't made any upgrades.

Do I have a leg to stand on when I protest?
hph6203
AG
You can dispute the improvement value, and you're looking at ~10% tax increase for the next two years if you don't succeed with your dispute.
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

Filed my protest... my street of 25 houses has 3 that have sold in the last 2 years, and all three of us are getting bent over. The rest of the street is long-time owners,many with Over 65 exemptions. DCAD has what is pretty close to our sales price listed. Dirt valued about 1:1 with improvement. Improvement went up 205% year over year, dirt only 3%.

Asked for 2016's + 20%, with a lot of bullchit data thrown in from the DCAD site. Praying for that, would settle for anything.
Received a settlement offer already. They had my property assessed at $4k over what I paid for it in February. They offered to reduce it to my sales price.

Quote:

Once you have accepted the offer, your protest will be withdrawn, and your formal hearing before the Appraisal Review Board will be cancelled. If you do not agree with the value, you do not need to do anything further. Your hearing is set before the Appraisal Review Board (ARB) on: (Not Scheduled). Please plan on attending this hearing and bring any additional documentation that you wish to submit. Any previously submitted documentation will be available to the ARB and to you at the time of the hearing in an electronic format.

Thank You for utilizing the DCAD uFile Online System. Due to the nature of electronic email, junk mail trapping software and spam email software, we cannot guarantee that this confirmation email will reach the submitted email address.
Complete bullchit that CAD has access to MLS.
aggielostinETX
AG
you were fighting a losing battle...
752bro4
AG
Deats said:

you were fighting a losing battle...
Sadly, you are correct. Based upon chatter on Nextdoor, we are all getting very similar notes today.

I am going to take it to the ARB, I don't think I have much to lose.
OldAg93
AG
Anyone have experience with DCAD appraisals for homes under construction?

My new place will be finished soon (~3 weeks), and the DCAD appraisal shows it at 50% finished. However they also show the livable square footage at about 1200 more than what I'll have. We'll have ~900sf of unfinished space which we may finish out at some point in the future, but I was hoping that wouldn't be counted toward taxes.

My problem is whether I should protest based on the square footage listed on the appraisal? And if I do and they find out that the house is ready to be lived in will they just show the % complete as 100% and I'll end up walking out of the office with a higher tax bill?

At some point the city will get some type of notice that the house is 100% complete, right? And will I get stuck with an updated tax bill or will it just take effect next year? And should I protest the square footage?
aggielostinETX
AG
1. I just fixed my sq ft with showing them plans
2. It's based on 12-31 condition.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.