Metroplex
Sponsored by

Hardwood Lumber in NE Dallas

905 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JuCo CH46
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this is asked a few times on here but I haven't seen it in a while and thought I'd ask - what are some good places to get wood for doing some woodworking projects? Just want to start dipping my toe into that pool some, wanted to make some cutting boards or something, so looking for some place to get some maple, walnut, etc.

I've talked to Hardwood Lumber Company and that seems like a good option, but they're also on the west side (and only open during the week it looks like).

I'm in Rockwall and would love to find a place that took me less than an hour round trip.

CjAg
AG
I don't know of any place on the east side and I live here. Central Hardwoods is pretty awesome though also near NW highway and I35.
MW03
AG
I have a friend that's big into woodworking, and he buys his mostly from Craigslist. Other than that, he has mentioned a place called HLC, but I don't know what the acronym stands for.
TecRecAg
AG
Quote:

he has mentioned a place called HLC, but I don't know what the acronym stands for.
Is this the GB?
MW03
AG
TecRecAg said:

Quote:

he has mentioned a place called HLC, but I don't know what the acronym stands for.
Is this the GB?

I don't know what that means, but I sent him a text and it stands for the Hardwood Lumber Center of Dallas.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Thanks MW - he's probably talking about Hardware Lumber Company (I don't think there is a Hardware Lumber Center) which is who I emailed with yesterday. I think they're looking like a strong option.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
When my redwood deck needed some boards replaced, I was able to find redwood at Ivey Lumber on Plano Road. They are in Dallas, but very close to Garland. The phone number is 214-341-6570. They might be able to give you some information even if they don't have what you are looking for.
rllguitar
AG
If you need lumber for a small project, Wood World, Woodcraft, Rockler (maybe even HD or Lowes) might be ok. Their stock is usually a bit more expensive, but, the stores are convenient for me and worth the premium.

If building a larger piece, or looking for a specific variety of wood, Central Hardwoods or one of the other larger guys is probably your best bet.
JuCo CH46
I go to hardwood lumber company and pull from their scrap (drop) pile. For the small turning projects and other smalI DIY jobs it's great. Plus I have gotten some great wood for cheap if you happen to be there at the right time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.