Austin
Sponsored by

Project Connect

5,198 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cowboy Curtis
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flannigan:
-Adler backs him
-Was for defunding police, and was a proponent of pausing TRAINING for new police dating back to 2018
-Is a proponent for prop A, also was for all of the props that passed in 2019 (?) except the one that would audit city council's spending
-Has tons of articles out there on his failed businesses

I am sure he will get relected, but this is awful. Who is the 'next best' to win? It's almost a failed cause considering 4 total people are running.
Charpie
AG
When he ran the first time, he worked his ass off. His folks were at my house at least twice a week.

It was awesome not to vote for him.
evan_aggie
AG
FALE said:

Jaw said:

This thing doesn't serve half the city.

According to wiki the rail had a daily ridership of 2,900 in 2014. It's 2020 now so lets say we double that figure....hell, triple....ah for f***k sake let's quadruple that number. We're doing all this for about 12,000 people and spending how much?

This will be the number 1 thing I'll be voting on today. That and voting Flannigan out.

CapMetro doesn't like to advertise the boondoggle of their Leander light rail, so you won't find any articles about increased ridership (since it doesn't exist) or a decrease in ridership.

They are averaging about 1800-2400 riders per day 2016-2019 with no real uptick.
ridership-stats

tailgatetimer10
AG
I think the CoA forgot my neighborhood exist.
PabloSerna
AG
For those that are pointing out that this does not serve "half the city" - it's designed to reduce overall traffic due to increased ridership. This is more of a "build it and they will ride it" kind of thing.

A few of other points:

1. I think the City of Austin has some of the best, smartest people working on Code Next and the future transit plans. Unfortunately it is so far ahead of the thinking it is leaving people behind with unanswered questions like the one above.

2. Any town planning that centers around more highways and more parking is doomed to be a financial failure in the long run. Don't think so? Do a little research. Cars/trucks are not the future. Is it any wonder that California is looking at phasing out fossil fuel based new vehicles? That doesn't mean that people won't collect these type of cars, but they won't be as common. We are in the midst of a transit shift from the automobile to virtual centers. COVID-19 has actually accelerated this shift.

3. The City of Austin is looking far, far ahead. They have to, this plan will take 20 years to work out. We won't be in hovercrafts (maybe?) yet - but we are heading away from reliance on the automobile and I commend the City Council for realizing this.

ps; I lived in Austin for years, in Bouldin Creek. Work in Austin today, but have bought into this type of walkable community in nearby Bastrop TX. We are already looking at utilizing technology to work from home - thanks COVID!

FALE
PabloSerna said:

For those that are pointing out that this does not serve "half the city" - it's designed to reduce overall traffic due to increased ridership. This is more of a "build it and they will ride it" kind of thing.
The rail isn't even serving 1% of the city. And I seriously doubt that 1% is going to put a dent in overall traffic; nothing like working from home has. And ah yes, build it and they will ride it. The mantra of every developer. Don't think so? Do a little research. Look at all the stops and who owns/develops the properties around it. A lot of these stops have large companies in common. Should be your red flag right there.

Quote:

A few of other points:

1. I think the City of Austin has some of the best, smartest people working on Code Next and the future transit plans. Unfortunately it is so far ahead of the thinking it is leaving people behind with unanswered questions like the one above.

Anyone else find this condescending?

Quote:

2. Any town planning that centers around more highways and more parking is doomed to be a financial failure in the long run. Don't think so? Do a little research. Cars/trucks are not the future. Is it any wonder that California is looking at phasing out fossil fuel based new vehicles? That doesn't mean that people won't collect these type of cars, but they won't be as common. We are in the midst of a transit shift from the automobile to virtual centers. COVID-19 has actually accelerated this shift

Good, we don't need to waste money on a system that loses money at most if not all cities per rider. Oh and please don't use california as a beacon of excellence particularly in the field of energy.

Quote:

3. The City of Austin is looking far, far ahead. They have to, this plan will take 20 years to work out. We won't be in hovercrafts (maybe?) yet - but we are heading away from reliance on the automobile and I commend the City Council for realizing this.

Give us your money now, but trust us, our thinking that is leaving all of you behind will benefit you far far in the future probably....maybe....

Quote:

We are already looking at utilizing technology to work from home - thanks COVID!

Good, don't need a rail.
Furlock Bones
AG
tamc93
AG
I think Austin needs more of Bastrop County ideals vs Bastrop County needing more of Austin ideals.

