Metroplex
Sponsored by

RIP 95.9 The Ranch

7,517 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last songs played on 95.9 The Ranch
[ol]

• Before The Devil Knows We're Dead
    Turnpike Troubadours
    Goodbye Normal Street

about 1 minute ago

• Head On
    Jamestown Revival

6 minutes ago

• Neon Blues
    Randy Rogers Band

14 minutes ago

• Red Fire Night
    Green River Ordinance
    The Collection - Live & Unplugged

17 minutes ago

• Sweet Amarillo
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Remedy

20 minutes ago

• Honey Pie
    Jonathan Tyler

26 minutes ago

• Mama Knows the Highway
    Hal Ketchum
    Greatest Hits

30 minutes ago

• Anna Marie
    Whiskey Myers
    Firewater

34 minutes ago

• Tennessee Whiskey
    Chris Stapleton

39 minutes ago

• I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight
    Sunny Sweeney

42 minutes ago

• A Country Boy Can Survive
    Hank Williams Jr.
    America (The Way I See It) - Original Classic Hits, Vol.18

49 minutes ago

• Up Against the Wall Redneck
    Jerry Jeff Walker
  • [/ol]
    mts6175
    AG
    Ranch started dying three years ago the first time they tried to do this. It hasn't been the same since. Same with 94.9 The Outlaw out of Wichita Falls. Used to be the best radio station in Texas until Cumulus bought them out.
    hatchback
    AG
    ol_army12 said:

I heard Justin apologized and said they are going back to the original format! Glad they listened to their fanbase!
    See, it is worthwhile to make your opinion known.
    jsdaltxag
    He apologized, but I did not hear him say they were going to revert back. He said they listened to their listeners, and have to find ways to make the station bigger and better. They will continue to play TX/RD music, but sounds like they will continue to mix in other artists (mainstream). Time will tell.
    TresPuertas
    AG
    If those playlists are any indication I have no problem with their format change. Now, if they are playing bro-country, then its a problem, but there is only so much red dirt to go around. Mixing in some classics, some more alt country (see: Ryan Adams), and some of the newer red-dirt stuff is a-ok with me.

I suppose it needs to be said that I pretty much bailed on a lot of the "red dirt" scene about 10 years ago when it started getting ridiculous, but I'm sure there is some pretty good stuff still out there.
    Comeby!
    AG
    Red dirt doesn't pay the bills. It's such a small genre.
    My Dad Earl
    AG
    TresPuertas said:

I suppose it needs to be said that I pretty much bailed on a lot of the "red dirt" scene about 10 years ago when it started getting ridiculous, but I'm sure there is some pretty good stuff still out there.

Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on how it's become ridiculous?
    TresPuertas
    AG
    I got really into the genre in the late 90's when I was in high school and stuck with it all the way through my time in College Station. What a time to be there, because that type of music was at its pinnacle. It was new, fresh sounding, had an edge to it, and much of the lyrical content was clever and thought out.

And then the inevitable happened. A lot of college kids picked up an acoustic guitar and started singing songs about the Lone Star state, Lone Star Beer, and drinking Lone Star Beer in the lone star state. It just kind of lost its edge to me and became really unimaginative and stale. There was just only so far you could go with it.

I certainly don't want to make it sound like I have a problem if people are still into the genre and I can see how my last post came off and being a music-dick. If you are into it, more power to you, because at its worst, its still 1000% better than the schlock being produced in Tennessee.
    True Anomaly
    AG
    Someone educate me on this- when did the title become "red dirt"? When I got interested in it in the mid-to-late 90's, it was "Texas Country" or even slightly later "Americana". Dale Watson tried to coin the term "Ameripolitan"
    AgBQ-00
    AG
    When those from north of the red river started honing into the scene they introduced the term red dirt.
    TSUAggie
    Those like Josh Abbott, Casey Donahew, Bart Crow, etc. don't do the scene any favors. There isn't much to separate them from the trash in Nashville.
    My Dad Earl
    AG
    TSUAggie said:

Those like Josh Abbott, Casey Donahew, Bart Crow, etc. don't do the scene any favors. There isn't much to separate them from the trash in Nashville.
    Agreed. I was really into them through college but then their music just started sounding bland. And the music they put out today sounds just the same as it did 10 years ago. Luckily there are some refreshing artists like Cody Jinks or Turnpike Troubadors to keep things fresh.
    Chewy
    AG
    Problem with guys like Abbott, Donahew, and Crow is they have maybe two albums in them. I tend to like each of their early stuff when it was more raw but as they "create" more songs it becomes more of the same and produced.

It still beats the crap out of Nashville stuff though.
    OregonAggie
    AG
    ol_army12 said:

92.1 Hank FM has really good signal down south/southwest of Fort Worth, but they play their fair share of the Nashville stuff. They are owned by the company who owns the Ranch.

I was talking about 92.1 The Possum in North East Dallas/ Mckinney area. They're owned by 95.3 The Range and play a lot of classic stuff and stuff into the 90's.
    Ag CPA
    AG
    When they kicked off the station back around 2003? it had a good mix of classic and 90s country included, wish they would have stuck with that format and not gone all red dirt 8-9 years ago. There is a lot of good Texas music and then there is crap that gets on the air just by mentioning Texas, tacos, Lone Star, Guadalupe, hill country, and guitar in a song.
    agcrock2005
    AG
    Ag CPA said:

When they kicked off the station back around 2003? it had a good mix of classic and 90s country included, wish they would have stuck with that format and not gone all red dirt 8-9 years ago. There is a lot of good Texas music and then there is crap that gets on the air just by mentioning Texas, tacos, Lone Star, Guadalupe, hill country, and guitar in a song.
    I don't think many will agree with you on this thread...
    helgs
    AG
    TexAg15 said:

Step 1: Get Sirius
    Step 2: Tune to Sirius 60
    Step 3:???????
    Step 4: Profit
    I'm on a trial of sirius in my Ford. It sounds like complete ass. Like, AM radio quality. How does anybody listen to this? There's no fidelity in the sound. It's flat, non-punchy, and so heavily compressed that you can hear artifacts. How is this company still around?
    powerbelly
    AG
    helgs said:

TexAg15 said:

Step 1: Get Sirius
    Step 2: Tune to Sirius 60
    Step 3:???????
    Step 4: Profit
    I'm on a trial of sirius in my Ford. It sounds like complete ass. Like, AM radio quality. How does anybody listen to this? There's no fidelity in the sound. It's flat, non-punchy, and so heavily compressed that you can hear artifacts. How is this company still around?
    Because most people trade the less optimal sound quality for the ability to get stations they like wherever they are.
    P.H. Dexippus
    AG
    Is it just me or have they reverted to the Texas/red dirt format? I'm not hearing the classic rock/Nashville stuff this week.
    Refresh
    Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.