Metroplex
Sponsored by

freeze-mageddon 2016

7,932 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
JasonD2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like there's been a run on foam spigot covers in Frisco. Can't find anything. I could really use a couple. Also noticed an empty shelf where vienna sausages used to be.

Any other reports of shortages, runs and riots?
coppag92
AG
JasonD2005 said:

Any other reports of shortages, runs and riots?
Well, I had the runs last night from eating all those Vienna sausages, but other than that, not really.
harge57
AG
Sarcasm right?
YouBet
AG
Was forced to increase heat from 68 to 70. Good luck out there guys.
JasonD2005
AG
They got in some spigot covers at HD late this afternoon. I bought two, and then....

I RAN OUT THE "IN" DOOR

I thought the greeter lady was going to run me down. But she just stood there.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Seriously. Is this still a thing?

I mean I haven't bought those things in 15 years. I guess if you have an older house right. Houses built in the last 20 years should not need them. Most are built with internal shutoff valves.

I've also never been stranded for more than like a day or day and half. I generally have that much food and water. I've never run out to stock up before a freeze.
culdeus
AG
Yeah, I mean what is a little foam insulation cap gonna really do? It just seems like it's a way for home depot to scam dumb Texans out of 20 bucks a year or so.

Has anyone ever, ever, heard of a outdoor faucet exploding? I'm dubious.
Absolute
AG
Cannot say whether the little covers help much or not. Might help with our mild freezes. The only time I know I had them freeze was in 2011 during the Super Bowl freeze week. I also had my interior lines to the upstairs freeze. Luckily nothing leaked when they thawed out that weekend.

Can definitely say that I see broken /leaking frost proof (newer) faucets all the time after colder winters during Inspections. Biggest problem is that people leave hoses attached which tends to trap water In the valve body. It freezes, expands and splits a seam to leak.

If nothing else, putting the little covers on makes people unhook the hose.
coppag92
AG
harge57 said:

Sarcasm right?
Yes, but legit question.........
The Collective
AG
I put the outdoor faucet covers on as well. I'm not sure they are necessary nor am I sure that they even are that effective. It didn't get cold enough last night anyway - not a hard freeze.
JasonD2005
AG
CJS4715 said:

I put the outdoor faucet covers on as well. I'm not sure they are necessary nor am I sure that they even are that effective. It didn't get cold enough last night anyway - not a hard freeze.
They don't do ***** Our lease requires them.
PlanoAg98
AG
The foam spigot covers prevent the wind chill factor. Your pipes aren't going to freeze at 32 F. Now if it's 32 F and a 15 mph wind, that will chill the pipes down in the 20s where they will freeze.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

The foam spigot covers prevent the wind chill factor. Your pipes aren't going to freeze at 32 F. Now if it's 32 F and a 15 mph wind, that will chill the pipes down in the 20s where they will freeze.

Not if they have inside shutoff valves....am I wrong?

I mean a long persistent drawn out deep freeze might still get them???....but we don't tend to have that.

I'm not ridiculing you or anyone that does it - I'm honestly just thinking it's not needed and a bit of a panic based racket.

I mean I haven't done it in 15 years and we've had some pretty bad freezes with wind chill...some of my faucets were exposed too on the north side with nothing blocking the wind.

probably jinxing myself here - i'm just skeptical.

riverrataggie
AG
Got down to 35 degrees last night. Hope my huge oak trees lived. News is telling me that the amount of snow we got should crush my roof.
Absolute
AG
Ultimately, I would go by the theory that they DON'T hurt. I bought the "nicer" plastic enclosed kind 5 years ago and reuse every year. The net cost is minimal. Why not use it?
Matsui
AG
Wait... did someone reference wind chill? So those pipes can feel wind chill? Lol
The Collective
AG
Wind chill can speed up the freezing process if I'm not mistaken. Obviously, the item will still only cool to actual air temp.
CampingAg
AG
Welp. Winters over. Going to take the plants back outside. That was quick.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AllThings12thMan said:

Welp. Winters over. Going to take the plants back outside. That was quick.
lol. i love texas.
culdeus
AG
The "take the hose off" theory seems plausible.
The Collective
AG
50s all week for the high, 70 Friday, 30s Sunday.
JasonD2005
AG
I went out and bought a fire pit around the end of October. Anyone want to guess how many times we used it? First it was too hot to have a fire. Then it was too cold to go outside. Happy medium this week?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
JasonD2005 said:

I went out and bought a fire pit around the end of October. Anyone want to guess how many times we used it? First it was too hot to have a fire. Then it was too cold to go outside. Happy medium this week?

yeah i've used my about 5 times in 3 years.

mostly we use it as a social thing when we have a gathering of guests.
coppag92
AG
Uncle got a firepit for his birthday last month. Grandkids came down and they all sat around it and made smores at Thanksgiving. Looked fun but I was not invited. So it doesn't always have to be cold to use.
aggielostinETX
AG
coppag92 said:

Uncle got a firepit for his birthday last month. Grandkids came down and they all sat around it and made smores at Thanksgiving. Looked fun but I was not invited. So it doesn't always have to be cold to use.
That sounds pretty.... cold.
Duncan Idaho
Golf clap
FincAg
AG
I'm chopping down some trees in the back yard Saturday, looks like I'll get to light a fire starting around 4pm.
aggielostinETX
AG
Delkus just said snow on Saturday night...
FincAg
AG
For the Red River right? They throw that term out there knowing somewhere within 200 miles of DFW it will snow. I mean, Witchita Falls and Childress probably get WFAA.
aggielostinETX
AG
FincAg said:

For the Red River right? They throw that term out there knowing somewhere within 200 miles of DFW it will snow. I mean, Witchita Falls and Childress probably get WFAA.
Saying dusting in Dallas now
FincAg
AG
Lord help us all. Glad you shop with Amazon Fresh because no doubt that Kroger won't have a milk jug, loaf a bread, or can of tuna left on the shelf by this evening.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FincAg said:

Lord help us all. Glad you shop with Amazon Fresh because no doubt that Kroger won't have a milk jug, loaf a bread, or can of tuna left on the shelf by this evening.

lol.....pretty sure i can survive another "Texas super freeze" (sarcasm) with whatever is in my pantry for the 36-48 hours before

a. everything melts and all the idiots are either crashed, slid off the road or otherwise incapacitated

or

b. nothing happens and they are wrong again

FincAg
AG
Sort of the joke there Snow. Folks will be freaking out but all is well, and Thai Opal will probably still deliver.
The Collective
AG
Deats said:

Delkus just said snow on Saturday night...

Ratings.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FincAg said:

Sort of the joke there Snow. Folks will be freaking out but all is well, and Thai Opal will probably still deliver.

I know but you are right about Kroger they will make a run on it. Especially mine in LH cuz it's the only grocery for miles and because it's 90% populated by blue hairs that can't drive but also watch the local news and buy into that crap. Panic time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.