Metroplex
Sponsored by

Good church for singles in Dallas.

9,423 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ol Jock 99
pkc3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New to dallas and looking to meet single christian women age 34-39. My home church is Park Cities Presbyterian Church. I heard The Village and Watermark are good. Looking for more traditional church. Any thoughts?
713nervy
AG
Not a church goer, but I've heard that getting involved in the classes at Watermark are great. Smaller groups, good people, etc etc.
Ol Jock 99
AG

A) traditional non-mega churches
B) singles in their late 30s

I'm thinking that intersection area is going to be pretty darn small. Think you are going to have to pick which is more important. Best of luck.
powerbelly
AG
I think PCPC would be a good choice. Get involved with a bible study or small group.

Buford Tannen
AG
The congregation at Munger Place where I go is a mixed bag but has a large contingent of the bracket you mentioned. Give it a try?
Spaceship
AG
The Village and Watermark are both great gospel centered churches with a lot of young people. I've been going to The Village for 6 years and love it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
albatross said:

The congregation at Munger Place where I go is a mixed bag but has a large contingent of the bracket you mentioned. Give it a try?
I've heard great things about MP, but if WM or Village isn't traditional enough, doubt it will fit the bill.
powerbelly
AG
Spaceship said:

The Village and Watermark are both great gospel centered churches with a lot of young people. I've been going to The Village for 6 years and love it.
If he is looking for a more traditional church I don't think either of these will be good for him.
hatchback
AG
I'm a member at HP United Methodist and in a young adults Sunday school class. The church has a nice mix of traditional worship services and more contemporary worship services. If you'd like, you're more than welcome to come visit with me one weekend.

Email: nj (dot) thorn at gmail
PrincessButtercup
AG
Spaceship said:

This. I went to Watermark for a while and liked it, but now I'm at the Village. I'm starting a home group next week, and the services are great. Matt Chandler is solid.
Mozart Paintings
AG
I feel guilty when I lust after women at church, but then I think hey.... god made them this hot.
GigEmAgs14
AG
I drove bus said:

I feel guilty when I lust after women at church, but then I think hey.... god made them this hot.
this man gets it
Ol Jock 99
AG
nm
hijakeroo123
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Spaceship said:

This. I went to Watermark for a while and liked it, but now I'm at the Village. I'm starting a home group next week, and the services are great. Matt Chandler is solid.
I would third the recommendation for the Village! I have been involved there for over a year now and it is an incredible church (solid teaching, excellent leadership and a vibrant community which truly seeks to follow after Christ and serve in response to this call). I have also heard great things about Watermark, Northwest Bible, Antioch and Grace Bible from friends who are involved at each these churches. I am thankful that we have so many strong, Biblically-focused churches serving and ministering here in Dallas.
powerbelly
AG
I had a very odd experience the first time I visited the Village and will never return. The head pastor may be good, but the associate pastor the day we visited was atrocious.
Spaceship
AG
This seems inconsistent to what I've seen every Sunday for the past 6 years. Hopefully it was an anolomy for you. What happened?
powerbelly
AG
Before communtion the pastor told the people not on a good place with God to get out and leave. I have never seen anything like it, but the regulars we were with thought nothing of it.
YouBet
AG
We are/were members of Munger Place and enjoyed it but it will be a mixed bag like someone else said. It's way down in East Dallas as well so not sure if it makes sense logistically for you. We don't go anymore because we moved north.

I have stories about Watermark that scare me the hell away from that place. It involves people close to me, so I don't care to share in order to protect the innocent.
Log
AG
Check out The Porch on Tuesday nights at Watermark. I'd say close to half of the people there aren't even WM members; lots of folks from other churches around town that meet up there on Tuesdays. All in the mid-20's through late 30's.
Spaceship
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Before communtion the pastor told the people not on a good place with God to get out and leave. I have never seen anything like it, but the regulars we were with thought nothing of it.

