Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dog needs a good home - North Dallas area

2,371 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dcAg
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My friend's wife is going to take their dog back to the shelter because he digs in the yard and they are about to move to a new home. His name is Rocky and he is about 70 pounds. He's a Husky/German Shepherd mix that does well with cats & dogs. Their kids are crushed. I'm pissed at him for letting her make this decision on her own. PM me or leave an email address if you or anyone you know may be able to help. I'd be willing to drive him anywhere in the Metroplex pretty much. And if you happen to know anyone in Austin I'll be heading that way the first weekend of next month as well. Thanks!

powerbelly
AG
What a ****.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's ridiculous. I hope the dog finds a good home.
Texas Ag Mom
Well if worst comes to worst I know of a German Shepard rescue group. 3 years ago I worked w/them to find a home for my terminally ill uncle's dog. They were great to work with under the circumstances.
The Collective
AG
Hope the kids don't dig in the yard...
permabull
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
He just texted me. They decided to keep the dog after all. I have a feeeling the pressure from the kids finally saved the day.
permabull
AG
Aries
I found where my dog had dug a whole about 2 foot deep behind our shed. Don't know own if he was trying to get something or just bored (even tho he has an acre + just to himself). I get him out once a day from 20 minutes to an hour with the kids. He gets to run, chase sticks, balls, & other toys & just roam. I haven't found him digging since.

I would never dump a dog because they dig. The Ding dong & my toddler are buddies.

& cuddling with a cabbage patch doll.
PlanoAg98
AG
My dog doesn't like to play in the backyard by himself. He doesn't fetch... but he has lots of energy. Therefore, I put 6 of these bird feeders up on the back fence with them hanging from a 10 inch plant hanger/arm so it sits off the fence some. I have an 8 foot privacy fences so these these hang down to the 7 foot level. I fill them with black oil sunflower seeds which squirrels seem to love. The squirrels will hang upside down from the fence as they try to get the seeds out. My dog sees this and darts toward the squirrel. Usually by the time he chases that one off, another squirrel is on another feeder. He can do this for hours. I just sit outside in the gazebo and watch the news each day after work as he wears himself out.

I Rule
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

My dog doesn't like to play in the backyard by himself. He doesn't fetch... but he has lots of energy. Therefore, I put 6 of these bird feeders up on the back fence with them hanging from a 10 inch plant hanger/arm so it sits off the fence some. I have an 8 foot privacy fences so these these hang down to the 7 foot level. I fill them with black oil sunflower seeds which squirrels seem to love. The squirrels will hang upside down from the fence as they try to get the seeds out. My dog sees this and darts toward the squirrel. Usually by the time he chases that one off, another squirrel is on another feeder. He can do this for hours. I just sit outside in the gazebo and watch the news each day after work as he wears himself out.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
permabull
AG
PatAg
AG
hypeiv said:

One of my dogs has a drive to dig and bury her toys so in her create I have 4 or 5 old towels on top her pillow and she burrows in them and always puts her chew toys under them when she isn't using them.
My dog does this as well, instinct to burrow and rut I guess. A friend of mine basically built a sandbox for his dog to dig in and not cause problems in the backyard.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Quote:

PlanoAg98 said:

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. I rule!!!
Aries
I want to do this. He hasn't gone after squirrels yet but a skunk came up to our porch the other day & he went crazy. He did catch a field mouse one day.

I let him out one night & didn't notice there was deer just on the other side of our pool. I could only stand there & say "oh no. Oh no. Oh no," as he took off after them.

Yesterday afternoon had some deer in our front yard eating out of the bird feeder. He saw them & begged to go outside...I almost let him out to see what he would do.
Post removed:
by user
RiskManager93
AG
Had to put our Husky down in November after 15 fantastic years.

He only dug for about the first fourteen.

Digging is what they do.
permabull
AG
Texker
AG
Dogs dig. You can teach a dog to dig in a designated area.
Aries
Our dog stayed with my in-laws this weekend....he went crazy yesterday & dug a hole about 18 inches deep. He wasn't bored (had 2 acres to run around in) but was probably trying to get to a critter.
permabull
AG
dcAg
Your wife's friend needs to be taken to a shelter. And not a Safe Harbor shelter!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.