Austin
Sponsored by

Shoulder injury / torn labrum

1,472 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HumpitPuryear
Throwout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Robert Graham is who I used when I tore my labrum. His website/contact info is below. I know it sucks having a high deductible and sometimes having to pay out of pocket, but I definitely wouldn't skimp on any of it. The range of motion is crazy in the shoulder and you want it to go back to normal as much as possible. I would get the best diagnostic, the best doctor and the best physical therapist I could. And get a shoulder doctor--not just a sports doctor.

And don't skimp on the physical therapy. It's really hard to trust your shoulder all over again when something like this happens. They actually had to put me back under because my shoulder "froze" during the physical therapy and healing process. Fire away if you have any other questions.

https://austinshouldersurgery.com/
Froppe
AG
If Dr. Graham recommends shoulder surgery, I'd highly recommend getting a second opinion before proceeding. He told me I needed rotator cuff surgery, and prescribed physical therapy prior to the surgery. My physical therapist took one look at me, and refused to do anything else. She told me that my problem was a herniated disk in my neck, and that I needed to contact my spine surgeon ASAP. I did so, and his MRI confirmed her diagnosis. I was in and out of the hospital with a quick fusion, and no more shoulder pain.

Dr. Graham had been highly recommended, and all I've heard about him has been great. I'm just passing along my personal experience. Oh, and when I called about picking up my X-rays prior to going to see my spine doc, I was told that they were so busy at Dr. Graham's office, that it would be the next day before I could pick them up. Well, I was in that part of town anyway, so I dropped by his office to see if I might be able to get them a bit earlier. They were supposedly "closed" for lunch, but had forgotten to lock the front door. When I went in, all the staff was sitting in the lunch room, with one guy playing a guitar, and having a singalong. Dr. Graham wasn't there, but I did manage to pick up my X-rays.
jmm
I had multiple tears fixed by Seade this past June. Google his site. Very impressed with his professionalism, PA and most importantly the physical therapists. My insurance paid for 35 sessions. 100% range of motion. 100% golf swings and 75% tennis groundstrokes. Serve is not impressive to date but working with private trainer to improve core, lats, pecs, etc. to help with shoulder strength in the full range.
aggiederelict
I also really like Dr. Carolyn Hyde. Smart doc.
TxAgg07
AG
Just went and saw her this past Monday. Was impressed with her. Very thorough in explaining everything to me. A little bit on the technical side, but still very much appreciated.
aggiederelict
Yeah she gets a bit technical for the laymen and draws a lot of pictures but I appreciate her thoroughness.
Credible Source
AG
Eddie Seade is who did mine. I dislocated my shoulder every few months for nearly a decade, haven't had any issue with it since surgery in 2015
HumpitPuryear
AG
Another vote for Dr Seade. Seemed very conservative in his treatment recommendations. We tried rehab and cortisone treatments but ultimately had surgery and my shoulder is pretty much trouble free now. I think shoulders is all he does and he's done lots of em.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.