I think that's a bit exaggerated. What they do say though, is that anyone who isn't a Christian shouldn't participate in communion out of respect for what it means to Christians. Nobody is told to get up and leave though.
powerbelly
AG
Spaceship said:

powerbelly51 said:

I think that's a bit exaggerated. What they do say though, is that anyone who isn't a Christian shouldn't participate in communion out of respect for what it means to Christians. Nobody is told to get up and leave though.
No. those were his words. That is why I was shocked.
Spaceship
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Spaceship said:

powerbelly51 said:

No. those were his words. That is why I was shocked.

Then it was a highly unusual anomaly you experienced. I've been going for 6 years nearly every Sunday, so probably roughly 300 services, and I've never heard them say that. It's definitely not their "stance" on the subject.
lawless89
They say something along the lines of..."if you are running from God, we ask that you not partake in communion until you turn back to Him..." They definitely do not tell you to get up and leave. They say it every Sunday and people are people and can understandably jumble up their words on accident...especially if they are not the primary teacher and not used to doing all of that.

I'd encourage you to try again or always commit to going to at least three services of a new church because sometimes things happen that shouldn't.
PrincessButtercup
AG
lawless89 said:

They say something along the lines of..."if you are running from God, we ask that you not partake in communion until you turn back to Him..." They definitely do not tell you to get up and leave. They say it every Sunday and people are people and can understandably jumble up their words on accident...especially if they are not the primary teacher and not used to doing all of that.

I'd encourage you to try again or always commit to going to at least three services of a new church because sometimes things happen that shouldn't.
This is what I've experienced. Which is Biblical. It was definitely an anomaly if that was said because, like the others have remarked, that is not the Village's stance on communion.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

."if you are running from God, we ask that you not partake in communion until you turn back to Him..."
He said that, which I am familiar with and have heard before, followed by the get up and leave comment.

Like I said, it was strange and probably a mistake, but none of the regulars around me thought anything of it. I am sure the Village is a good church.
PrincessButtercup
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Quote:

."if you are running from God, we ask that you not partake in communion until you turn back to Him..."
He said that, which I am familiar with and have heard before, followed by the get up and leave comment.

Like I said, it was strange and probably a mistake, but none of the regulars around me thought anything of it. I am sure the Village is a good church.
Maybe a demonic spirit overtook him for a moment.
powerbelly
AG
I guess.

I am used to a more scripted service anyway so the Villiage most likely wouldn't have been where I landed.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Well, good luck in your quest.
dcAg
So you are willing to change to a non-denominational church from where you are so you can find a chick?

Interesting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What's wrong with that?
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

What's wrong with that?
LoveAussie
AG
I'm just curious, I thought everyone is welcomed in Sunday service even they're not Christians yet, except some special services like the Eucharist, but it seems not the case according to the post above...
PrincessButtercup
AG
I was at the village today and they did communion. They asked non Christians to refrain from taking the Lords Supper but certainly never suggested they weren't welcomed. Rather, the opposite. The speaker explained why it's a holy practice for believers and what it means, and that it doesn't make sense for a non believer to participate but that they were still at that place for a reason this morning.
Spaceship
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

I was at the village today and they did communion. They asked non Christians to refrain from taking the Lords Supper but certainly never suggested they weren't welcomed. Rather, the opposite. The speaker explained why it's a holy practice for believers and what it means, and that it doesn't make sense for a non believer to participate but that they were still at that place for a reason this morning.

Yep, this is how it is every week.
LoveAussie
AG
Thanks for the clarifications. I accidentally ran into a communion when I was in New Orleans with my friends, when we realized it was a special service only for Christians it was already too late and we felt it was very rude to leave in the middle, no need to speak more that day was very awkward for us, I felt really embarrassed when the pastor told me I need to consume the bread now...

For regular worship & pray services, I checked with all the churches before I attend the Sunday services, believers & non-believers & people with doubts are all welcome to join. The process is fairly simple even the first-time new comers will not feel awkward, even though I have to learn many new songs...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.