Austin
Sponsored by

Anderson Lane Shopping Center

2,173 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by evan_aggie
TXAGEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was taking a trip down memory lane with my dad, reminiscing about all of the old Austin restaurants and stores we used to go to when I was a kid. There was a shopping center on Anderson Lane, west of Northcross Mall, east of Shoal Creek and next to the post office. From Burnet, headed towards Mopac, it would've been on the right. It had a movie theatre, and if memory serves, some kind of pond in the center, sort of like Hancock Center.

Does anyone remember the name of the shopping center?
Billy Foster
AG
Where Swensons Ice Cream was? Now Cover 3? I can't recall the name of the center but we spent a lot time at that Fuddruckers after some NW Little League games. We'd catch the frogs in the little "creek" that ran between shops. Check google maps street view. I don't think the name has changed, just the shops/tenets. IIRC the shopping center marque sign is still by the light.
expresswrittenconsent
2J's had the best burgers back in the day.
Senator Blutarski
AG
I think you are referring to The Village.
The Fish Pond is behind this building:
TXAGEE
AG
Senator Blutarski said:

Yep, that's it. For some reason "The Village" doesn't ring a bell. On Sunday nights after church, our youth group would alternate going to the Fuddruckers, Mr. Gattis across the street and the Sonic on Burnet next to Northcross. Some nights we'd throw Putt Putt in, too. Even before that, we had to come in to Rooster Andrews for baseball and football equipment. I was always in awe of their inventory.
TXAGEE
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

2J's had the best burgers back in the day.

We ate a lot of burgers and chicken from 2-Js on 183 north.
expresswrittenconsent
78681AG said:

Senator Blutarski said:

Yep, that's it. For some reason "The Village" doesn't ring a bell. On Sunday nights after church, our youth group would alternate going to the Fuddruckers, Mr. Gattis across the street and the Sonic on Burnet next to Northcross. Some nights we'd throw Putt Putt in, too. Even before that, we had to come in to Rooster Andrews for baseball and football equipment. I was always in awe of their inventory.

That Sonic was cool as a kid because instead of a drive-in, they had indoor dining and the tables all had the little call boxes for ordering.
That Rooster Andrews had great sporting goods, and carried stuff like "real" baseball caps from the local high schools.
Then OSHMANS SUPER SPORTS came and crushed them.
Btron
AG
but you could ski on carpet conveyer belts at Oshmans!
Senator Blutarski
AG
Don't forget the single lane archery range.
The Silverback
AG
Oshmans....that is a blast from the past
FaceMask
Korea House was my first experience in sushi and korean food. Wonder if it's still around. The pond was right in front of that place in the courtyard.
Aust Ag
AG
What happened to Oshmans, they were like Academy. They must have had some bad mgmt.
expresswrittenconsent
Aust Ag said:

What happened to Oshmans, they were like Academy. They must have had some bad mgmt.

The internet happened. malls and big box stores have been dying since. And Northcross Mall was never a good mall even when malls were popular. It was always 2nd or 3rd tier to highland mall and Barton creek mall, and that's before Lakeline came along and by that point northcross was just an empty building where old people went to walk in thr early mornings.
pablof
Lots of cruising at Northcross in the 70's. Good times!
Aggieangler93
AG
We used to hang around that area too. Holiday House burgers, Top Notch burgers, and Fuddruckers. Monterrey House mexican food a little further down Burnet towards 183 near Pizza Inn, and Lonestar Cafe for CFS.

We didn't know how good we had it back then. We would ride in the bed of the pickup truck from 183/Burnet to Cedar Park, and only see 20 or 30 cars.

Always hit Oshman's weekly at Northcross to see what kind of guns/ammo/golf deals they had going on.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Potcake
AG
I was picking up a to-go order at El Mercado a few years ago and someone was telling a story about dove hunting where Northcross is now. I think they said it was as late as the 70's, could that be right?
Btron
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Aust Ag said:

The internet happened. malls and big box stores have been dying since. And Northcross Mall was never a good mall even when malls were popular. It was always 2nd or 3rd tier to highland mall and Barton creek mall, and that's before Lakeline came along and by that point northcross was just an empty building where old people went to walk in thr early mornings.

Umm northcross had an ice rink, bad A arcade in Tilt, movie theater, Furrs all you can eat, Claire's, lambs candy, Hooters and an islabd where you can buy Pogs. What more could you?
Aust Ag
AG
That sounds a little too late for that at Northcross, thought my uncle told me he used to hunt deer in Steiner Ranch in the 70's.
TXAGEE
AG
I grew up in north Austin, near TI, and the nearest public pool was Northwest Pool. That high dive was the highlight of summer. Every time I see the pool scene from Caddyshack, I think of it.
Senator Blutarski
AG
Wow, I totally forgot about the movie theatre at Northcross. Went there for Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Potcake
AG
HEB still there

I'm surprised that drive-in was dirty movies being in Allandale

7-11 building still there but closed awhile back. That home sales sign seems to be pointing to my portion of Brentwood. Burnet Rd. going north looks like it's caliche

Original location of The Frisco?
evan_aggie
AG
FaceMask said:

Korea House was my first experience in sushi and korean food. Wonder if it's still around. The pond was right in front of that place in the courtyard.

It is and still does quite a bit of business.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.