Metroplex
Sponsored by

Another weird crime...

2,390 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PatAg
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2017/01/16/mans-skull-fractured-masked-men-attack-target-parking-lot/

Quote:

A man walking through the Target parking lot on Haskell was brutally beaten on Saturday, leaving him with a fractured skull and a bleeding brain. The Dallas Voice reportsthat one assailant wore a monkey mask, the other wore a ski mask when they attacked Derek Whitener, an area thespian and theater director who was playing the role of Leaf Coneybear in "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" at the Firehouse Theatre, where he worked as the education director.
Aries
Very weird. They didn't take any of his belongings either according to the news this morning.
powerbelly
AG
Seems like there will be more to this story.
752bro4
AG
Tar-ghetto

I used to shop at that one a lot, but it seemed like every other time I went there I was approached by homeless/beggars, or something odd would happen inside. I witnessed DPD there busting shoplifters quite often.
aggie_wes
AG
It was either a hit (unlikely) or some people wanted to whack a random white dude.

Thanks Obama
Aries
Updated article on Fox stasted that the 2 guys were asked to leave the area by security (also off duty police man) & when asked to leave the officer saw a 3 foot wooden rod in the hand of 1 of them.

They didn't leave & attacked the guy. Not a hate crime though because they were 2 black guys beating the sh*t out of a white guy.
YouBet
AG
Gay bashing? The victim works in theater.
Aries
Thought that too but unless they knew who he was, probably wouldn't know his occupation.

These guys were out to do something bad since they had masks with them & a wooden rod.
752bro4
AG
I doubt it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the victim was a homosexual...the community isn't known for its fondness of gays.

If I had to bet, this was a gay bashing before it was race related. It likely won't be prosecuted as such, and decent chance the assailants allege the victim used racial slurs at them in the parking lot beforehand and instigated it.
Ervin Burrell
AG
752bro4 said:

I doubt it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the victim was a homosexual...the community isn't known for its fondness of gays.

If I had to bet, this was a gay bashing before it was race related. It likely won't be prosecuted as such, and decent chance the assailants allege the victim used racial slurs at them in the parking lot beforehand and instigated it.

Gay bashing makes sense but the one thing I don't get is how they knew he was gay without prior interaction with him. Perhaps talking on his cell phone with a lisp, a bumper sticker on his car, walking "flamboyantly"? Just highly doubt these pieces of garbage knew he was gay until the seconds leading up to it.

Edit-Aries already somewhat beat me to the punch.
FTAG 2000
AG
How did the security guard see the wooden rod in one guy's hand and not call it in?

752bro4
AG
Quote:

Whitener was so nervous enough about the interaction, he alerted the store's management, who sent a security guard to talk to the two men.
aggielostinETX
AG
One caught...

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/01/27/dallas-detectives-arrest-juvenile-in-connection-to-target-assault/
Ol Jock 99
AG
So senseless.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I used to work in the Cityplace building right there and there were all kinds of sketchy people hanging around that area coming up from the DART stop below the building.
PrincessButtercup
AG
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/second-suspect-in-target-attack-arrested/394911996
752bro4
AG
Sadly the juvenile will be set free with minimal time served, will receive street cred, and will likely end up behind bars again. I don't understand when they can be charged as an adult or not, but I'm hoping this one gets it.

Hopefully the one that has been identified gets serious time.

A quick google and facebook search of his name (Zantrell Sauls) only produces results for this story.
PatAg
AG
I would imagine if they don't get serious time, then the will receive some serious retribution.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.