Metroplex
Sponsored by

DCAD 2017

4,284 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggielostinETX
drewser95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like preliminary values are out for residential.

Grateful for just a humble 2% increase in Lowest Greenville. Strangely, for the first time since 2003 my land value went down $20K, and improvements went up (house is original 1920s construction).

No complaints I guess. What's everyone else seeing?
txag2008
AG
Market value stayed the same as 2016, but the capped value increased 10% and will continue for the next few years to catch up. This is after market value increased 60% last year (prior to fighting it down).

Far N Dallas
drmwvr
AG
Mine stayed the same as last year. I'm surprised but happy for sure!
FTAco07
AG
Second year to have full value of a new construction and mine only went up 1% in east Dallas. I'll take it.
YouBet
AG
No change but we also bought this house in November 2015 which triggered a doubling over the previous value and thus the taxes I pay.
752bro4
AG
Bought a house in Feb with no homestead. Up $200k+. Ouch. Apologies to my neighbors.
FincAg
AG
No change
riverrataggie
AG
No change here as well. #blessed
hph6203
AG
txag2008 said:

Market value stayed the same as 2016, but the capped value increased 10% and will continue for the next few years to catch up. This is after market value increased 60% last year (prior to fighting it down).

Far N Dallas

This, but I'm done with the carryover after this year. First time in the 3 years (4 assessments) I've owned it that the value hasn't increased by 10+%.
aggielostinETX
AG
Market value after remodel up $200k.
Capped value about $80k less than market.

Taxes will be a ***** this year.
vette
AG
My duplex rentals in Coppell got hammered
YouBet
AG
752bro4 said:

Bought a house in Feb with no homestead. Up $200k+. Ouch. Apologies to my neighbors.

I probably made many of my neighbors estatic. In a hood that is older with a lot of original members who are probably looking to sell and/or downsize now that kids are gone. Gave them almost a $300k market bump. Our sellers probably walked away owing nothing or next to nothing on this house.

Just praying the next wave doesn't move in, knock down, and build mcmansions. Our street is all 1 story and the house behind me was purchased and some work has started.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Could be worse.
JBLHAG03
AG
Moved 1 mile from an overpriced lot ($200k) to a bigger, cheaper lot ($80k), which was raised to $150k, so I guess they found me.

Im riding an over 65 exemption this year so dont really have to worry until next year.
Robert C. Christian
AG
For the first time I didn't have a change in my appraised value. I am willing to ride it, but, does this mean they can raise my appraised 20% next year?

This happened to my brother in Ft. Worth. They hadn't appraised his house in years and gets a notice that they are raising his appraised value 50% because of the "Homestead Cap Loss" rule.

Will fighting to lower the 0% prevent this from happening to me? Or should I just ride it?
aggielostinETX
AG
JBLHAG03 said:

Moved 1 mile from an overpriced lot ($200k) to a bigger, cheaper lot ($80k), which was raised to $150k, so I guess they found me.

Im riding an over 65 exemption this year so dont really have to worry until next year.

where did you go?
aggielostinETX
AG
nope, just 10% per year in taxable rise.

below is correct...
txag2008
AG
Your appraised value increase has no cap. There's a 10% max increase on taxable value. Your taxable value can continue to rise 10%/yr to catch up to your appraised.
Robert C. Christian
AG
txag2008 said:

Your appraised value increase has no cap. There's a 10% max increase on taxable value. Your taxable value can continue to rise 10%/yr to catch up to your appraised.
Thanks that is what I was hoping for. I knew appraised had no limit, but I was worried that next year they could get me for a 20% increase to catch up since there was no change to the appraised this year.
JBLHAG03
AG
Merriman Park North. Kids still go to LHE.

Sold Brentgate house for $145k more than we paid for it 6 years ago so just got out of Northlake and into a bigger house.
aggielostinETX
AG
not faulting ya. good move.
bblake06
AG
We bought our first house in April of 2016 that already had a homestead exemption. We filed the homestead exemption again in January. The taxable value increased about 65% from 2016-17. I'm guessing this was possible due to the change in ownership?

As a new homeowner, I want to make sure I'm not being taken to the woodshed. The listed "market value" is a hair below what I paid for it. Is the county able to apply the significant increase in value when ownership changes?

I'm capable of paying the increased amount, but I can think of a few ways I'd rather spend an extra $3000.

aggielostinETX
AG
BBAggie06 said:

We bought our first house in April of 2016 that already had a homestead exemption. We filed the homestead exemption again in January. The taxable value increased about 65% from 2016-17. I'm guessing this was possible due to the change in ownership?

As a new homeowner, I want to make sure I'm not being taken to the woodshed. The listed "market value" is a hair below what I paid for it. Is the county able to apply the significant increase in value when ownership changes?

I'm capable of paying the increased amount, but I can think of a few ways I'd rather spend an extra $3000.

Yes, a change of home ownership allows for a true up.
bblake06
AG
Thanks, Deats. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.
aggielostinETX
AG
BBAggie06 said:

Thanks, Deats. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Same thing happened to us.

Taxes went from a locked over 65 homestead exemption to just a homestead and tax bill went from $3k to $9k.

Quite a kick in the shorts.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Can you protest based on other DCAD stated values or do you pretty much have to use MLS data?
drewser95
AG
You can, per the DCAD website:
Quote:

• Your property is valued unequally compared with other property in the Appraisal District.
    The Texas Constitution gives property owners the right to equal and uniform taxation. For instance, if your property is appraised at 100% of market value and similar properties are appraised at 90% of market value, then you have a right to protest your value based on the Appraisal District's failure to appraise equally and uniformly. This type of protest will require more evidence than other types of protests.

752bro4
AG
Filed my protest... my street of 25 houses has 3 that have sold in the last 2 years, and all three of us are getting bent over. The rest of the street is long-time owners,many with Over 65 exemptions. DCAD has what is pretty close to our sales price listed. Dirt valued about 1:1 with improvement. Improvement went up 205% year over year, dirt only 3%.

Asked for 2016's + 20%, with a lot of bullchit data thrown in from the DCAD site. Praying for that, would settle for anything.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
Based on a BIT of dcad snooping, I'm right in the middle of comparable houses around me. There are a couple assessed at $xxx less, and a couple assessed at $xxx more. Almost identical numbers.

So, on one hand, got lucky. But man it would be nice to drop that tax bill some...
PlanoAg98
AG
My land value went up $20K ($85K --> $105K) in north Plano. Thanks Toyota!
gd28
AG
So is market value accounted for in structure value or just land? To me increases in structure value should be related to renovations/improvements to the house. It seems like value increases due to desirability of the neighborhood should be baked into the land value. Asking bc we have made zero improvements to our house yet the structure value on our appraisal went up ~$10k
aggielostinETX
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Based on a BIT of dcad snooping, I'm right in the middle of comparable houses around me. There are a couple assessed at $xxx less, and a couple assessed at $xxx more. Almost identical numbers.

So, on one hand, got lucky. But man it would be nice to drop that tax bill some...
What pisses me off the most is the fact that they are using the "permit" process against us.

Pull a permit = Tax man knows
No Permit = Tax man doesn't know
Mollie03
AG
What are the chances of getting an appraisal from October considered as my market value? My refi was based on that and now 5 months later 15k increase. Can I protest based on that?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.