Metroplex
Sponsored by

Custom Home Builders - E. Dallas

9,584 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Boat Shoes
drewser95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have any direct experience with this guy, but he seems to be fairly active in East Dallas based on his other projects. Seems to do a range of styles, from Craftsman/Prairie to Tudor to more contemporary. He has a couple of traditional (Georgian) spec homes going up at Vanderbilt & Skillman, but they're not yet on his website.

Jeff Baron Homes

Might be worth adding to your list of ones to look into.
Kjodie
Oldag93, PM me and I'll tell you all about NeeLeaf
OldAg93
AG
Thanks, guys. Had a couple of meetings this week with 2 other builders. I think that brings us to somewhere around 12 who we've met with so far. It's getting to the point that I'm losing track over who built which homes and what specifically we liked or didn't like about any given builder.

One who we really liked is Ogden Custom Homes - http://www.ogdencustomhomes.com/

They've built several homes in the neighborhood and feel almost like the Preston Hollow equivalent of Mark Dann - only takes on a handful of jobs at a time, focused on one area, personally spends all day on job sites, etc.

The biggest area I'm struggling with is engaging with a builder who understands that we don't need a 5,000 sf house and is willing to build something that "small". 3200-3500 is what we're thinking, and even that's a little bigger than we need. We're thinking maybe we'd design something closer to 3800-4000 and only finish out 3200, then we could go back in 10-15 years when we're ready to sell and finish out the rest.
hatchback
AG
While I know that builders can provide you design services and have some typical home layouts, have you considered working with an architect for a truly custom designed home?

I'm an architect at a residential firm by White Rock Lake and would love to have the opportunity to earn your business. We have completed projects all over the metroplex and several in the Preston Hollow area. We also have a list of preferred contractors that we work with and could recommend. Just let me know!
FincAg
AG
What does a custom home like http://jeffbaronhomes.com/completed-projects/5342-willis/, well without those awful cabinets, cost to build? $200 sq/ft?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Who buys the dirt? Our build is around $140 sq/ft, but we had to buy the dirt separately.
FincAg
AG
Oh just wondering. My wife has it in her head we are going to tear down our L street home and put up a 2 story craftsman in 10 years. Granted 1/3 acre on a corner feels like a lot of space to work with. Just thinking about letting her know how expensive it might be so she can get it off her mind at the moment.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Owning the dirt helps. If she wants to see a craftsman "inspired" house, drive up Ferndale north of Church.
FincAg
AG
Was that $140 sq/ft living space or footprint (under the roof)?
OldAg93
AG
That's the other thing that kills me. Everyone quotes an avg price per sf, but we all know that not all sf are created equal. And some builders quote price per AC sf versus others quote price per covered sf. The builders I've talked with have been anywhere from $150 to $225 per AC sf for the lot I own.
FincAg
AG
Well I will tell her to start saving and cut back on the White Rock Coffee then.

Many thanks
Midget Town USA
Wow, just checking in, this thing got long. OladAg92, did you ever decide on who to use? Anyone else care to relate any more info/suggestions?
Gil Renard
AG
Jeff Baron is a good Ag
Midget Town USA
ttt
Boat Shoes
AG
Great thread here. Bumping to the top as my wife and I are considering a custom build in East Dallas. We currently live in Hillside in a 3 bedroom but for family planning purposes, may want more space. Will likely try to source the lot ourselves in either the Lakewood or Mockingbird Elementary school zones. Thinking 3,500 sq ft. Any updates on builders to consider or avoid? Any current estimates on what we could expect on a per sq ft basis assuming we own the dirt?

Thanks all!
BoomGoesThe
I think the cheapest lots for tear downs in the Lakewood Elementary area is my neighborhood, Lakewood Hills (unless there's something in the few streets north of Mockingbird that feed into LE). My neighbor three houses down just sold her .17 acre lot for over 400k. It's nuts what houses/lots are selling for.

I was driving through Little Forest Hills and the surrounding streets last week and they have a lot of new houses going up, and the area is a lot less "funky" than it was 10 or 11 years ago. I also love the big lot sizes in Casa Linda and a little east of there. I don't know anything about the schools they're zoned for.

Also, there's a house that's only a 4 or 5 years old for sale across the street, but it's around 4,500 sq ft I think.
Boat Shoes
AG
BoomGoesThe said:

I think the cheapest lots for tear downs in the Lakewood Elementary area is my neighborhood, Lakewood Hills (unless there's something in the few streets north of Mockingbird that feed into LE). My neighbor three houses down just sold her .17 acre lot for over 400k. It's nuts what houses/lots are selling for.

I was driving through Little Forest Hills and the surrounding streets last week and they have a lot of new houses going up, and the area is a lot less "funky" than it was 10 or 11 years ago. I also love the big lot sizes in Casa Linda and a little east of there. I don't know anything about the schools they're zoned for.

Also, there's a house that's only a 4 or 5 years old for sale across the street, but it's around 4,500 sq ft I think.

Out of curiosity, do you know if she listed it through MLS through a realtor or was she contacted directly by a builder? I'm assuming builders target owners of "tear downs" directly and most of those never make it to the public. Wondering what the best approach is to snatch one before one of those guys get their hands on it is.
BoomGoesThe
It was listed on MLS. It was a nice, well maintained home that she thought someone would move into. It was sold to a family that lives in the neighborhood who decided they want to build a home and sell it; or so I was told.
Boat Shoes
AG
BoomGoesThe said:

It was listed on MLS. It was a nice, well maintained home that she thought someone would move into. It was sold to a family that lives in the neighborhood who decided they want to build a home and sell it; or so I was told.

Ideally I'd find something I could rent to a family for a few years until I was ready to build. Sounds like this could have been one of those situations.
hatchback
AG
If you're thinking about an architect, let me know. I work for a small residential firm. Our office is on the east side of White Rock Lake and I live in the Hollywood Heights neighborhood. We work with a few builders and contractors here in Dallas.
Bobby Light
Hatchback - Best way to get in touch with you? We're looking to get designs on a renovation/second story addition.
Boat Shoes
AG
Hatchback, we're starting to crank up the search a notch. Please shoot me your contact info in a PM. Thanks!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.