Metroplex
Sponsored by

Fruit Trees

2,241 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggie_95
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been seeing them at Home Depot lately so I assume this is the season to plant. Anyone have any luck with fruit trees in DFW? I have a ton of squirrels in my backyard so it would have to be something they don't like to eat up. TIA
GarlandAg2012
AG
My brother has a lemon and a pear tree in Ft Worth/Arlington area. I think the lemon tree does really well, not sure if the pear is old enough to bear fruit yet.

They were having issues with critters but I think they put a squirrel cage thing on and it helped some.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Hey that's insensitive....they are LGBTQ trees or gender non specific trees.. Come on man.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

My brother has a lemon and a pear tree in Ft Worth/Arlington area. I think the lemon tree does really well, not sure if the pear is old enough to bear fruit yet.

They were having issues with critters but I think they put a squirrel cage thing on and it helped some.
Had a pear tree when I lived in College Station. Squirrels loved them. They one take one bite and leave them on the ground.
Log
AG
Order from Womack Nursery.

Squirrels can be a problem, but that issue can be solved with a pellet gun.

Peaches: Ranger, Redglobe, Belle of Georgia

Plums: Methley, Spring Satin

Persimmons: some of the improved/Asian varieties do very well in Plano.

I know of several Peaches, Plums, and Persimmons around town I am always tempted to do Ninja missions on in the middle of the night in the spring (peaches/plums) and fall (persimmons) to salvage fruit (most homeowners are clueless and let the fruit go to waste). The trees are typically loaded.

Pears: can be spotty, depending on soil, due to fireblight

Apples: can be spotty, depending on soil, due to cotton root rot

With most any fruit tree, you will need to abide by a spray schedule. This will help determine that:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/

Plant some Rosborough and Kiowa blackberries while you are at it. Full sun, plenty of water.
Duncan Idaho
I have several citrus trees in pots. They do great but I do have to heat them during the winter when we get hard freezes.

I have a peach tree in the back yard. So far I have been able to get ONE peach off of it. There will be about 100 peaches on it one day, then the next day it will be stripped clean.

The Collective
AG
I was curious about the lemon tree. No way you can get a full grown lemon tree in the ground here producing fruit, right? I mean, I'd love to but assume it will not work.
PlanoAg98
AG
Any frost over 30 minutes will damage any citrus tree. That's why you see the orange fields in Florida with all the fire pits to avoid this when it gets close.
SoCalAg97
AG
CJS4715 said:

I was curious about the lemon tree. No way you can get a full grown lemon tree in the ground here producing fruit, right? I mean, I'd love to but assume it will not work.
we have two lemon trees we've had to pot. have to bring them inside with weather freezes.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Fruit trees can be a pain, especially adhering to the spay schedules. Having said that, I have over 20 mature fruit trees and I really enjoy them. As with growing almost anything, the Aggie Horticulture website has most of the information you will need.

If you want to grow some citrus fruit, the Satsuma orange is easy to grow in a half whiskey barrel. It's on the A&M Texas Superstar plants list. It can take mid 20's, but if it gets colder than the upper 20'st, I move it into the garage. I found mine at Walmart, but most garden centers will have it in April and May.
showtime
AG
Can second the potted Satsuma Frost suggestion. I also have an Improved Meyer Lemon that I keep in a barrel. Got about 10 good-sized lemons the first year it fruited. I bring them in if we're going to be below 35 overnight.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Grandparents have a Satsuma tree in their back yard (in Port Arthur) and they are so good. I fully support that fruit becoming more popular.
PlanoAg98
AG
My parents have orange trees in their back yard but of course they live south of Houston. Nothing is better than an orange right off the tree. Birds/squirrels tend to leave them alone too.
I Rule
AG
I have a peach tree that I bought from Lowe's 9 years ago in my back yard in Murphy (East of Plano). It has done quite well.
showtime
AG
Also in Murphy.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

I have a peach tree that I bought from Lowe's 9 years ago in my back yard in Murphy (East of Plano). It has done quite well.

How do you protect your peaches from the squirrels and birds?
I Rule
AG
It hasn't really been an issue to date. I do have four (4) dogs so maybe that keeps the critters at bay. Regardless, we do have some loss every year. The bigger issue lately has been the lack of cold days in the winter.
Aggie_95
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.