Metroplex
Sponsored by

Food recommendations

3,005 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mavsfan4ever
TexasAggies06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have some friends coming in from out of state next weekend and want to line up some good meals while they're here. I'd appreciate some recommendations for the following in the Dallas/Plano/Frisco area:

1. Best BBQ
2. Best TexMex
3. Best Sunday Brunch

Thanks in advance!
Pabby
AG
1. Pecan Lodge
3. Breadwinners/Meddlesome Moth
Hooti Hound Ag
AG
1. Pecan Lodge
2. E-Bar
3. Villa O (Boozy) or Breadwinners/Bolsa/Smoke if not.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Ten50 for BBQ off 75 in Richardson. Their brisket and burnt ends are the best I've ever consumed. Best okra too. Pecan Lodge is really good too, if you don't want to mess with the line ten50 is your spot.

Tex-mex: E-bar or Matts. Plenty of other spots depending on location and atmosphere.

Brunch: Breadwinners, Oasis Cafe, Unleavened Fresh Kitchen.
dcbowers
AG
My Peacan Lodge secret: Go "early" on Friday evening (before 6:30 pm) if you can. The line is rarely longer than 15 minutes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pabby
AG
Also for Pecan Lodge, if you have a big enough group you can skip the line and get a bulk order (5 lb total meat I believe)
OregonAggie
AG
If y'all want to stay closer to Plano/Frisco for BBQ, Hutchins puts out some great BBQ.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Pecan Lodge hands down for bbq
The Pilot
AG

2. Mia's on Lemmon
MW03
AG
Personally, I think the seminal Dallas TexMex dish is brisket tacos. That's why I'd go to Avila's on Maple. Great salsa, too.

Mia's is a strong choice, though.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Avila's is my favorite mexican restaurant food wise. Mia's has good brisket tacos but Avilas is definitely better overall.
rsf0626
There's too many good brunch places in dallas to pick a favorite
agcrock2005
AG
txswag06 said:

1. Depends on where you are. Lots of folks saying Pecan Lodge on here but I went last week for lunch and it was awful. Burned ribs and brisket. (pic below) It was some of worst I've had. Mac & Cheese was great though. I understand that's probably not the norm considering their Texas Monthly ranking but if I were you I would hit up one of these: Hutchins (McKinney or Frisco), Meat U Anywhere (Grapevine or Trophy Club) or Billy Oak Acres (Nort Fort Worth) if you're around those areas. I haven't had any luck with either Lockhart Smokehouse (Bishop Arts or Plano) but I've heard good things.

2. Avila's. Tried E-bar last week and it was decent. Wouldn't recommend it.
3. No clue. Will have to try some of these.

Quinn
AG
agcrock2005 said:

txswag06 said:

1. Depends on where you are. Lots of folks saying Pecan Lodge on here but I went last week for lunch and it was awful. Burned ribs and brisket. (pic below) It was some of worst I've had. Mac & Cheese was great though. I understand that's probably not the norm considering their Texas Monthly ranking but if I were you I would hit up one of these: Hutchins (McKinney or Frisco), Meat U Anywhere (Grapevine or Trophy Club) or Billy Oak Acres (Nort Fort Worth) if you're around those areas. I haven't had any luck with either Lockhart Smokehouse (Bishop Arts or Plano) but I've heard good things.

2. Avila's. Tried E-bar last week and it was decent. Wouldn't recommend it.
3. No clue. Will have to try some of these.

Meat U Anywhere is pretty good. I've had similar disappointing results with Lockhart, though I've only been twice.

E Bar is my usual stop, though I wouldn't consider it outstanding or anything along those lines.

Hattie's in Bishop Arts is really good for brunch.
GarlandAg2012
AG
1. Whole Dallas area: Pecan Lodge Northern Metro: I really like Lockhart in Plano, also Meshack's in Garland is an interesting experience
2. Haven't found a favorite in the heart of Dallas yet. I think my favorite might actually be Taqueria la Jaliciense in Garland. Get the beef quesadilla (it's actually more like tacos). We call it "the greasy taco place" and it will always have a spot in my heart
3. Breadwinners. The Grape. Haven't tried it yet but I hear Rapscallion's is good too.
wbt5845
AG
To get the best BBQ and TexMex in D/FW, you're gonna need to leave your white bread world of Dallas/Plano/Frisco.
Quinn
AG
wbt5845 said:

To get the best BBQ and TexMex in D/FW, you're gonna need to leave your white bread world of Dallas/Plano/Frisco.
Where is the best non-white bread bbq?
wbt5845
AG
I'm a big fan of JD's on Jefferson Blvd. Hardeman's on Westmorland is also great.
realestateguru
AG
wbt5845 said:

I'm a big fan of JD's on Jefferson Blvd. Hardeman's on Westmorland is also great.

I wouldn't even call that a BBQ joint. Their brisket is terrible, ribs taste steamed and the rest of the food is like a Tony Romas.
Phat32
AG
wbt5845 said:

That's like foodie misconception 101. Good food can exist inside a metro...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

1. Lockhart in Bishop Arts also a cool place to walk around or Pecan Lodge but the line ugh
2. Mi Cocina (more for atmosphere) or Mariano's Hacienda or Pappasito's or Mia's
3. Breadwinners in uptown, Grape on Greenville need reservation
The Pilot
AG
Quote:

2. Mi Cocina
I've tried Mi Cocina a few times and I don't understand the hype.
powerbelly
AG
The Pilot said:

Quote:

2. Mi Cocina
I've tried Mi Cocina a few times and I don't understand the hype.
They hype is that rich women get drunk there. The food is just okay.
TexasAggies06
AG
Thanks for all the recommendations, we hit up Pecan Lodge, Mia's, and Breadwinner's. All were excellent, now will have to check out all of the other spots mentioned!
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Frankie's in Richardson for Tex-Mex. It's seriously a gem and if none have tried it I highly recommend it. Also if you're looking for a good burger, some beer, and a patio then Shady's right next to it is a great option.
91AggieLawyer
AG
1. Peggy Sues near SMU, though they've slipped a little as of late.
2. Mias.
3. (at church) but waffles on Sat. late morning at my house is better than most other places I would want to go.
skippytimmy
AG
wow. there are some horrible recommendations on this page....
mavsfan4ever
AG
Peggy sues is awful BBQ.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.