Metroplex
Sponsored by

Lake Highlands: Finally Some Progress at Skillman/Abrams

10,119 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Oruc Reis
J.P. 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Three years after Tom Thumb closed, we are finally seeing some movement:

quote:
"Our plan is to sign the anchor tenant first," says RPI owner Jeff Olyan, "and we're pretty close with somebody now." Several stores have expressed interest, he says, and once the Tom Thumb space is signed, the other dominos will fall.

"This will be a major game changer for that intersection," says Mark Hajdu, owner of the property's new leasing company, Triumph. "I live in Merriman Park Estates, so I have a very vested interest. We've got some exciting changes coming."

"Three significant restaurants are ready to sign when the anchor tenant closes," says Hajdu, a restauranteur himself (Hajdu owns Lakewood's 1st and Ten). One is a breakfast, one is seafood, and one I would describe as Asian fusion. It's not done 'til it's done, but we've met with our City Councilman, it's already zoned and it has enough parking, so we are ready to go."

I don't have my hopes up for the anchor tenant, but at least the chance for new restaurants sounds promising...especially a breakfast place. I've been going through withdrawals ever since Crossroads left.

Anybody have any additional details about this?

http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2016/04/new-owners-making-plans-skillman-abrams-shopping-center/
CjAg
AG
Crossroads

RIP
Oruc Reis
AG
That'd be awesome!
East Dallas Ag
AG
Barbec's is the rumor
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
Crossroads

RIP

Not dead, just not close to the old location. Campbell and Preston.
Oruc Reis
AG
Oh hell ya
aggielostinETX
AG
We are about to have anew burger joint, Shady's.

New Atomic Pie with with full bar.

I want someone to put in a Katy Trail type IceHouse that connects in this shopping center and is family friendly.

Something like the Lot would kill over here.
aggielostinETX
AG
still cash only?
CjAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Crossroads

RIP

I am not going north of 635 to eat.
East Dallas Ag
AG
No idea, I've only been there once, didn't do anything for me. I'm also going to need them to sell booze if they want me business.

"I want someone to put in a Katy Trail type IceHouse that connects in this shopping center and is family friendly.

Something like the Lot would kill over here."

We have this conversation every week. We = me and wife, neighbors, LH friends, random strangers at Target...it's amazing this hasn't happened yet.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Crossroads

RIP

I am not going north of 635 to do anything that doesn't pay me.
FIFY
Oruc Reis
AG
This needs to happen at LH Town Center
East Dallas Ag
AG
I've now heard from 2 different sources, a certain beverage-focused movie theater chain currently expanding into the Metroplex is rumored to be coming into the old Tom Thumb space.
aggielostinETX
AG
They should run a shuttle from C&D!!!
East Dallas Ag
AG
http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2016/06/alamo-drafthouse-leasing-tom-thumb-space-skillman-abrams/

Lots of smoke
J.P. 03
AG
That would be so awesome. I really hope it comes true.

By the way, with every announcement (or rumor) like this, I feel like whoever is in charge of the Town Center looks dumber and dumber.

Remember when a movie theater wouldn't work in the TC even though it was part of the original vision that was sold to the community? No big deal, apparently one of the hottest cinema concepts around will work just fine a little further south on Skillman. It will be even more hilarious if any restaurants follow suit.

Speaking of, remember when they couldn't get any restaurants to sign on to the TC because there was no lunch traffic, we were told? No problem, we'll put them at Walnut Hill and Audelia, even further away from the offices along 75 and from the Presbyterian hospital complex, and somehow they'll magically work just fine. Almost as if the people who have been screaming for years that they'd patronize any additional options besides Mi Cocina really weren't kidding.

Here's hoping that Sprouts, which is a great addition in and of itself, begets even more positive momentum for that development.
double aught
AG
It's pretty impressive how crappy the entertainment/service industry options in Lake Higlands are and have been for years.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Fwiw, there's a ton of restaurants interested in the town center
NATE AG03
AG
Great news. You able to share any of those names?!?
jagged
AG
quote:
We are about to have anew burger joint, Shady's.

New Atomic Pie with with full bar.

I want someone to put in a Katy Trail type IceHouse that connects in this shopping center and is family friendly.

Something like the Lot would kill over here.

I'm excited about all those options and agree a Katy trail place would be good. Lakewood and Oak Highlands breweries have been pretty good options for us. Resident taqueria and one90 have been solid additions for food.

It boggles my mind how slow the reno on Atomic pie has been. Not sure how you can take an operating business off line for so long. I think he had a lot of issues with the city.

Lake Highlands Creamery and Shady's haven't been exactly screaming along either, and aren't open in time for the start of summer. looks like Shady's will have a decent patio, but faces west so not sure that's ideal. That whole shopping center and parking lot could really use a facelift.

Good to see that the town center is finally getting some traction and seems to be moving pretty quick, although it took an eternity to get there and now they probably have to pay sky high construction costs.

It will be good to have sprouts as an option, we've been trekking to trader joes. Kroger and sunfresh are pretty abysmal options. The more I go to trader joe's and other places the more i think that when I actually go to Kroger.

It will be great to have more local options. Some days I would settle for a Starbucks and/or chipotle since the walnut hill/ferndale area has to be one of the biggest dead zones per capita left in the country for both of those.

Edit: also alamo would be a great addition as well. The Richardson one is not bad to get to but having one even closer would be nice. Definitely my favorite way to take in a movie. As well as top golf has done nearby it seems like it would be successful.
aggielostinETX
AG
If they fix the trails, I could walk to Alamo in ~20 minutes from the other end of LH, would be awesome...

The City is to blame on Shady's, Atomic Pie and Creamery delays. McGoo supposedly helped push stuff along once he was made aware.
PJD Ag 10
AG
quote:
Great news. You able to share any of those names?!?

Not confirmed at all but I've been told Chipotle and Asian Mint are both very interested.
aggielostinETX
AG
Alamo is official...

http://lakehighlands.advocatemag.com/2016/07/happening-alamo-drafthouse-coming-lake-highlands/

"I'm so excited," continues Hajdu, a Merriman Park Estates resident who thereby has a "vested interest" in the property, he says. "We're talking to a million different tenants from Rudy's to El Fenix to a pizza concept to an Asian fusion concept. We have more interest than we have space."

East Dallas Ag
AG
*HIGH FIVE*

This is really going to tie the room (neighborhood) together.
aggielostinETX
AG
Now we just need food... How about whiskey cake take over Sigels/Bar old location?
J.P. 03
AG
quote:
Now we just need food... How about whiskey cake take over Sigels/Bar old location?

What are you talking about?!?!? We don't need food. You will eat your Mi Cocina and your Picasso's and YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!
J.P. 03
AG
Wow, I've really grown bitter over the years.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:

I refuse to go to Picassos until they get valet.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I like Mi Cocina.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
I like Mi Cocina.
we go at least once a week.
J.P. 03
AG
I think we all do. Which is why we are so excited about getting a few additional options.
progress
AG
Whiskey Cake? pass.

Leave it in Plano
Buford Tannen
AG
East Dallas Ag
AG

All About LH Draft House

More about Alamo. I would expect they have some pretty stringent limitations about what other tenants can come to the center that could possibly compete for their business. So another bar is unlikely, who knows if a restaurant with a drinking focus will fly. I have sent people touring the Segels/Liquid Zoo space recently.
Oruc Reis
AG
quote:
quote:

I refuse to go to Picassos until they get valet.

I refuse because it's not that great anymore... Especially dine in.

Any rumors on additional town center tenants?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.