Metroplex
Sponsored by

Say it Aint So! Double Dave's closing some stores?

9,311 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag CPA
putu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like the Euless location for sure...but maybe some others as well.

Sad day in Metroplex history...was looking forward to some 1/2 price rolls tonight.

Chewy
AG
Does this call for a "Save the Dave" campaign???
Pro Ag
AG
Damn, that sucks about the Euless location since it was the closest for me.
drewser95
AG
Never understood why so few of those could make it in DFW. There was one at Lovers & Greenville in the late 90s where Freebirds is now. Used to be one in Addison, far east Plano, Terrell -- all closed. Last one I ran across was on S. Cooper in Arlington.

Ticks me off that there is a DD closer to my parents in Tyler than to me.
BoomGoesThe
The two off of 360 in Grand Prairie/Arlington also closed at the end of '13 and there was one off of 75 in Allen that was only open for a short time (4 or 5 years ago).
DannyDuberstein
AG
I live in Plano, and at one point, there were locations in Addison, Allen, and two in Frisco all within reasonable distance. They are all now gone, and Denton is the closest remaining DD. Which basically means there is no DD for us. Looks like only 3 DFW locations remain - Arlington S. Cooper, Denton, and Keller.

The Allen and more southern Frisco locations did not stay in business very long, but the Addison one had been there a very long time (10+ years, I'd guess) and the more northern Frisco location was there quite a few years too (probably 5-7 years).

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 3/19/2014 10:26a).]
putu
AG
Is it not a good business model? Location? Management?

I'll admit, I never really ate their pizza, just picked up pep.rolls from time to time since they were on the way home.

They also had a location near Northeast Mall (where 5 guys is now) that closed soon after that Freebirds opened across the street. That was heaven for a short period of time...
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's a combination of things. The pricing for whole pizzas was quite high and just not very competitive with other options that most consumers are just fine with. So you're left surviving on the buffet business, and if you aren't running a cheap-ass machine like Cici's or have a lot of family/games draw like Gattiland, I'm assuming it can be tough to survive.

I don't think there is a lot of consumer awareness about the pepporoni rolls in major markets. It always seemed like Aggies were the only ones that really seemed to know about them. So to a lot of folks, it was just a pizza joint where the delivery/take-home options were overpriced, it was a more expensive buffet than Cici's, and there was no draw to have kids begging their parents to go there.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 3/19/2014 11:25a).]
CoppellAg93
AG
Anyone know when the Euless location is closing ? Going to be in the area this weekend for a baseball tournament and we usually eat there after the games.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It appears to already be gone. It's not on the website anymore. Given my own experience with their previous closures, they are typically already closed without much fanfare and before you realize it. On at least 2 of them, I went to the location to eat there before realizing it was no longer open.
Texker
AG
It's been years but there used to be one in Richardson near Campbell and 75.
Yesterday
AG
The pizza business has to be one of the toughest to break into. I mean the restaurant business is hard as it is but when you have a competitor with a better brand, better marketing and a cheaper product on every corner, you better have a badass pizza.
Objective Aggie
AG
The Denton DD is not nearly as good at the College Station locations.
HaveGoodGetGive
AG
i used to work at a DD back in school. I had a hankering for rolls last weekend and the one by me closed long ago.

I went to a local pizza joint and asked for large dough ball, which they sold me for 3 bucks. Came home rolled it out. Put half slice of provolone cheese and 6 pepperonis on the outside of the rolled out dough in 8 equal spaces. use a pizza cutter to cut out the 8 sections. Smash the middle so the dough sticks to the counter. Take the fat end of one of your sections where the cheese and pepperoni is then roll like a croissant pulling back slightly each time so its not too fat. Let them rest for 5-10 mins, then squeeze the air out of each one. Preheat oven to 400-450. Put some foil on a backing sheet with some nonstick, then put the rolls in the oven for about 10 mins. They should be brown on the top. Get some ranch and enjoy. You never have a need for DD again.
putu
AG
HaveGood...

Thank you!

3 things:

1)I think we need to have a demonstration of such technique.

2)Do you know what brand the ranch dressing was?

3) I have found an AWESOME frozen pizza dough at Central Market and Market St. Its called New York Pizza Dough. They come in a 2 pack for about $5.

Pro Ag
AG
I am also going to have to try this.

Any advice on making a cheese steak stromboli.
AgFB
AG
The south cooper location was absolutely terrible the last time we went there. Service bad and I think they popped out 10 rolls the entire 45 minutes we were there.
Wheatables02
AG
Weekday buffet rules at s cooper location!
Hincemm
AG
There was once in Mansfield open for what seemed like only a year. Went once and it was bad.

I'm also 5 min from s cooper and never been. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Even back in college, I was not a dd p1 though so I never got the hoopla
AgFB
AG
25 cent pepperoni rolls at the one of northgate was a major player in my freshman 75.

That Mansfield one seemed like a good location but failed quickly. There was also one in Waxahachie that is now a fuzzys.
jassportsfan
AG
My favorite thing about Double Dave's, other than the pizza rolls of course, was the desert pizza. That stuff was amazing! I always make a point to eat there when I'm back in College Station but for some reason I've never eaten at one in DFW.
rynning
AG
The Frisco location closed about a 1-2 years ago. We stopped going so much when their consistency went down hill. Sometimes great. Sometimes not. They lost our delivery order once. Another time the pepperoni roles were almost burnt.
Know Your Enemy
AG
NOOOOOOO! The Euless location delivers to my house. I already had to suffer through the Wings 'N More closing. Not this too.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I just called them. The number still works but no one answered.
HaveGoodGetGive
AG
The ranch is one of the major brands, cant remember which one. It was just a giant flavor packet that we mixed up. Choosing your favorite bottle at the grocery store will do the trick.

Next time I make it, ill throw it on youtube for you guys.

Stromboli - these use a small dough ball, and are rolled out with corn meal rather than flower to give it more texture and crunch. Roll it out to an 8-10 inch circle. put your filling in the middle of the circle. You can really use anything. The beef we used was pre-cooked and we just added some shredded american to it. After you get your filling in, fold two of the sides over to the middle then fold it over like a burrito. make four or so slices on the top, just enough to cut the dough. We brushed it with clarified butter as well, but you can probably just use melted butter on top to achieve the same thing. Cook at 400 or so for 8-10 mins (check halfway through to gauge the time). Since your filling is already precooked, you are just cooking the crust and melting the cheese. When its done, use a pizza cutter to slice along where you did your slits prior to cooking. I haven't tried to do one of these since working there so I'm going off memory, so there may be a little trial and error.
double aught
AG
Bumping this because I tried my hand at the peproni rolls last night. They turned out pretty good. Thanks havegood!
FincAg
AG
I'm thinking assorted pizza rolls for my next watch party, just need to perfect the fillings.
Gigem_94
AG
Figured would give this a bump since I Stumbled across this looking for DD in metroplex - football and rolls just go together. At least now I (and most of us in DFW) can make my own now.
fistofsouth
I live in Denton and a few years back our DD sucked, but that has changed. Order them for delivery regularly and pepperoni rolls, pizzas, strombolis and salads have all been perfect.
Ag CPA
AG
I've been to the one in Keller a couple of times the past year and it's just like the DD on Southgate was back in the 90's, good pepperoni rolls and crappy pizza.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.