Austin is already screwed up...leave the pine forests alone.
PabloSerna
AG
FALE said:

PabloSerna said:

The rail isn't even serving 1% of the city. And I seriously doubt that 1% is going to put a dent in overall traffic; nothing like working from home has. And ah yes, build it and they will ride it. The mantra of every developer. Don't think so? Do a little research. Look at all the stops and who owns/develops the properties around it. A lot of these stops have large companies in common. Should be your red flag right there.

Quote:

A few of other points:

Anyone else find this condescending?

Quote:

2. Any town planning that centers around more highways and more parking is doomed to be a financial failure in the long run. Don't think so? Do a little research. Cars/trucks are not the future. Is it any wonder that California is looking at phasing out fossil fuel based new vehicles? That doesn't mean that people won't collect these type of cars, but they won't be as common. We are in the midst of a transit shift from the automobile to virtual centers. COVID-19 has actually accelerated this shift

Good, we don't need to waste money on a system that loses money at most if not all cities per rider. Oh and please don't use california as a beacon of excellence particularly in the field of energy.

Quote:

Give us your money now, but trust us, our thinking that is leaving all of you behind will benefit you far far in the future probably....maybe....

Quote:

We are already looking at utilizing technology to work from home - thanks COVID!

Good, don't need a rail.

Since you took the time to respond instead of laughing like an idiot... Help me understand your position:

GIVEN #1: Austin has some of the worst traffic congestion in the country.

GIVEN #2: The Austin real estate market is among the fastest growing in the country. The average cost for a new home in the Austin Metro is on a record pace. More importantly - there is no sign of slowing down!

GIVEN #3: There is actually a shortage of housing in the Austin market. From talking to my contractor buddies, it maybe let up 1 month in May and that was because of the confusion caused by Mayor Adler. It's gang busters now! I don't have the number off the top of my head, but homes are being sold in days to weeks - not months.

LAST GIVEN #4: Probably the most important aspect of why I think investing in your money maker has a trickle down effect - tax base! The commercial market is on a similar trajectory to the housing market - that is incredible. As we already know - people love Austin and big companies, high tech companies like Apple, IMB, Samsung, AMD - just to name a few - hell... Tesla! Are here in the Austin area. Tesla didn't pick Del Valle - they picked Austin.

1. So now as a City Planner - how do you build?

2. Given all that and more above - what is your answer?

MY RESPONSE:
Keep investing in your money makers like the Downtown core. Improve as many of the major "arterials" such as SoLa (South Lamar) and MLK (East Side). Grow mixed use commercial up and down those big streets. Mueller was a smashing success - do more of that along a public transit system.

I could go on - I want to hear what you guys would do?

FALE
PabloSerna said:

GIVEN #1: Austin has some of the worst traffic congestion in the country.

GIVEN #2: The Austin real estate market is among the fastest growing in the country. The average cost for a new home in the Austin Metro is on a record pace. More importantly - there is no sign of slowing down!

GIVEN #3: There is actually a shortage of housing in the Austin market. From talking to my contractor buddies, it maybe let up 1 month in May and that was because of the confusion caused by Mayor Adler. It's gang busters now! I don't have the number off the top of my head, but homes are being sold in days to weeks - not months.

You're saying the 10th-11th largest city in the country has some of the worst traffic (11th-20th say most "studies") in the country? That's crazy.

My biggest concern is the growth is coming from blue transplants fleeing costly areas that are making equally absurd proposals THAT DIDN'T WORK and are voting for the SAME CRAP here.

Quote:

LAST GIVEN #4: Probably the most important aspect of why I think investing in your money maker has a trickle down effect - tax base! The commercial market is on a similar trajectory to the housing market - that is incredible. As we already know - people love Austin and big companies, high tech companies like Apple, IMB, Samsung, AMD - just to name a few - hell... Tesla! Are here in the Austin area. Tesla didn't pick Del Valle - they picked Austin.

1. So now as a City Planner - how do you build?

2. Given all that and more above - what is your answer?

MY RESPONSE:
Keep investing in your money makers like the Downtown core. Improve as many of the major "arterials" such as SoLa (South Lamar) and MLK (East Side). Grow mixed use commercial up and down those big streets. Mueller was a smashing success - do more of that along a public transit system.

I could go on - I want to hear what you guys would do?

What's my answer? I know a 10 Billion dollar proposal that is 90% dedicated to a light rail system that only serves AT MOST 1% of a community will NOT alleviate traffic and is NOT an answer. At best it will SLIGHTLY IF ANYTHING AT all slow the growth of traffic. But the community and traffic will continue to grow at such an uncontrollable rate due to suburban sprawl that a light rail is a finger on the dike water flowing over laughable.
evan_aggie
AG
Exactly. Dallas rail stats showed that ridership vs population growth actually decreased (adjusted for growth) and traffic on highways continued to increase.

