Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dental insurance ?

2 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieMavsfan
progress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Unsure where to post But trying here.

I need to get dental insurance for the family- needed some guidance / advice on plans , carriers, pricing etc.

Quick google searches were fine but could use some first hand advice.
Stive
AG
Not much help on the plans, but my mother has worked for a dentist for almost 40 years and says that dental insurance is one of the bigger wastes a family can buy. She acknowledges that there are certain scenarios where you'll come ahead financially but in most cases it's a waste of money.
Aggiewes
AG
Dental insurance that is not part of a group plan is typically not worth it. Look at what the plans pay vs what you pay.....
BeardofZeus01
AG
define "need" ... do you or a family member have urgent dental needs you are wanting to address now? insurance may not be the best way to do that as many plans have 6 or 12 month waiting periods before benefits are available for major services. If no waiting period, then premiums will typically be higher. Another option would be to consider an office that offers an "in house" or "membership" plan. A monthly fee commonly gets you all your preventive care at no charge and also a healthy discount on all other services. If you need care quickly, there's plenty of good Ags in DFW that would be happy to get you squared away. We have offices in Mansfield, North Arlington and N Ft Worth if you're close to those areas.
AgAttack
AG
Email me, happy to help! Jack@takecommandhealth.com

Never buy stand alone dental: http://blog.takecommandhealth.com/save-money-dental-plan-dental-insurance/
Hood
AG
United Concordia sucks.

They're the dental insurance equivalent to that insurance company Matt Damon bankrupts in 'The Rainmaker'.
AggieMavsfan
AG
Stive said:

Not much help on the plans, but my mother has worked for a dentist for almost 40 years and says that dental insurance is one of the bigger wastes a family can buy. She acknowledges that there are certain scenarios where you'll come ahead financially but in most cases it's a waste of money.

I helped my mom sign up for dental insurance recently, and this was basically the conclusion that I came to. It wasn't like health insurance where negotiated pricing and catastrophic outcomes made it a must have. With the individual market plans, you're just basically pre-paying some of your dental costs (and then some) in the form of premiums. And they all had waiting periods on more advanced services, so there wasn't much opportunity to sort of time things the way you can with the group plans.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.