Metroplex
Sponsored by

RIP 95.9 The Ranch

7,532 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You wavered from your identity and I can't bring myself to listen anymore. It was good while it lasted.
CampingAg
AG
What happened? I love the Ranch, but only listen during the small portion of my days that I'm in range.
My Dad Earl
AG
Starting this past Friday, they are now including mainstream artists in their playlists. Dirks Bentley, Eric Church, Easton Corbin, Zac Brown, The Lumineers etc. are all being played, along with classic rock artists like the Stones, Eagles, etc.

Not that this is all bad music (except for the Nashville crap) but they're no longer exclusively non-mainstream. While about 75% of their music is their traditional stuff, it still turns me completely off that they've changed their format and gone away from what made them unique in the first place.

aggie_wes
AG
I was driving the other day and heard Sam Hunt on there and I was like WTF? Am I on the wrong station? No. The ranch is officially dead to me.
lawless89
Yeah I just discovered the ranch about a month ago and was pumped that it was a lot of Texas country...then the past few days it's just been garbage.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Damn I go out of town for two days & then this happens????
Chewy
AG
Here's a good article on it:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/ft-worths-95-9-the-ranch-comes-under-fire-after-format-change-playlist-analysis/
My Dad Earl
AG
Yea the scariest quote from that article...

"The big test for The Ranch may not be right now, but in a few weeks when they find out if the format tweak is effective. If it is, then maybe they pat themselves on the back and go about their business. Or, perhaps they ask what more mainstream country songs could do. The worry is where it may lead The Ranch and stations like it in the future."
Chewy
AG
Has there been a change in ownership pushing this? Didn't sound like it.

What I found weird is Shane Hollinger is the program director implementing the change according to the article. I never really liked him as a DJ as he was always playing some really alternate stuff further away from what I consider Red Dirt much less Nashville. Seems weird he'd be leading any change to anything Nashville.

Might sound weird to say but having 95.9 The Ranch is part of what made Fort Worth so unique for me. That was the only station I needed in this world and it fit right in with the music scene in Fort Worth.
My Dad Earl
AG
Chewy said:

Has there been a change in ownership pushing this? Didn't sound like it.

What I found weird is Shane Hollinger is the program director implementing the change according to the article. I never really liked him as a DJ as he was always playing some really alternate stuff further away from what I consider Red Dirt much less Nashville. Seems weird he'd be leading any change to anything Nashville.

Might sound weird to say but having 95.9 The Ranch is part of what made Fort Worth so unique for me. That was the only station I needed in this world and it fit right in with the music scene in Fort Worth.
I feel the exact same way about the station making Fort Worth unique. I felt like it played a huge role in what makes Fort Worth so great.

But yes, Justin Frazell and especially Shayne Hollinger have been staunchly defending the move on Twitter and the message board. It sounds like management made the decision to include mainstream content and left the hosts to hold down the fort from all the customer attacks. After listening to these hosts for years, I can't imagine that they are really into this kind of music like they now say they are.

I don't know a thing about the radio industry, but I'd really be interested to see how their ratings are affected here in about a month or two. The only people who I have seen defending the move are the hosts and the local artists who still get airtime on the station (because they won't get played anywhere else).
TexAg15
AG
Step 1: Get Sirius
Step 2: Tune to Sirius 60
Step 3:???????
Step 4: Profit
Chewy
AG
That's odd Frazell is defending it as well since he was as Red Dirt as anyone.

I wonder if that new tower cost has them trying to boost advertising revenue through the rest of the Metroplex instead of their old tower in Weatherford that just touched the Westoplex.
CampingAg
AG
Sheesh, if I wanna hear Sam Hunt I'll turn on the Wolf or KSCS. #MaketheRanchGreatAgain
Yesterday
AG
The almighty dollar wins in the end.
LSB_2002
AG
Shane hollinger is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing more to add here.
My Dad Earl
AG
Chewy said:

He put this out the other day, obviously showing sarcasm...

TresPuertas
AG
TexAg15 said:

Step 1: Get Sirius
Step 2: Tune to Sirius 60
Step 3:???????
Step 4: Profit

There is some good stuff on Outlaw, but you will also hear some of the most ridiculously terrible music ever recorded on that station.
YouBet
AG
Maybe they are trying to grab some of the former Eagle and Edge market share since those stations died?
Gil Renard
AG
What's a good classic country station or anything non bro country left in DFW?
True Anomaly
AG
Has no one here heard of 95.3 KHYI?
FTAco07
AG
True Anomaly said:

Oh I've heard of it, I just can't hear it in my car because the signal is such garbage.
OregonAggie
AG
True Anomaly said:

I think they're terrible 50% of the time. I'm a huge Texas/Red Dirt country fan and I can't get into some of the obscure artists 95.3 plays. The ranch was awesome and I would stream them in the car often, although I haven't in the last month or so. I won't anymore because of this change.

