Austin
Sponsored by

Project Connect - Now 2X initial estimate...

1,651 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/project-connect-light-rails-will-likely-cost-10-3b-twice-as-much-as-planned/amp/

Government thievery at its finest. Can pitch whatever they want to voters and zero accountability.

Shortfall? No problem...eventually will have tax payers chip in more. Even the federal grants weren't guaranteed.
500,000ags
AG
Cost of real estate went from $250MM to $940MM. Gtfoh
evan_aggie
AG
Where did the other $4B come from??
Martin Cash
AG
As long as they keep electing communists to run their city, Austinites deserve every bit of this.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
MouthBQ98
AG
This is my surprised face.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
this is a city that voted overwhelmingly against an audit. The politicians are accountable to people who don't care because it makes them feel good to waste other people's money on nonsense.
rcannaday
AG
Surprise, surprise. No accountability, no auditing, no review, this is what happens when you elect known communist to run your city.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
And also no one votes

Although this won't effect any tax paper by any nominal amount

I am sure real estate and cost of materials went up, but who is in charge of scope, obviously the tunnel is the most expensive part and they tripled the length, like why other than boondoggling
evan_aggie
AG
They say it won't effect anything today. So what happens in 3 years when they can't accomplish even half of what they promised at a given price and if federal money doesn't land?

They will reboot a bond or something else stupid to make up for it.
KT 90
AG
evan_aggie said:

They say it won't effect anything today. So what happens in 3 years when they can't accomplish even half of what they promised at a given price and if federal money doesn't land?

They way I understand it is that a certain amount wasn't approved (like for bonds), but rather a pretty much permanent tax rate was approved to fund it. So this may never go away if they can just keep adding more and more onto the total tab and claim it is all part of Project Connect.

You have to ask at this point, is there any way out of this? It would probably take another election to get this boondoggle overridden.

Aggieangler93
AG
KT 90 said:

evan_aggie said:

They way I understand it is that a certain amount wasn't approved (like for bonds), but rather a pretty much permanent tax rate was approved to fund it. So this may never go away if they can just keep adding more and more onto the total tab and claim it is all part of Project Connect.

You have to ask at this point, is there any way out of this? It would probably take another election to get this boondoggle overridden.

I'm sadly with you, and I don't see this ever going away. The first portion of it was very ineptly managed, way over budget, and extremely late. Guess what happened after that? People love the romantic idea of it, but these same people cannot balance their home checkbook, nor do they expect anyone else to, so they voted for more of it!!!! It's a touchy feely masterpiece for the folks getting rich off of it. Most times, the people pushing for it the hardest are folks that know where it is going and have already bought up that ROW so they can profit massively off that transaction. Or they are some management company that is going to make money off of it somehow with a percentage of the taxes, not a percentage of the ticketed ridership. Roads aren't sexy, but when everyone prefers to drive a car, see the study below, they are what is effective. A sexy looking concept drawing of a rail station and a sleek (although empy ironically enough) train, gets lots of votes.

Here's a great study on light rail:

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/bridges/winter-20032004/lightrail-transit-myths-and-realities

It's a geography problem. It won't work in a sparsely populated southern city, as it will never have more than 1 to 2 pct of the people ride it. Heck, how much has Austin ridership increased in 2022 with gas prices up 2 or 3 times their normal price? I would guess hardly any, although I haven't looked TBH.

Unless you work and live within a mile or two of the station on both ends, it doesn't make sense. Austin is not a densely packed urban area where these type systems thrive due to massive amounts of riders in a very small space needing transport. Sure, downtown is dense in some areas for maybe 10 or 15 blocks, but I am talking about something like Manhattan Island with 1.7 million people living in 22 square miles. That's the kind of place where rail works, and even there, it is below ground because the land up top costs way too much. That's some of the most dense real estate on the planet. But if you can't see the difference between Austin and Manhattan in terms of why it would work there, and not here, then I am wasting my breath.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
evan_aggie
AG
I remember looking up the population density of Austin. It's similar to Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska.

Supporters try to say that investment is needed now for the growth to 2040-2050. I find it hard to believe aside from a few key spots that it would really be utilized to the extent needed.

Atlanta's MARTA is one of the few cities in the south that I think spans long distances and has a large network.

Only 3.5% of commuters use MARTA. 80-85% drive to work.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
TBH the train station needs to be Texas summer walking distance in a coat and tie from my house and my destination, that's realistically half a mile. Once I'm in my car, I'm driving. If the station at the State Hostpital, 4th and congress and the airport get added I'll use it 3-5x a week, otherwise it ain't happening
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.