Metroplex
Sponsored by

New School in Lake Highlands!?

2,146 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ol Jock 99
Polish1979
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man I can only imagine the stuff going down in my old hood.

I definitely disagree that there is enough room for an elementary school at that site. I do think it could be a wonderful school if the attendance zone map is drawn correctly. but whoa...look out people will be freaking out.

http://educationblog.dallasnews.com/2016/06/richardson-isd-opts-for-new-k-6-campus-and-split-of-white-rock-elementary-to-ease-overcrowding-in-lake-highlands.html/?_ga=1.167840741.57446257.1456780452
aggielostinETX
AG
Only one group of people is freaking out...
Buford Tannen
AG
WRE folks, you mad?
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
WRE folks, you mad?
harge57
AG
Will likely cause a redraw of multiple boundaries. Will be interesting to watch. If they stick the apartments on walnut hill and audelia into just one of the wre schools then half that neighborhood will lose significant property value.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
Will likely cause a redraw of multiple boundaries. Will be interesting to watch. If they stick the apartments on walnut hill and audelia into just one of the wre schools then half that neighborhood will lose significant property value.

No they won't
JBLHAG03
AG
My bet is WRE houses west of White Rock Trail and north of Walnut Hill go to the new school along with sections of houses/apartments zoned to Northlake. There is mention of making Northlake a Magnet school, so all of Lake Highlands North and Royal Highlands could get rezoned to new school.

Right now they have almost two completely segregated schools between WRE and Northlake 1 mile apart, and I imagine the State is interested in such statistics. Not sure how they will get diversity into WRE without getting crazy with the new lines and also considering a lot of those kids walk to school alone.

I dont think Wallace or LHE will be affected much, or the western elementary schools because then they would have to redraw junior high boundaries too, but we shall see.
Polish1979
AG
Usually magnet schools still accept kids within boundaries as the purpose is to get more of the lower socioeconomic classes into the magnet programs. For instance there are programs at the high schools that kids attend from other parts of the district but each HS still has kids from the neighborhood. However, I'm not sure what RISD policy is with regards to magnet programs so I'd be guessing.

I do think that the west side of the White Rock North neighborhood would go with the new school..as would part of WR Valley which would be directly next to the school. It would most likely also include the apartments in and just south of the towncenter. depending on the numbers of students they want and what that area contains... this school would be almost identical to WRE.

As for whether the apts north of Walnut Hill on Skillman are included, or the ones north of Walnut Hill on Audelia (which I think is less likely), it could radically change the ratings,testing scores etc of the new school and cause the homeowners in WRN and WRV some consternation.

but with all of these kids and schools...how bad will the overcrowding be in 5 years when they are all in junior high and highschool? I doubt LHHS can get any bigger right?!
Ol Jock 99
AG
http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2017/02/risd-opts-add-white-rock-elementary/

Update time....big renovation/new builds at start at WRE immediately.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.