The ranch played a lot more newer Tx Country guys that you'd never hear on the 95.3. Josh Ward, Cody Johnson, Aaron Watson, Sam Riggs, Mike Ryan, etc are constantly played in my car while driving around and I could always tune into 95.9 to hear them. I heard of a few guys just based on listening to the Ranch but no way I'm tuning in to hear crap. Like others said, I'd turn on 99.5 if I wanted my ears to bleed.

Sam Hunt on 95.9???? Say it ain't so!
OregonAggie
AG
Gil Renard said:

What's a good classic country station or anything non bro country left in DFW?

92.1 has a bad signal but it's really good.
proc
AG
ol_army12 said:

Chewy said:

He put this out the other day, obviously showing sarcasm...

See you down the road.
My Dad Earl
AG
92.1 Hank FM has really good signal down south/southwest of Fort Worth, but they play their fair share of the Nashville stuff. They are owned by the company who owns the Ranch.
My Dad Earl
AG
Statement from The Ranch...

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/95-9-the-ranch-releases-statement-after-recent-format-tweak/
Chewy
AG
That article sounds like Frazell and Hollinger are trying to turn The Ranch into their own Pandora station. I never really liked Holinger because he stayed away from what I consider true TX/RD music. Sounds like their going further away from it.

I love Merle but I don't want him on The Ranch. I like ZBB but I don't want them on The Ranch. Same with Gary Allan. Eric Church? Really? Springsteen? Skynrd? This reeks of a music snob thinking they know what's best for everyone but they actually have no idea. They've turned it into their personal playground thinking they know best for everyone when they don't know at all.

I listen to The Ranch SOLELY to hear TX/RDR artists I can't hear anywhere else. I don't want to waste time with people I can hear anywhere else. I loved The Ranch exposing me to people like Turnpike and William Clark Green. Now they're nothing but my customized Randy Rogers Band Pandora station that's I've adapted over the years bringing in some George and Hank with my likes and rejects. I don't need Frazell or Hollinger doing that for me. I have Pandora for that. I want them to expose me to TX/RDR artist I'd never get exposure to on Pandora or anywhere else.

If they want to be their own Pandora station I'll just listen to my own Pandora station which I pay for each month so I don't have to listen to ads.

Good luck The Ranch but I think you're headed down the wrong path for what you should be.
hatchback
AG
Have you considered letting them know how you feel? I doubt they're reading TexAgs and if they hear from enough passionate listeners, the might make some adjustments.
Chewy
AG
Nah. They're either chasing ratings with this format change or they're thinking they know more than they're audience. Based on what I've read they're well aware of the blowback and don't care.

They're chasing dollars or their own ego so my opinion isn't going to sway them. I'll just stick to venting here!
wangus12
AG
That sucks. I can't pick up 95.9 in Dallas, but every time I headed to FW, it was on. I do listen to 95.3. Its the best you're gonna get on the east side of the metroplex these days
My Dad Earl
AG
hatchback said:

Have you considered letting them know how you feel? I doubt they're reading TexAgs and if they hear from enough passionate listeners, the might make some adjustments.
Trust me. They've heard all of this and more (even death threats) from angry listeners from Twitter, the website's message board, email, etc. My mother-in-law even called and spoke with Shane Hollinger and told him basically everything that Chewy said above.
lawless89
They are talking about it now. Think they are saying they screwed up, but they aren't exactly saying that:
My Dad Earl
AG
I heard Justin apologized and said they are going back to the original format! Glad they listened to their fanbase!
proc
AG
Last songs played on 95.9 The Ranch
[ol]

• We Should Be Friends
    Miranda Lambert

4 minutes ago

• Let It Ride
    Ryan Adams
    2005-06-16: Stubb's BBQ, Austin, TX, USA

7 minutes ago

• Nobody's Home
    Clint Black
    Ultimate Clint Black

14 minutes ago

• From Where I'm Standing
    Curtis Grimes

17 minutes ago

• Empty Glass
    Gary Stewart

28 minutes ago

• Trouble
    Wade Bowen
    If We Ever Make It Home

36 minutes ago

• La Grange
    ZZ Top
    Greatest Hits

40 minutes ago

• I Can Still Make Cheyenne
    George Strait
    50 Number Ones

48 minutes ago

• Feelin' Good Again
    Robert Earl Keen
    Walking Distance

51 minutes ago

• Stars on the Water
    Rodney Crowell
    Rodney Crowell

about 1 hour ago

• Crazy Women
    Brandy Clark
    12 Stories

about 1 hour ago

• Copperhead Road
    Steve Earle
    Copperhead Road

about 1 hour ago

• Best Mistake I Ever Made
    Kevin Fowler
    Bring It On

about 1 hour ago

• Tall City Blues
    Flatland Cavalry

about 1 hour ago

• Cry Pretty
    Jason Eady
    When The Money's All gone

about 1 hour ago
  • [/ol]
    aggie_wes
    AG
    I approve of this playlist
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.