Metroplex
Sponsored by

another station lost - KVIL - radio sucks

3,901 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bert harbinson
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Well it's not going away but they announced going to a Pop music format - good lord how many of those do we need? Seriously young people don't listen to the radio.

UGH.

KVIL was far from my favorite but was in the rotation of channels to switch to thru looking for soemthing on - because it wasn't contemporary pop crap. It was a least some mix of older classic material (not classic rock, but kind of a best of oldies).

This combined with the demise of The Edge just 2 months ago....and the replacement for the Edge called STAR 102.1 is HORRIBLE. I took it off my preset channels. It calls itself adult contemporary but it's god-awful.

I started throwing 91.7 KXT into my rotation - it's an NPR alll-music channel playing adult album oriented - plays some really out there eclectic stuff. It' hit and miss but at least it is not just formulaic pop crap.

Radio in Dallas is now officially crap - 92.5 if you want classic rock, 97.1 is tolerable but not great, occasionally Jack FM 100.3 plays decent stuff......thats about it.

MIX 102.9 sucks
KISS FM 106.1 sucks
STAR 102.1 sucks
KLUV 98.7 - meh
The AMP 103.7 (this replacement for KVIL) will suck

Law Hall 69-72
AG
KTCK is all you need.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Law Hall 69-72 said:

KTCK is all you need.

well yes....i liked listening to the Ticket while commuting....since i stopped and i work from home my drives are either

a. 2-5 mins long
b. with the wife or family in the car

so typically i want music and not talk, can't get anything in 2-5 minutes from the Ticket you gotta be committed to a full segment or two at least.

i don't listen to any radio at home - i have my itunes playlists then.

jtmoney03
AG
102.1 still tricks me on my presets. So my ears are expecting Edge, but end up getting garbage. Although my daughter heard Hungry Eyes for the first time as I flipped past them last night and I swear she said...what the hell is this? I can't confirm, and she won't tell me what she said, but she knows...
The Collective
AG
So, most of the complaint is losing a radio station for 2-5 minutes per day?
DadAG10
Zombie Jon Snow said:

i don't listen to any radio at home - i have my itunes playlists then.

And you wonder why there are no good stations.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

per day...no. i said 2-5 minutes per drive. you assume i drive once per day?

LHIOB
AG
91.7 is the shiz
The Collective
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

CJS4715 said:

per day...no. i said 2-5 minutes per drive. you assume i drive once per day?

I don't know your habits.
bert harbinson
AG
91.7 gets the majority of my non-Ticket listening time...sometimes weird, but often great. 92.5 is still ok. Jack FM has let a lot of crap filter in...for example Neil Diamond and some nonsense from Grease played recently. 102.1 has become what KVIL once was...safe for work and family old and newer top 40.
The Collective
AG
Jack FM will be awesome for about 15 - 20 minutes, and then it will suck for the next 30 minutes. It's not worth the listening effort.
walton91
I like 91.7 for the new/local stuff, but they play waaaaaay too much classic rock for me. Its my number 2 (hehe) after the Ticket, but that's not saying much as I wish I had a better option.
DannyDuberstein
AG
KVIL is turrble. Maybe this will be a positive change.
MGS
Law Hall 69-72 said:

KTCK is all you need.
Except for weekends, or weekdays after 7:00PM, or when there's a Stars game...
Quinn
AG
KVIL has been changed for months - guess it's official today. 91.7 gets my non-sports and non-podcast listening time.
752bro4
AG
MGS said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

KTCK is all you need.
Except for weekends, or weekdays after 7:00PM, or when there's a Stars game...
2nd best show on the ticket is from Sunday 8-11
Street_Cred_Norm
I'm a ticket super p1 but occasionally at night listen to 100.3 Jack fm. They play lots of 70s and 80s which are my favorite era's
jeffag02
Remember the bright yellow KVIL traffic copter from the 80s and 90s?
txwxman
LHIOB said:

91.7 is the shiz
Glad to see the 91.7 love. If there was only one radio station I could listen to, it's that one. Lots of variety. Some obscure songs from Stones, Doors, etc.. Some blues. SRV. Local bands. I don't like all the songs they play, but they never play c**p. And they're never repetitive.
Quinn
AG
I love 91.7 and they play a lot of different stuff, but they do repeat their favorites. It's usually good stuff, though. I heard that Father John Misty song on there two weeks in a row.
big ben
AG
Ticket all day until Russ Martin is on
91AggieLawyer
AG
KVIL hasn't been any good in a decade or more.

I listen to, in no particular order, 98.7, the other classic rock station (??), WRR (except when they're playing opera or city council meetings) and some talk. I didn't find much of interest on Sat. radio either.
mncag
Fm radio is all but dead. 91.7, some npr and the ticket mor me. For music it' seemss xm and some sort of Spotify or ipod in think for most people.
Texker
AG
88.5 Mesquite ISD radio. No commercials.
JuCo CH46
Sirius / XM all the way. I have not listened to fm in years.
hawk1689
AG
The Eagle plays good music in the mornings but then they stop for four hours (including afternoon drive) to let Russ Martin not be funny or insightful.
culdeus
AG
If I'm just in the car for a few minutes and the ticket is doing something boring I'll just swap to 91.7.

I would never consider listening to any FM station for more than 5 minutes at a time. If it's long term I'll swap to pandora or a podcast or something.

I'm surprised music radio can even pay their royalties anymore.
bert harbinson
AG
Texker said:

88.5 Mesquite ISD radio. No commercials.

This has been one of my pre-sets for years. They'll dredge up something fun and nostalgic every now and then, so it's worth a try, but some of their "lost hits" should stay that way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.