The density of Austin is less than Portland. It is less than Bend Oregon. Hell, it is less than Lincoln Nebraska...really. 1100 ppl km^2. It is increasing, but we are so far beyond the point of needing rail.

They want to build some rail? Fine, connect the airport to downtown. That will be used more than anything else.
PabloSerna
AG
Did some digging around and came across this report, here's an excerpt:

"The potential of light rail to reduce congestion is indeed limited, particularly in high-demand areas such as the core of Los Angeles. But that's not a reason to abandon light rail projects. Rather, policymakers should remember that the fundamental purpose of light rail investments is to promote transit use and increase person throughput across their service corridors. Light rail can effectively contribute to urban mobility and accessibility even if it can't reduce traffic congestion."

So - it would seem the premise of reliving congestion is being oversold. After reading more about it, building Light Rail is a way to connect more people to the core and arterials.

I still believe Austin needs to take the next step. If I did live in Austin, I would vote for Prop A even if it means kicking in more money every year in taxes.

evan_aggie
AG
So living in Bastrop had nothing to do with the cost of living in Austin? Of paying $15,000-$20,000 a year in taxes?

I just don't get how so many people can't see the cause and effect. Yes, there are high paying jobs, so naturally people will want to come to Austin. But then at the same time, everyone votes yes to just about everything, and THEN we'll complain, "it's so expensive! Austin is becoming unaffordable!".

You know what we need? We need more affordable housing. Let's pass a bond for $250m in AH, and then let's connect everyone together with $7b rail. Austin is becoming too expensive! Let's allow people to build 3 homes on an 8000 ft lot! Wait, what is this? Developers are coming in and buying my neighbors 10,000 ft lot for $600k. Crap, now an empty lot is worth more than yesterday and my taxes are going up.

Hold on...let me think of another way to fund a program to help affordability...oh *****
FALE
Blows my mind when I hear the folks vote for these props because they feel they can afford it and it's good for the community BUT they don't even consider the possibility that there are those in the community that can't afford additional increases in their taxes. "Oh, it's just 300-400 per year". But what about the other props that are just 75-100 per year plus all the additional other props from previous years. All that s*** adds up and it crushing a significant potion of the community.

For once I want to hear, "I can afford it, but my neighbor can't. No thanks."
tailgatetimer10
AG
"it'll be different this time, promise!!"
Furlock Bones
AG
Voted no just as everyone should but unfortunately won't.
500,000ags
AG
It is odd how the left complains of a housing crisis (which I believe there is one) driving homelessness, but most are for one property tax increase after another, which raise the prices of homes and rent. Makes no sense.
PabloSerna
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

"it'll be different this time, promise!!"
Don't get the reference, but I'm sure it was funny in your head.

PabloSerna
AG
Well the Mayor just went on the air claiming victory for Prop A.

While many of you have expressed massive doubt - as someone who knows just enough about Planning and Development to be dangerous - I think this is a monumental day for Austin. While it will take time, probably more than any of us here have - Austin will evolve into a more dense, walkable community that will be better connected to the various neighborhoods and that will be great for business and mass transit.

Stop investing in new roads - they are not the future!

Cowboy Curtis
el_scorcho
evan_aggie
MouthBQ98
AG
Congrats. Effectively lighting several billion tax dollars on fire like Keith Ledger's Joker.
La Migra
Cool, I wasn't counting on using that 500/yr to make up for Biden's rescinding of the tax cuts.

My money is always in good hands of the government.
Charpie
tamc93
AG
PabloSerna said:

as someone who knows just enough about Planning and Development to be dangerous - I think this is a monumental day for Austin.

This is just scary...

The exodus from unaffordable Austin will be forthcoming. Sadly, it will screw up other jurisdictions since people "liked" unaffordable Austin and California.
rathAG05
AG
I'm in spicewood, but still Travis county. Will the tax increase impact me?
tamc93
AG
rathAG05 said:

The Austin tax should not, but you can almost bet that Travis County will "participate" in some way.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
rathAG05 said:

Opposite for me. Hays co but Austin adddress. Boourns. Boo damn urns.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
tamc93 said:

rathAG05 said:

The Austin tax should not, but you can almost bet that Travis County will "participate" in some way.

Yep, a dem took Gerald Daugherty's seat.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.