Austin
Sponsored by

Industrial Distribution grads In Austin

2,037 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FightnAg02
COSCAG67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm doing some research on the ID career path and am looking for info on different routes this career path can take (job titles, what you do, salary ranges to expect if you are willing to share, and any advice you would give to someone just starting off). Also, if you have any insight on the masters program and what it can do for you, please do share.
BMach
AG
MID class of '18 here. I'm in outside commercial tire sales. I was very impressed with the MID program, knowledgeable instructors and extremely hospitable staff. The most valuable takeaways were the friendships and networking opportunities with my classmates. Is there something specific about the program that you'd like to know?
COSCAG67
AG
I'll send you a dm
MouthBQ98
AG
My brother took the masters program and he's been in power equipment, offshore O&G rig operations and engineering, and is now in power turbine applications.

I am an ID grad that has worked in telecom network design, network planning, data analysis, and offshore O&G rig warehousing, logistics, and supply chain mgmt. I am currently back in telecom doing network design.

The program is well rounded and sets up well for any technical first level management or management trainee job. Don't be afraid to start low and show what you are capable of, as the degree is just a toe in the door, but it does give a useful broad technical knowledge base.
COSCAG67
AG
Are you able to do that type of work (O&G) out of the Austin area? Or does that require a move to houston, south tx, etc?
MouthBQ98
AG
I was in Houston doing O&G but that doesn't mean there is no opportunities in Austin. It's just much more prevalent in Houston. It can be hard to break into unless you make some contacts inside the business, I will say that, but if you can network with some people you can find work. One thing: it fluctuates a lot with the price of oil. Just about everyone I know that was in it has been laid off at least once, me included.
COSCAG67
AG
I guess if you have something else to fall back on during the downturns, then O&G is probably still worth pursuing.
Tobias Funke
AG
I'm an ID Grad who has worked in healthcare sales for nearly 15 years. Loved the coursework and I guess I use some of what I studied, but mostly haven't used my degree at all.

TLDR: I won't be much help here, sorry!
COSCAG67
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I'm an ID Grad who has worked in healthcare sales for nearly 15 years. Loved the coursework and I guess I use some of what I studied, but mostly haven't used my degree at all.

TLDR: I won't be much help here, sorry!

So how do you get into healthcare sales? I've got nearly 10 yrs of direct sales but haven't gotten much traction with the pharma / device groups here locally (Temple).
Tobias Funke
AG
Truly lucked out. I joined this company when there were about 20 employees, and it's grown to over 700 in multiple states. I started in a practice operations role and over time moved into fulltime sales and management.

Wish I knew the silver bullet for landing a gig in healthcare sales, but most people in that world say it's very tough right now to get in. I would say if that's what you're most interested in, network as much as possible and somebody will give you a chance if your personality fits what they're looking for.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
In a semi serious response, be better looking
COSCAG67
AG
I'll work on that. Thanks guy.
vic99
AG
ID99 (00)

Medical Device.

Love the degree plan but it's really all about the networking or at least it was back then.
FightnAg02
I'm an ID grad, class of '02. Vice President of a Control & Automation rep firm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.