Austin
Sponsored by

Homeless to be housed on Convict Hill Rd next to Covington Middle School

2,952 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KT 90
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/new-city-of-austin-reveals-location-of-2-proposed-homeless-encampment-sites/

What a disaster. In the middle of a neighborhood and next to Mopac and Brodie Ln
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Won't happen

Quote:

The City says those two sites will go under further review and consideration. Both locations will require rezoning .The release says staff could start gathering stakeholder feedback on both properties in August which would include community meetings, opportunities to speak at City Council meetings, and community surveys via SpeakUp Austin

NIMBY will be out in full force and atleast one of these will be shuffled to a new location similar to the last release. I encourage everyone to make their feelings known via the official city platforms
LostInLA07
AG
What an awful location. That's right in the middle of a neighborhood, next to a middle school and close to a lot of restaurants. Basically right across mopac from CircleC. What could go wrong?
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
They are doing this because they expect the citizens to be outraged with this plan.

Adler and the city council will then throw up their hands and say that they did the best that they could.

This will then green light the current status quo of letting the homeless live wherever they want.

Just wait and see.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That is believable but also gives them alot of credit

Two of the homeless hotels just opened up and camp cleanouts start Aug 9th. Citations have already been issued so we will see.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
LostInLA07 said:

What an awful location. That's right in the middle of a neighborhood, next to a middle school and close to a lot of restaurants. Basically right across mopac from CircleC. What could go wrong?

It's not anywhere near Circle C. Lots of other neighborhoods though.
MouthBQ98
AG
You can be sure the council is vindictive enough to try and move the homeless into communities they perceive as more likely to have supported the camping ban reinstatement.

Also, ironic location name for a homeless encampment given how many end up incarcerated at some point.
They are writing tickets to homeless? How are they going to collect the revenue?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Most don't incur a financial penalty, usually see the judge assigned rehab, counseling ect
And what is to compel them to show up to court? They gonna get a summons to their mailing address?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Nothing but that's the stage we are at in attempting to unwind the damage done by allowing them to camp in the first place
Aust Ag
AG
I can't think of anywhere in the city limits that people aren't going to yell, "Not in my backyard!" Just like prisons. Everybody thinks we need more, just not near my neighborhood.
87IE
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

You can be sure the council is vindictive enough to try and move the homeless into communities they perceive as more likely to have supported the camping ban reinstatement.

Also, ironic location name for a homeless encampment given how many end up incarcerated at some point.
Yup... back when they were "allowing" camping they somehow banned it around city hall.

I'll be totally shocked if they ever come up with an encampment in Tarrytown or pretty much anywhere in the 78703 Zip code (besides down by Austin High).

I live a couple of miles away from the Convict Hill location and am not very popular when discussing this with neighbors and I say "we get what we voted for". They know I'm a conservative and get pissed off when I point out the results of "their" policies...

It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG
The location on Convict Hill is about a mile from Dick Nichols Park/Violet Crown Trail. Lots of scantily clad women walking/jogging in wooded areas.

What could go wrong?
ByrdEWhiteTrash said:

The location on Convict Hill is about a mile from Dick Nichols Park/Violet Crown Trail. Lots of scantily clad women walking/jogging in wooded areas.

What could go wrong?
Doesn't anyone follow the damn rules around here anymore?
philevans
AG
we live .4 mile nw of that lot.
two day care and jr hi school within .2 mile from location.
two churches within .3 mile.
only area in austin that has a city council member that is republican.
mayor defunded police, mayor not for America to excel.
TXlic GIGM61
mic suede
philevans said:

we live .4 mile nw of that lot.
two day care and jr hi school within .2 mile from location.
two churches within .3 mile.
only area in austin that has a city council member that is republican.
mayor defunded police, mayor not for America to excel.

Karen just learned what NIMBY means.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

They are writing tickets to homeless? How are they going to collect the revenue?

Toilet paper is a basic human right, you know!!!
tamc91
AG
There are no republicans on the council now. Ellen Troxclair was the lone republican, but didn't run as the incumbent. She was good. Her office responded to one inquiry I made. I'm guessing she got tired of being the one lone voice of reason in a group of idiots.

I've made two inquiries to Paige Ellis' (took district 8 seat) office and have not received any response, not even a canned email. One was regarding the increasing crime rates after their horrible de-funding the police posturing and one was about the homeless situation. Totally ignored. My taxes will soon be supporting a different town, county, and ISD....
The Fall Guy
AG
Makenzie is a conservative on the council.
KT 90
AG
tamc91 said:

There are no republicans on the council now. Ellen Troxclair was the lone republican, but didn't run as the incumbent. She was good. Her office responded to one inquiry I made. I'm guessing she got tired of being the one lone voice of reason in a group of idiots.

I've made two inquiries to Paige Ellis' (took district 8 seat) office and have not received any response, not even a canned email. One was regarding the increasing crime rates after their horrible de-funding the police posturing and one was about the homeless situation. Totally ignored. My taxes will soon be supporting a different town, county, and ISD....

Ditto here regarding Ellis' office, not a peep of a reply, ever.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.